PDA

View Full Version : Favorite bench position?

Jay Maiers
06-19-2011, 10:05 AM
What's your ideal bench position? Out in the center of the room with access to all sides, or up against a wall?

I've got lumber for my first real bench sitting in the shop at my office. I'm 95% done with the design work and prints. I've got to decide if I want this thing to be a little wider and set it out in the center of the room, or limit the width to 23"-24" and push it up against the wall. I've got room to make it work either way, but putting it out in the center of the room would limit other options in my basement shop.

I like the idea of access to all sides; I just don't know if it's necessary or not.
I also like the idea of having the bench next to the wall; having wall mounted (over the bench) storage for the tools that I use most often would be nice.

Help!

Two more quick points:

I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to neander tools. I don't have enough experience to tell me how I should be working, or how I really want to work. Thus, building my bench to fit my work style is impossible.

This bench is not the last bench I'll ever build. A lot of thought and planning has gone in to the design, but it's still a pseudo-temporary bench that should work well for several years. By then I expect I'll have a better idea of what I need from a bench, and will be happy to rebuild if necessary.

Tom Vanzant
06-19-2011, 11:12 AM
My bench is neither in the center nor against a wall. It's a small bench @ 60" x 18", and stands about 14" from the wall, within easy reach of the tool racks and cabinets on the wall, but not beneath them. Working access is from the front and vise end, but clamping access is from all sides.

Jeff Wittrock
06-19-2011, 11:28 AM
My shop doubles as the garage (or the garage doubles as the shop depending who in my family you talk to).

During the week when I don't have much time to work in the shop, my bench is up against the wall so the vehicles can still fit in the garage. I do use the bench like this, but I don't like it as well.

During the weekend, when I have more time to work in the shop, I drag the bench out into the middle of the room, and I like using it here much better. I just find it easier to work on things. My tool chest is a roll around, so I can move it up close to the bench if I need to.

It depends a lot on the type of things you work on as well. Working on smaller projects may be just as easy with the bench against the wall.

Mark Salomon
06-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Well, I guess the first question that you need to ask you is how you plan to use the bench and for what type of woodworking. For example, if the size of your shop requires you to be able to use the bench for assembly you need to be able to get to both sides; if you're only dovetailing then it's not so important. Are you going to be mixing paint, fixing the lawnmower, etc. If you're only doing woodworking and have enough space to have a separate assembly table I suggest that you make the bench fairly small--say 18in deep by 5 or 6 feet long. You'll be able to easily drag it out if you need to get to both sides. You didn't say what vises you plan on installing but I'd recommend a quick release front vise--as large as you can afford. You'll be amazed at how convenient a fast acting front vise will be.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2011, 12:21 PM
My bench is free standing. It does have a shelf table behind it to hold tools and such. The ability to get all around it is limited by the shelf, but things can be moved when needed. That is one reason why my next bench will have a tool tray and possibly some other storage built in.

If one is meticulous in putting away a tool before reaching for the next one, then a tool tray may nothing more than a dirt and debris collector. If you like to have a few tools close at hand while working, then a tray to keep tools out of the way while working may be very useful.

For some of my work styles, a bench against the wall wouldn't work out. When shooting end grain on long boards, the shooting board is hooked on the face of the bench and the plane direction is across the bench. It wouldn't work if there was a wall hindering the plane's movement. Of course, if there were a tool tray, being against the wall might not hinder shooting board use across the bench.

The real determinator in your consideration will depend on what you will be doing with your bench. My work is varied from small items to large shelves and other furniture. I sometimes plane stock that is longer than my bench. That is one reason my to do list includes building a new bench.

If my main pursuit in woodworking was building pencil boxes and humidors, then my bench situation could be quite different.

The reason there are so many correct opinions on this is that we all see this from the view point of how we use our set ups. In the end it comes down to what best suits an individual's style of work and what kind of work they are doing.

jtk

Gordon Eyre
06-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Actually my bench is not in the center of the room but I do leave enough space to access all sides. It works good for me.

Frank Drew
06-19-2011, 3:28 PM
I've only worked with the bench against the wall, but I never worked in a shop big enough to put the workbenches out in the middle of the floor space.

But I do like having close access to tool hanging on the wall behind the bench and on nearby shelves; with both shoulder and tail vises, I can't say I ever missed not having access to the back of the bench.

Mike Siemsen
06-19-2011, 3:42 PM
I have worked with my bench against a wall and out in the open. It is more a factor of how much space you have than anything. 24 inches is wide enough for a bench, longer is always better, so make it as long as you reasonably can. Try it in the middle of the room and try it against the wall. It is movable so you can change your mind at any time or pull it out and push it back when you feel the need to.
You are over thinking it. The main thing is that the top goes up.
Mike

Frank Drew
06-19-2011, 4:06 PM
I have worked with my bench against a wall and out in the open.... The main thing is that the top goes up.

Mike,

The top goes up where? How do you mean?

Dave Anderson NH
06-19-2011, 5:32 PM
Personally I have worked with the bench against a wall (my old bench ) and with it out in the open with all 4 sides available as a work station. I much prefer the ability to work from all 4 sides and even from a corner if an oddball workpiece requires it. My current bench show in the picture is 42" from the wall which allows plenty of space to work. One of the key things for me is the knowledge that I tend toward being a slob and leaving tools out where they can roll off the bench (always point first ) and damage themselves on the concrete floor. As a result, all of the tools are readily accessible on a wall behind where I am working and they are quick and easy to put away. I had once thought of building a tool cabinet, but that would make it harder (by microseconds) for me to put the tools away and it would likely not happen.

My old bench was 28" x 72" and with the 28" against the wall it is a bit too far to reach for tools on a wall behind it. The current bench is 24" x 90" and has been plenty wide for me.

I vote for out in the open where you can make full use of all sides.

Jay Maiers
06-19-2011, 9:59 PM
One of the key things for me is the knowledge that I tend toward being a slob and leaving tools out where they can roll off the bench (always point first ) and damage themselves on the concrete floor. As a result, all of the tools are readily accessible on a wall behind where I am working and they are quick and easy to put away. I had once thought of building a tool cabinet, but that would make it harder (by microseconds) for me to put the tools away and it would likely not happen.

Dave, that's a pretty nice setup. My wife says I should probably follow your lead. Apparently she believes I have some organizational deficiencies. :D

Thanks to all for your input and advice. I'm going to rearrange a few things and start with my bench away from the wall. I'll hang the wall mounted tool storage up above the bench top level just to keep some options open.

Mark Baldwin III
06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
This question is really meant to poke fun at those of us who don't have room to put the bench in the middle of the shop! :) My little shop is 7x12, so my bench is against the wall. I really think I would prefer to have access all the way around. Wait a sec...my living room is big enough...

Stew Hagerty
06-21-2011, 1:15 PM
Well I think I've got my setup pretty well optimized for my needs. I do have my bench against the wall, and I like it there because of the access to the tools hanging there. However, the main reason it ia located where it is, is because I am bound to a wheelchair and this layout gives me the most room to move around. However, I do have the option of pulling my bench out away from the wall should I need room around it for a large piece. I set the 600lb bench on Rockler's "All-Terrain Mobile Base" and was instantly amazed at how easily it moves (literally with one finger!), while locking solidly when against the wall. If you haven't seen it here is the link: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21257&filter=42367&pn=42367.

This is a picture of my bench sitting in the garage just as I was beginning to put my shop together:

And here it is sitting on the mobile base:

Notice the little wood blocks between the wheel housing and the feet. My only complaint with the Base is that it tended to bounce a little as the metal frame allowed the wheel housings to flex. By wedging in the wood blocks I stopped the flexing.

This really gives me the best of both worlds in flexibility. I can do wall or center of room as the need arrises.

Jay Maiers
06-21-2011, 2:22 PM
This question is really meant to poke fun at those of us who don't have room to put the bench in the middle of the shop! :) My little shop is 7x12, so my bench is against the wall. I really think I would prefer to have access all the way around. Wait a sec...my living room is big enough...

Lol! You're going to have to get your priorities straight!

Well I think I've got my setup pretty well optimized for my needs. ... This really gives me the best of both worlds in flexibility. I can do wall or center of room as the need arrises.

Huh.
I'd thought about casters or sliders, but was concerned about excess movement. That's a pretty sweet solution. While I'm pretty well settled on starting away from the wall (no casters), the cabinets / table on the other side of the room would really benefit from that system. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Matthew Curtis
06-22-2011, 8:07 AM
I have two 7'x2' benches along my walls under the windows. I also have a 7'x3' in the middle of the shop that also acts as an outfeed table for the tablesaw. only problem is clearing off the table when I need to use it for an outfeed table.

glenn bradley
06-22-2011, 8:35 AM
I voted "center" but, like anther post here, mine has a usable space on one side that runs between the bench and a row of machines. I had the bench in the center of the work area but, found having the space was a good exchange for a slightly limited access from the rear of the bench. The "front" and both ends are wide open.

I've had them against the wall in the past and while workable, greater access opens up methods of work that you would otherwise not use. Clamping across the space, clamping to the bench along both edges, and so forth.

Karl Card
06-25-2011, 9:17 PM
I try and position benches, machinery etc in a way that things dont fall behind them and get lost. If it is up against a wall I put a back on it so that things to do not roll off behind it etc. I hate looking for things and then 2 years later find them tucked away under a bench or tool up against the wall...

Peter Clark
07-03-2011, 2:42 PM
You will most likely end up with both! They each have there atributes. My shop has 8 benches with the biggest (2@4'x8' and 1@4x10) out in the middle. A set of low saw horses with 2 box beams (6"x12") and a sheet of MDF is a great temperary bench. I use them for assmbly and finishing.