PDA

View Full Version : Need new washer & dryer: recommendations?

Ben Beckham
06-19-2011, 9:42 AM
My current washer and dryer is getting sold with the house (I'm not really fond of them anyway) and I'm moving into a rental where I'll need to buy a set.

I don't have much cash lying around, but I'm willing to spend money where it's appropriate. I'd much rather buy a good tool once than crap three times. I know everyone here understands that, so that's why I'm asking for your advice.

I've heard rumblings of this maker is owned by that maker and this brand is manufactured in China and so on, but I don't really know what to believe. I just want a freakin-solid piece of equipment that will last forever and I won't have to think about it again outside of regular maintenance.

Any suggestions?

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-19-2011, 9:50 AM
Consumer reports is often a good starting point for reviews. I would not base my decision solely on CR, but it is a good source for info on features, strengths/weaknesses, and where additional $$ is or is not worth it. Note that all manufacturers have good models bad bad models.

We have had many years of service out of our Kenmore Elite front loaders......but only after dealing with issues that ended with them shipping us a new it. We learned that, as you mention, many names and models are actually built in the same factories. Our problem was a design flaw in the computer controller - and it affected not just Kenmorebut also Whirlpool machines. Since then though, they have worked very well for us.

I suggest comparing features on all machines to find out what works best for you, then reading up on all the reviews you can find to get a sense for long term quality.

Dave Ogren
06-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Ben,
I talked with a repair man a few years ago about the same thing. He said Whirlpool, was the best. I checked a bunch of small businesses that do several loads a day and found out that he was right. Check out small motels, dog groomers, beauticians, etc. and you will find the same thing. I have Maytag about 15+ years old and now can rebuild it in less than 2 hours without much money, so I am going to run them for another 15 years. If money wasn't an object and you wanted to save water etc. the very best washer is a Stauber made in Ohio, buy they were about $1300. I would say buy a good used Whirlpool and learn to repair them yourself. Not hard to do and there are forums on the internet that will help you.

Good Luck,

Dave

Stephen Tashiro
06-19-2011, 10:34 AM
If you've only used top loading washers (like me) you should also ask if front loading machines would be a big adjustment. I've read lots of complains about them on the MySears website and lots of counter-arguments that US consumers don't know how to treat them.

Mike Henderson
06-19-2011, 11:18 AM
I can't give you a brand but I'll make a few comments based on my purchase a short while ago.

First, top loader verses front loader. The problem with the front loader for me is that you need to put them on a pedestal to make them easy to use. Otherwise, you have to bend over quite a bit to get stuff out of them. But if you put them on a pedestal, then the top is too high to use for folding clothes (I often fold on top of the dryer, and sometimes also on the washer). If you have lots of counter space in your laundry room this will not be a problem.

Second, the new washers are a LOT simpler than the old ones. The old washers had a transmission to convert the rotary motion of the electric motor to the various motions needed for washing. The new washers use a special multi-phase motor similar to the three phase motors we're accustom to, and use a VFD to drive it. The motor is connected to the tub with a belt drive (that's it - no transmissions, nothing else). So when the washer is washing, the motor is actually being started in one direction, stopped, then started in the other direction, etc. When the motor needs to run slowly, the VFD runs it slowly, etc. The VFD is built into the motor so if it fails, you have to replace the whole motor (about $250). Otherwise, the only other stuff is the electronics for the controls and any display on the control panel. Very, very simple to service. This design approach has made washers simple, reliable and lower cost to produce.

Dryers have always been a very simple design and that hasn't changed.

Mike

John Shuk
06-19-2011, 11:20 AM
All I can say is DO NOT buy a high efficiency top loader! I've bought two in five years and they were different brands. The Whirlpool was called the collapso when I started looking into the problems we were having on the internet. The GE repairman suggested on his multiple visits that we only use the highest water setting and always warm or hot water. Kind of negates the whole energy saving thing. If unreliability weren't a good enough reason the fact that our clothes were wearing out and not clean. The technology isn't there yet. I now use my mother's 10 year old traditional top loader and my clothes are once again clean.

Mike Henderson
06-19-2011, 11:23 AM
All I can say is DO NOT buy a high efficiency top loader! I've bought two in five years and they were different brands. The Whirlpool was called the collapso when I started looking into the problems we were having on the internet. The GE repairman suggested on his multiple visits that we only use the highest water setting and always warm or hot water. Kind of negates the whole energy saving thing. If unreliability weren't a good enough reason the fact that our clothes were wearing out and not clean. The technology isn't there yet. I now use my mother's 10 year old traditional top loader and my clothes are once again clean.
I bought a GE high efficiency top loader and have been very satisfied with it. It's reliable and I find it actually gets my clothes cleaner than my old washer. And I use the lesser amounts of water setting and cold water where appropriate. You do need to use the low suds detergent (usually marked as for high efficiency washers).

The high efficiency top loaders use a bit more water than the front loaders.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Appliances like so many other things today are hit and miss.

I have some friends who bought top of the line GE, have had nothing but problems and hate them. I have other friends who bought GE and love them.

We bought mid-line MayTag and have had good luck with them.

Bill Huber
06-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Both dryer and washer are lower level Maytags which are made my Whirlpool. I went with the cheaper units after see what happened to some of my friends.
One friend bought a high dollar LG, no long after the warranty ran out they ad to replace the control unit, $450. This was more then I paid for my washer.
Another friend got a high dollar Maytag and again the control unit had to be replaced after about 2 years, $600.
Our cloths are just as clean as theirs and I have not had a problem with them in over 5 years.

So I guess what I am saying it those high dollar units just don't do it any better then the lower cost and cost a lot
lot less

Ken Garlock
06-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Hello Ben.

When we were building our home, we bought the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer and they have worked for nearly 10 years without a problem. Of course, they might collapse into a pile of rubble this afternoon, but I don't think so.

Both are front load units, and we had our cabinet man make a 5" high riser for them to set on. They earn their pay during the summer. Yes, I would buy them again.

Our daughter has the Samsung washer and dryer, and thinks they are great.

Steve Griffin
06-19-2011, 1:48 PM
Big front loader fan. Less water used, clothes come out dryer, easier to unload and more options for delicate clothes.

As mentioned, they need a riser. The optional drawers that go under provide great storage and are well worth it.

-STeve

Phil Thien
06-19-2011, 2:05 PM
When we purchased our house (16 years ago) we were told by a friend that owns several coin-operated laundromats to get Maytag. That, they were very rugged, and if they ever do break down, very simple to fix.

So we got Maytag stuff (top load washer, front-load dryer because that was all that was available back then).

They have been very reliable. I just had to do my first service or any kind, which was replacing the blower wheel on the dryer. The plastic hub had rounded out. I had a guy come do it, parts plus labor was $100.

Bryan Morgan
06-19-2011, 3:36 PM
We got one of those LG front load washers. Had it for a few years now. We never seem to have money when our appliances break so I found I can get them cheaper at outlet centers (if you don't mind scratches or small dents... stuff still works perfect) or for even better deals get them at Home Depot, the stuff they have sitting there. We got this washer, which sells for $1000, for $400 brand new. Someone ordered the set and only wanted the dryer and left the washer with the store. They wanted it out of there and gave it to me at a big discount. I got a few appliances and other things like that. I got a mattress the same way... someone ordered it and it had been sitting around awhile and the mattress store wanted it out of there. Another $1000 thing for, I think $350. The owner said he'd be happy just to get his money back for it.

David Weaver
06-19-2011, 3:47 PM
More than 5 years on a high efficiency fisher paykel top loader. I have seen that they're supposed to be problematic, but I know of three sets that are 4-6 years old, and none have been out of service. My wife is a clean nut, and she does 8+ loads per week for three people, so energy and water efficiency is important (thus the HE top loader bought before most top loaders were high efficiency).

It' isn't the front loader that makes the clothes dry, it's the spin speed. The HE top loaders have the same spin speed as the front loaders and the clothes come out just as dry.

I'm with mike, it's nice to not have to put it on a pedestal, and the price was good ($950 for the washer / dryer pair) compared to front loaders which at the time 5 years ago were *very* problematic.

I'd assume if all of the washers now don't spin at the high 1000+ rpm speed that it and the front loaders use, that it won't be long before they do. It cuts the dryer time in half or less, even with the dryer on low.

Greg Portland
06-20-2011, 11:57 AM
My current washer and dryer is getting sold with the house (I'm not really fond of them anyway) and I'm moving into a rental where I'll need to buy a set.

I don't have much cash lying around, but I'm willing to spend money where it's appropriate. I'd much rather buy a good tool once than crap three times. I know everyone here understands that, so that's why I'm asking for your advice.

I've heard rumblings of this maker is owned by that maker and this brand is manufactured in China and so on, but I don't really know what to believe. I just want a freakin-solid piece of equipment that will last forever and I won't have to think about it again outside of regular maintenance.

Any suggestions?I recently did a ton of research on washer/dryers and came to the conclusion that they ALL are known to have problems (some more than others). Even within brands there are some good units and some duds. My suggestion to you is to shop from a reputable dealer and get the extended warranty. Sears does a good job with warranty service, Best Buy is horrible with warranty service, & I'm not sure about HD or Lowes. The brands with the least problems seem to be Samsung, Kenmore (Sears) and LG. My old Maytag was a steel body with a mechanical switch, motor, and steel drum (no plastic)... that design could last for 30+ years but they don't make them like that anymore (in fact Maytag has a LOT of problems).

Many problems with front load washers are because people close the door which results in a mold/mildew problem so take that into account when reading reviews. Finally, note that front loading washer doors are typically NOT reversible OR available with the opposite hinge position. This means that you need to make sure that it's going to work in your space. Also, you might need to buy extension hoses to reach your legacy plumbing.

Darius Ferlas
06-20-2011, 2:30 PM
Back in the old country we had a front loader and it worked very well, so when I first came to the States I was appalled with the top loaders, and front loaders where nowhere to be found then. It wasn't easy but I survived. Recently, we had to buy a new washer last February. I wanted a front loader. Were were discouraged by a lot of people - owners, sales persons etc. We ended up buying a well reviewed direct drive LG top loader (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/THDCoordinatingItemsView?productId=202192411&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=appliance_event-_-laundry-_-202192411&locStoreNum=159) . I spent about a week looking for reviews and watching the machine in action on youtube. Yes, I don't have any TV at home and yet I spent a few hours watching a washing machine wash some strangers' clothes.

The capacity is huge so we do only 3 loads a week (family of 3). We bought it at Sears with a 5 year "bumper to bumper" for additional $200. So far not a glitch.

W skipped the matching dryer and we're still using a 15 year old GE.

Don Buck
06-20-2011, 2:59 PM
I always found the best brands are the appliances that have been heavily discounted due to scratch & dents. We picked up a set of Fisher Paykel washer and dryer at two different Lowes and saved several hundred dollars due to some dents incurred in shipping. Fortunately my wife doesn't mind the dents and has been happy with the Fisher Paykel units for the past 5 years. We have a pair of 17 year old Maytags that are the real deal in the event of our current units ever failing. These Maytags were build by the real Maytag, not Whirlpool as the more recent units.

David Weaver
06-20-2011, 3:30 PM
The capacity is huge so we do only 3 loads a week (family of 3). We bought it at Sears with a 5 year "bumper to bumper" for additional $200. So far not a glitch.

I'd have your wife talk to my wife if I thought it would do any good. Our 8 loads are mostly due to my wife's arcane dividing strategy and partial loads ("you can't wash that with that"). Capacity is similar to the one you linked (4.2 vs. 4.5).

Fortunately, the HE top loaders (maybe all washers now?) have a setting for automatic load sensing so that they automatically run a reduced fill when the washer is not full.

I like that they default to a cold rinse, too.

When nobody is home and I sneak a load in, i fill it to the top.

Darius Ferlas
06-20-2011, 4:04 PM
I'd have your wife talk to my wife if I thought it would do any good. Our 8 loads are mostly due to my wife's arcane dividing strategy and partial loads. Capacity is similar to the one you linked (4.2 vs. 4.5).
Not sure what happened there with the link. I guess I went by the looks. My washer is 5.2 cu feet and she fills the drum.
My wife is similarly paranoid about washing but she does have a strategy that seems to be working. If I hop in in the car and drive just a mile to get cigs and then go to take a shower then my, just washed an hour before, pants are nowhere to be found after I come out of the shower. Contaminated. Need another pair.

One of my first woodworking projects was a laundry hamper (cherry) with 3 compartments- darks, whites, colors. I was trained to tell the difference but I am still not allowed to use the washer without supervision. I'm allowed to watch them clothes spin though. Pure fun.

The number of loads will be larger if she goes for bigger, out of schedule stuff though like blankets etc.

Jim Becker
06-20-2011, 9:49 PM
A little over three years ago I bought the top-of-the-line LG SteamWasher and LG SteamDryer for our new laundry room when the addition went on. We have been very pleased. At that time they were top-rated by CR. We did have one issue with the washer, but it turned out to be a sensor issue with the auto-shutoff valve system on the wall not understanding the washer cycle. A small part fixed that.

Ben Beckham
06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
In Response To Most:

Seems like Consumer Reports is the best source for long-term reliability reviews. I wonder if there's a difference between consumer-grade and commercial grade in Maytag? I've found a lot of chatter re: Maytag used to be good but now they're crap; Maytag is the best with all steel and whatnot...

Scratch & Dent is definitely the way to go. I'm all about that. Fortunately(?) I don't have a better half yet looking over my shoulder saying that spray-painting the dented corner is unsatisfactory.

I'm not really worried about risers or not on the front loader, or front loaders being any better than top loaders. I've owned both, and perhaps surprisingly, I'm ambivalent so far. I have front loaders now and I actually took the pedestals and moved them under my workbench as drawers to store small cutoffs and finishing supplies. I'm only 30, and hopefully there will be a clean-freak wife in my future that will care about such things, but I'm concerned more with function than form right now (referenced future wife excluded).

Gotta keep the lid or door open on the washer while not in use! And I try to! Hard when the laundry room (garage) doubles as the shop space (garage). All the shavings getting everywhere. "Hey, what's that on your tie?" "It's an air-freshener, man, get with the program! Where's yours?"

Ron Jones near Indy
06-20-2011, 11:36 PM
LOML purchased a Whirlpool Duet pair about 4 years ago from Lowes. We both use them; we both like them and would purchase them again. No problems at all. Quiet and efficient.

Curt Harms
06-21-2011, 9:00 AM
I recently did a ton of research on washer/dryers and came to the conclusion that they ALL are known to have problems (some more than others). Even within brands there are some good units and some duds. My suggestion to you is to shop from a reputable dealer and get the extended warranty. Sears does a good job with warranty service, Best Buy is horrible with warranty service, & I'm not sure about HD or Lowes. The brands with the least problems seem to be Samsung, Kenmore (Sears) and LG. My old Maytag was a steel body with a mechanical switch, motor, and steel drum (no plastic)... that design could last for 30+ years but they don't make them like that anymore (in fact Maytag has a LOT of problems).

Many problems with front load washers are because people close the door which results in a mold/mildew problem so take that into account when reading reviews. Finally, note that front loading washer doors are typically NOT reversible OR available with the opposite hinge position. This means that you need to make sure that it's going to work in your space. Also, you might need to buy extension hoses to reach your legacy plumbing.

SWMBO has had front loaders since I've known her, 20+ years. She likes them for the stacking feature-takes up less room-and have always used less water. The previous set was White-Westinghouse which was working when removed after about 15 years. Current set is Kenmore Elite. The washer door will not swap sides, the dryer door will. She is careful about leaving the washer door open for 24 hours after use. In addition to reducing mold and mildew, it should reduce corrosion of metal and electrical components. The new washer has variable speed spin which makes a BIG difference in how dry clothes are when going into the dryer.

David Weaver
06-21-2011, 9:16 AM
Not sure what happened there with the link. I guess I went by the looks. My washer is 5.2 cu feet and she fills the drum.

5.2 is a hoss!! That's big enough to ferment a few kegs of beer in.

I feel your pain on the pants thing. The only way to keep them out of the laundry is to hang them up fast and put them in the back so they can't be seen as out of order or "used".

David Weaver
06-21-2011, 9:23 AM
In Response To Most:

Seems like Consumer Reports is the best source for long-term reliability reviews. I wonder if there's a difference between consumer-grade and commercial grade in Maytag? I've found a lot of chatter re: Maytag used to be good but now they're crap; Maytag is the best with all steel and whatnot...

Could be, if there is, I would bet it's because the commercial washer has the old style drive system in it. Five+ years ago when I got mine, I mentioned maytag and someone basically told me that the old drive system (double belt?) that was in all of the washers that lasted 30 years was mostly gone from their line. An appliance repair guy recommended the F&P, and so did a few other people, and when I went to our local independent appliance dealer, I asked the owner which washer he had. He said he had the bottom of the rung F&P top loader that was there (there was another one and a much more expensive dryer that had lots of digital stuff on it - things that I haven't had good long term luck with).

Anyway, the inlaws needed to replace a 25 year-old set of maytag stuff and I relayed the advice I got, but they didn't like the F&P washer because the lid was plastic (sort of a forest for the trees issue to me, I don't care what the lid is made of if the washer won't last a long time). Instead, they bought new maytag (neptune?) stuff for twice the price we paid, at their peril, and the washer crapped out in less than three years and needed to be replaced.

CR does have a lot of good tips about price vs. reliability (i.e., spending more doesn't get you a more reliable washer, often the opposite is true), etc, or at least they did when I looked.