PDA

View Full Version : Inlays - I'm getting better I think

Steven Wallace
06-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Or at least quicker. :) I have a customer that makes wooden bracelets and I started off just adding his monogram to the end of the bracelets as sort of a trade mark of his. Then he saw the inlay work I did for the guitar headstock and the natural set of questions came. Can you inlay... you name it? Well he decided to have me do some charm inlays in his bracelets. He supplies the charms and bracelets, I do the rest. I cut off the loop on the end of the charm and then perform the magic as he calls it. See enclosed pics and don't be afraid to critique, it is the only way I get better.198454198455198456

Steven Wallace
06-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Resending better pics. I hope.198457198458198459

Mike Null
06-19-2011, 6:13 AM
Steve

I like your work. What adhesive did you use? Did you scan the charms to get the raster drawing?

Dee Gallo
06-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Really nice, Steve! I would think getting the curved "hole" to match the charm is tricky - did you have to bend the charms? I have to say, though, as a bracelet wearer - those look HEAVY! You could probably deflect bullets with those, Wonderwoman style. But your work is excellent, you are definitely getting better!

cheers, dee

Steven Wallace
06-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the comments. Dee I agree with you about the size of the bracelet but when a customer gives you an item, you don't overly criticize their work. I did make him a set of templates so that the shape is uniform now. I can say that there is hardly any chance of burning through them. On to the technical questions. I used a sharpie to blacken the backside of the charm. Scanned the charm and then made it a mirror image. I colored in where needed on the image. Then I outlined the shape using Dee's technique for outlining a shape with a 0.5 pt line. Then engraved and the charms are a press fit. I use the same adhesive that they used at the luthier school, a super glue gel. Haven't had one fall out on me yet. Some of the charms I have been able to bend a little curvature into it so it conforms to the bracelet shape. On the heavier charms that can not be bent, I engrave down so that the outside edge of the pocket is level with the same edge of the charm. My customer likes the idea that as you rub your fingers across the top of the bracelet that you can feel the relief on the charm. I used a piece of scrap material to determine how many passes necessary to get the right depth.

Dee, you and I may not care for the design of the bracelet but my customer is in negotiation with 2 major department store chains. They seem to like them and think he has a great custom item. So all I can do is say that I wish him the greatest of success and hope he doesn't ship the engraving offshore... Nice to make items created locally.

Dee Gallo
06-19-2011, 2:33 PM
So would you get the contract if production goes forward? Would you want the contract and maybe be swamped? Might be a nice steady gig after you make all the templates.

Hey that might not be MY style, but there are a lot of people out there who love the big clunky look and feel, so good for him! I think you did an excellent job making a flat object look great on a curved surface.

cheers, dee

Belinda Barfield
06-20-2011, 8:31 AM
I like the inlays. I agree with Dee - the pieces are a little chunky for me - but as you said, Steve, you're not the designer. Thanks for the idea also. I won't be a competitor for your customer but I will be changing the design a bit and using this idea for gifts for friends!

Steven Wallace
06-25-2011, 1:19 PM
Belinda, sorry for taking so long to respond. The bracelets are unusually light for their bulkiness. That is a comment from my wife, I am not used to wearing decorative bracelets. I don't even like ID bracelets and I had one of those as a kid. Thanks for the comment and if I can assist in how I did the inlays, don't hesitate to ask. I have used more than enough of the friendly advice given on here.