PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Scam

Dennis McDonaugh
02-11-2005, 3:58 PM
Received this e-mail. Think its legit? :D

D*rae‬ Yah*!oo‬ Me*bm‬er,

T*sih‬ ema*li‬ was s*ne‬t by the Yah*oo‬! se*revr‬ to ver*fi‬y y*ruo‬ b*kna‬ ca*dr‬ info*amr‬tion. Y*uo‬r bank ask Ya*ooh‬! to*os od ‬
b*ce‬ause some of th*ie‬r m*ebme‬rs no lo*egn‬r ha*ev‬ a*ssecc‬ to ema*li‬ addresses on Yah*oo‬! and t*eh‬y n*dee‬ to v*ire‬fy you.
You m*su‬t co*pm‬lete t*sih‬ pr*seco‬s by cli*nikc‬g on the li*kn‬ b*le‬ow:

and ent*nire‬g y*ruo‬ b*na‬k ATM-*tibeD‬ Card nu*rebm‬ and P*NI‬ th*ta‬ you use on A*MT‬.

Randy Meijer
02-11-2005, 4:09 PM
I got the same message and immediately sent a copy to Yahoo!!

Randy Moore
02-11-2005, 6:36 PM
I don't trust anyone that wants any kind of numbers concerning my bank account unless I am dealing directly with my bank.

To me this is a scam.

Randy

Jerry Olexa
02-11-2005, 7:00 PM
IT IS A SCAM!! Don't give those #'s to anyone...

Tony Falotico
02-11-2005, 7:04 PM
I received similar from e-bay (fake) asking me to 'confirm my e-bay account' by clicking the link. I clicked the link and got what looked like the official e-bay sign in page, so I signed in. It then proceeded to ask for account numbers, social security, credit card numbers. I immediately backed out and closed the browser. Couple days later I get another e-mail from ebay (this one real) advising me that they had reason to believe my e-bay account had been tampered with and asked me to sign in and change my password. You can't tell what's real or not, so I ignored it. My account has since been locked out, I have no idea what happened, except that from the first (fake) e-mail when I signed in they got my password and proceeded to use it.

This was NOT E-bays doing, they have been very cordial with me, they know I was scammed, but unfortunately I will not go back. Almost impossible to tell what's real and what is fake!

JayStPeter
02-11-2005, 7:30 PM
This was NOT E-bays doing, they have been very cordial with me, they know I was scammed, but unfortunately I will not go back. Almost impossible to tell what's real and what is fake!

Not it's not. It's pretty easy. Never use a link from an e-mail. Always go in through the front door. If you don't see something asking for the info in the email, fake. You could contact CS just to be sure.

Jay

Scott Parks
02-11-2005, 11:51 PM
One of the easiest ways to spot a scam is by the greeting in the email. A legitimate email from EBay, Paypal, Yahoo! or most banks will start the letter with YOUR full name. If it is generic such as "dear Ebay user" or Dear Washington mutual banker" BEWARE! These are generally scams! I just got one the other day from Washington Mutual (fake) saying that my account had suspicious activity. Then click here to go to their website to change my "personal account information". This one was definately a fake ( I don't even bank there), but I could see how an unsuspecting user could bite on that.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-12-2005, 8:59 AM
I have gotten a few of those in the past too... the funny thing is, Yahoo has no need for that information! :)

Ted Shrader
02-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Tony -

You can always right click then View Source. You will be able to see that link they want you to click on is not the same as the displayed link. You can read the actual link in the text. It is easy to steal a web page, graphics and all, make minor changes and put it out as your own.

But for the most part, those are scams. If you have a doubt, enter through the main page to the site.

Ted

Tony Falotico
02-12-2005, 6:59 PM
Scott: It was addressed to my e-bay user ID and had my e-mail address. It looked REAL e-bay, and at that time I had no reason to doubt it was real. As soon as I entered my e-bay password and saw the next screen, I knew it was not REAL. But too late, they obviously got my password.

Ted: Thanks for the info, I'll be more careful next time.

Funny thing is I have no idea what they (whoever they are) did, my e-bay account was locked by e-bay. E-bay offered to re-instate me, but I declined. Someday I'll re-enter under a whole new identity.

David Klink
02-20-2005, 5:26 AM
I got one from Key Bank asking me about my account, and I don't even have one. They were out looking for personal info as usual, and it was so obvious it wasn't even funny. The web address had Keybanks instead of keybank, for one.

Another way to check for some of the eBay ones is, looking at the copyright on the page. A lot of the scammers used to use an eBay template, but the copyright would read 1999-2002 instead of 2004. I've gotten enough of them, that's for certain.