PDA

View Full Version : Learning to make gift boxes :)

Mike Berndt
06-18-2011, 9:08 PM
Hi SMC Engraving forum members,
I have the task of making gift boxes for retiring teachers at my school. I am using the boxmaker software online and importing into CorelDraw X5. It seem like a go but I want a tight fit and realize I have to change the setting to obtain a tight squeeze together fit. Any suggestions would be great. I am including a photo of the rough prototype.

Thanks
Mike B.198435

Ben Cartwright
06-18-2011, 9:23 PM
I use box maker http://rahulbotics.com/personal-projects/boxmaker/?boxmaker/, you input your tab size box size material thickness and kerf width, it makes them perfect for me. I got the link from the guys at Universal Laser.

Mike Berndt
06-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi Ben,
I am cutting 3mm stock what settings are you using to get that tight fit? I am making small boxes for pens.

Thanks
Mike B.

Bruce Dorworth
06-19-2011, 2:53 AM
Looks good Mike, I am a newbie here, but I think I got this one. You need to enter the size of your box WxLxD. then you need to enter how thick you material is( I used .125). The key to a tight fit is the cut width. I used .01 and it went together, but was a little snug. You could probably use .095 or something like that. This number makes up for the kerf of the laser.

Hope that helps,
Bruce

Mike Berndt
06-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I will give that a shot and see how it fits together with that setting.

Mike Berndt
06-19-2011, 6:00 PM
Bruce,
I tried cut width at .125 and it snaps together but is too hard to snap so I will try .12 or .11 to see if that makes it easier to snap them so they stay together. Thanks for your input.

MB

Tristan Ranatza
06-19-2011, 7:04 PM
On a side note... has anyone done this with acrylic? How does it come out? What is the smallest joint recommended?

Mike Berndt
06-19-2011, 7:06 PM
Acrylic is my next step to try one of these boxes and tweak the settings :)

Tristan Ranatza
06-19-2011, 7:26 PM
with a good drill press you could make one of the long sides a hinge... or one of the ends. All you would need is a brass pin and a drop of super glue. This looks interesting, keep us posted!

David Takes
06-19-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm assuming the gift box is part of the gift, but if it doesn't need to be as significant a part of the gift, why not engrave a white corrugated box. Below is a picture of one we do for wine bottles. In our case it is a package enhancement we charge for. We normally give the box blank.http://www.engraverssoure.com/forum/projects/lasered_box.jpghttp://www.engraverssource.com/forum/projects/lasered_box.jpg

Mike Berndt
06-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes the box is part of the gift which is a custom made pen which will be inside. The box has their names and date of retirement on it.

Mike Berndt
06-24-2011, 6:16 PM
Hi SMC Laserist,
The Gift boxes where well received. I left one end being able to be opened and the retirees loved the pens and the gift boxes. It was the hit of the evening :)!!!! Thanks to all your help!!!!