PDA

View Full Version : New ULS Driver

Scott Shepherd
06-18-2011, 7:50 PM
I tend not to be to anxious to upgrade drivers when I have one that's working for me, but I hit an issue the other day and thought I'd check for new drivers. I found I have missed a boat load of driver updates and when I clicked on the "notes" button for the new stable version (not the beta), it showed that they had added another resolution to the control panel. So now it's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. There's some other minor things in there that should have for certain conditions (speeding up engraving with and without margins).

It also now have the ability to run the job estimate time with the machine off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder to the ULS users, that it's out there (might have been for months for all I know), and it's got some newer, helpful stuff in it.

The current stable version is 5.32.54.15.

Dan Hintz
06-18-2011, 7:56 PM
I like both options... do we know what 7 means, or did they make 7 the new 6 and reshuffle the resolutions inbetween?

David Takes
06-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Dan, Do you get e-mail notification of the driver upgrades or check in on the ULS website occasionally? You, Scott and I have the same PLS 4.60 machine and it appears that Scott and I were both uninformed of these upgrades, as I am sure there were others. I'm just wanting to find the best way to get in the loop on the enhancements to the drivers when they come about.

Scott Shepherd
06-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I did not get any communications from anyone, I just went into Diagnostic Tab and clicked the "Update" button on the driver. I noticed it was way newer than mine, let it install it, and then clicked on the "notes" button in the control panel and it showed the new features.

They must have JUST released it because I updated a couple of days ago and noticed the beta version was way up there in numbers. Then last night, I looked and the one that was beta, is now released and there was no new beta at the time.

Gary Hair
06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I like both options... do we know what 7 means, or did they make 7 the new 6 and reshuffle the resolutions inbetween?

these go to 11, it's one louder...

Dan Hintz
06-19-2011, 4:33 PM
David,

I don't believe I have ever received comms about driver updates... it's ULS's (unfortunate) way of doing things.

Scott Shepherd
06-28-2011, 4:37 PM
I'm really digging the new driver. The "move" feature now has the ability to set zero at the pointer. With any object in the driver, you click it to reposition and you can click on any corner, the middle, etc. of that box around the object. That's the reference point it's going to use. Then there is a new button that tells it to move it to the pointer. Click that, and it'll move that reference point to the place on the object.

VERY well done on that one ULS. That's very nice.

Dan Hintz
06-28-2011, 8:41 PM
Sounds like they're finally recognizing that the driver should be more than just a basic view of what's being engraved...

Zvi Grinberg
06-29-2011, 2:53 AM
... The "move" feature now has the ability to set zero at the pointer. With any object in the driver, you click it to reposition and you can click on any corner, the middle, etc. of that box around the object. That's the reference point it's going to use. Then there is a new button that tells it to move it to the pointer. Click that, and it'll move that reference point to the place on the object.

I believe that this functionality is there for several ages (of the UCP driver).
Is there any additional behavior to it which I overlooked?

Thanks

Zvi

Scott Shepherd
06-29-2011, 8:14 AM
Zvi, it might very well have been, but I've not "found it" until this release. Yes, you could always move it around with dimensions, but now you can manually put the carriage where you want it, let's say take a piece of material you have cut many jobs out off that looks like swiss cheese. You can drive the red dot pointer to the open spot on the material, then in the relocate area, click the top left of the item (the box around it), and then click "Set to pointer" and it'll make that the new spot for it to engrave.

I've always known you could manually enter the numbers, but this is the first time I've seen the ability to set it to the pointer. Maybe it's been there for a while, if so, I've missed a useful tool!

Dan Hintz
06-29-2011, 8:32 AM
One thing I wish they would add (but cannot without modifying the stepper driver board... but it is possible) is the ability to move the carriage by hand to point to a specific spot.

Paul Brinkmeyer
07-02-2011, 11:38 AM
For the ULS UPC upgrade to 5.32.54.15.

How is it working?
I upgraded and the PPI settings has been set to "0" on all my custom materials
And the notes area has been messed up.

Anyone have a way to upgrade and have it work?
I am still doing it the old way....first I uninstall, reboot, install new, reboot.
Maybe I need to do it a different way.

Going back to 5.28.52.2 seems to have worked again
This has happened in the past with some of the later versions (5.31.54.5 did not work either) and ULS does not seem to have any answers.

Scott Shepherd
07-02-2011, 1:28 PM
Paul, it came through fine for me. I never uninstall them. They have uninstallers built into the installation program, so it'll handle it all itself. I just download it, tell it to install itself and it handles it all.

So far, I'm loving this driver. I think I use that new "set to pointer" feature every single day now.

Paul Brinkmeyer
07-02-2011, 2:05 PM
I have now tried to installed it that way and turned off the virus software....no luck.

Universal could not get the last regular version to work either, and just told me to wait for this versioin.
I know a lot of others use custom materials, that is why I thought I would ask, hoping someone had already figured out how to fix this.
Guess I will just have to wait.