PDA

View Full Version : ID a Drill Press

Mac McQuinn
06-18-2011, 7:31 PM
Trying to ID a old Drill Press I saw today at my niece's Graduation open house. It was tucked away in the darkest, unaccessible corner of the garage, a floor model drill press, Had the "Aero" Streamline look top cover with 3-4 ribs running vertical, perhaps 1930-40's. I've seen older Craftsman models something like this although this has an emblem on front of cover w/ 3 letters on it. Can't remember the letter as my wife doesn't want me snooping around during family matters!:confused: Machine appeared complete with table and chuck. Plenty of patina and It looked like it needed someone to get it back into running condition. ;)

My Brother in law is not the industrious type and I'm really not sure what he's doing with it as he doesn't do any wood or metal work I'm aware of.

Any clues or ideas?

Mac

Mike Wilkins
06-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Visit the vintagemachinery website and go to the drill press catagory and look around. You may find something like it there that will assist in the identification. Then talk to the brother and see if he is willing to part with it. Some of these older machines are really built well with lots of cast iron and durable parts, and it would be a shame to let it sit and go to waste in the corner of a garage.

david brum
06-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Here's a photo of an Atlas drill press. Does this look familiar?

Myk Rian
06-19-2011, 8:33 AM
A Delta? This model is commonly called a DP220 because of the number cast into the head.
Very well made, and fully restorable.

glenn bradley
06-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm also running Grandpa's old DP220. Looks just like Myk's but is still Delta/Milwaukee gray. Still runs smoother than many new machines, including mine ;-)

Mac McQuinn
06-19-2011, 3:21 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll do some snooping around. I can probably get it for a song as the BIL isn't into old machinery or doing work with his hands.
Thanks,
Mac

Visit the vintagemachinery website and go to the drill press catagory and look around. You may find something like it there that will assist in the identification. Then talk to the brother and see if he is willing to part with it. Some of these older machines are really built well with lots of cast iron and durable parts, and it would be a shame to let it sit and go to waste in the corner of a garage.

Mac McQuinn
06-19-2011, 3:25 PM
Not really, Looking from the top, the cover is elongated and kidney shaped to cover both pulleys. The cover is lower in profile w/ raised ribs cast in at the front just above the emblem

Thanks,
Mac

Here's a photo of an Atlas drill press. Does this look familiar?

Myk Rian
06-19-2011, 5:52 PM
Gleaned from www.vintagemachinery.org

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/12156-A.jpg

Mac McQuinn
06-19-2011, 6:29 PM
Then (3) lettered emblem is what throwing me....I check the vintage machinery stuff and several looked very close.

Mac

Myk Rian
06-19-2011, 7:07 PM
We need those 3 letters, or a pic.

Mac McQuinn
06-19-2011, 8:29 PM
Yes so do I, although It's a 150 mile drive to check it out which I can't make till next weekend.

Mac