PDA

View Full Version : biggest ones yet...

Russell Eaton
06-18-2011, 7:30 PM
I have been wanting to turn some larger bowls. I got some Ambrosia Maple blanks big enough for 11 3/4" bowls, and some Ash big enough for 13 3/4" bowls. I had a blast turning them. I have 3 more of the Ash blanks and think that I will turn 1 tomorrow for some ME time on dads day. The Ambrosia Maple is pretty thin but I like the Ash better. It is more functional with the extra heft. I also included some pictures of the side profile and wanted some feedback on the shapes. Thanks Russell

Baxter Smith
06-18-2011, 7:59 PM
Pretty wood and bowls Russel. As far as feedback on shape, the ambrosia bowl appears in the profile shot to have a flat spot on the outside rather than a smooth curve. Sometimes it is easier to feel than see on whether you have a smooth curve. You might also place a straightedge along the outer curve and pivot it. If it touches in more than just one spot as you pivot it, you may have a flatspot.

Jim Burr
06-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I think those are fine bowls Russell. Shape appears very functional, it could be the lighting, but about an inch from the top, it looks like a depression or a widening of the rim.

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Nice bowls Russell! Forms look good - woods look great! I can see the 'flat spot' in the profile of the Ash bowl but believe it to be an illusion caused by lighting and the background. Looking forward to seeing more of your big bowl series!

Billy Tallant
06-19-2011, 2:15 AM
Nice looking bowls Russell!

Russell Eaton
06-19-2011, 8:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I checked the "flat spot" it is in the lighting as stated by some others. Do you think the foot is the right size for that large of a bowl. I have a difficult time judging that. Thanks again for the feedback. Russell

David Gilbert
06-19-2011, 8:16 AM
I like the shapes. I agree that ash is nice to work with.

The maple bowl appears to have a more distinct foot than the ash (or perhaps the photo doesn't show it.)

Cheers,
David