PDA

View Full Version : Big Leaf Maple & Ebony 6 months of Turning

Tim Thiebaut
06-18-2011, 7:10 PM
I made this for my 6 month aniversary of turning which is today! I appreciate all of the help and guidance you have all given me, looking forward to the next 6 months!

Big Leaf Maple & Ebony, approx "10 1/2 by "3 1/4, the main body and base have many coats of WOP, and then the entire thing including the ebony was Beall buffed with Ren wax. These photos really dont do the big leaf justice, it has a translucent quality to it that is beautiful in person. I think this is my favorite piece so far that I have done.

Roger Chandler
06-18-2011, 7:14 PM
VERY ELEGANT!!! That one has some artistic flair, and I think you should be very proud of this and some recent turnings you have posted. Shows an aptitude for this turning craft.

The hits just keep on coming ............this one is just real nice!

David Warkentin
06-18-2011, 7:33 PM
6 months. Hmmmm. Must be turning alot more than me. Or are you related to that lawyer with the CLEAN shop?

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2011, 7:43 PM
Tim - you should be proud of this one! Beautiful wood and finish! Nice form, curves and wood combination! Quite the accomplishment with only 6 months of experience! Looking forward to seeing where you take your turnings next!

Keep up the good work! Great job on the finish!

Scott Hackler
06-18-2011, 7:46 PM
Nice work Tim. It's quite an accomplishment with only 6 months under your belt!

Baxter Smith
06-18-2011, 7:49 PM
Nice job Tim. Very pretty!

John Keeton
06-18-2011, 7:58 PM
Whoah!!! Hold on folks - we are in for a ride! Nice work, Tim - very nice work!

David DeCristoforo
06-18-2011, 8:35 PM
This is a great effort, Tim. Very elegant and well proportioned. The finish is beautiful! I'm going to play "Jamie Donaldson" here and suggest that you zoom out a bit when you take your pics and also try to correct the "perpendicularity" of the images. These make it look like the piece is leaning and that distracts the eye. I can see why this is your favorite but I also really like the claro box you posted.

Michael James
06-18-2011, 8:37 PM
That's a beautiful piece TIm. Congratulations! GO ROCKY MOUNTAIN TURNERS!!! :D
mj

Harvey Ghesser
06-18-2011, 8:58 PM
O.K.....now I'm really jealous! I've been at this for over two years and I'm nowhere near. Just Beautiful, Tim!! Congratulations!

Toney Robertson
06-18-2011, 9:05 PM
Wonderful piece especially considering that you are only 6 months into your turning journey.

Great job.

My only nitpick critique would be the flattening of the the curve in the upper third of the pedestal.

Jamie Donaldson
06-18-2011, 9:13 PM
David is attempting to explain the problem with using a wide angle focal length up too close to the turning. The distortion showing the angle of convergence is obvious, and would be improved by moving the camera back away from the turning, then zooming in to crop the image without the barrel distortion. Got that???:D

David E Keller
06-18-2011, 9:18 PM
Nice looking piece, Tim. Great looking finish and nice details. Looking forward to seeing what the next 6 months brings.

Rich Aldrich
06-18-2011, 9:22 PM
Tim - really nice work.

Nate Davey
06-18-2011, 9:49 PM
Beautiful job on this Tim. The wood is spectacular and the form and finish are first class.

Jim Burr
06-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Excellent job on "over the top" Tim! Hard to beat that one!!

Rick Markham
06-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Congrats on 6 months Tim! My six months was in May :) We've just started our journey... it's gonna be a doozie!

I've had to hurdle the photo aspect too, since suddenly my turnings have gotten tall and thin. Back the tripod up, and each shot make sure you have the camera level with the turning, that will fix your "leaning tower of art" in your one photo. :eek:

I really like your form, it a great job Tim! Glad to be on this journey with ya!

Kathy Marshall
06-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Very nice piece Tim! The wood, form and finish all look great!

Tim Thiebaut
06-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks everyone!!! This was a lot of fun to make, challenging, but a lot of fun!

David W. - Nope not related to John, but he has a beautiful shop and a great stash of wood he can adopt me anytime he wants and I will sleep in the shop on the claro to guard it for him!!

DD & Jamie - Ok, now I think I get it. I will give that a shot and see what happens, thank you!

Toney - Yup...it really became apparent to me when I dry fitted everything together but I didnt have enough ebony to redo....but it bugged me to!! lol...a lesson learned for me and will hopefully improve on the next one.

As for my leaning pics...I am very happy with the photo tent kit I bought off of amazon as far as the tent and the lights go. But that cheap tripod is giving me fits, the things is constantly crooked, and the legs only have 2 settings, med and high. I have a really nice one I bought years ago that is infinently adjustable but have been unable to find it anywhere. At some point I will have to cough up for a decent one, I have been trying to correct for it by fiddling with the legs before taking the pics but it is so shaky its frustrating me.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions from everyone, I appreciate all of the input here!

Michelle Rich
06-19-2011, 6:54 AM
SUPER! 6mos? Amazingly faster learner. Can't wait to see what is coming in the future

Steve Campbell
06-19-2011, 7:14 AM
Another hit here. Congrats on you six months. It's official I am going to sell all my stuff. I have been turning a lot longer than that and I only wish I could do that. Again great piece.

Steve

Toney Robertson
06-19-2011, 7:37 AM
Tim,

You can correct all the alignment problems with software. Sure, it is better to have a good tripod and take plumb pictures but every once in a while I have to rotate my pictures once I get them in the computer. That is especially true when you are talking about a tall piece such as yours. I use photoshop but there is many other programs out there.

Toney

Curt Fuller
06-19-2011, 9:10 AM
That's beautiful work Tim. Can't wait to see what 6 more months produces.

David DeCristoforo
06-19-2011, 11:33 AM
"David is attempting to explain the problem...etc..."

I also think that the composition is off. There is too much "air" on either side of the object and not enough at the top and bottom. Thanx for injecting the proper terminology.

Jon Nuckles
06-19-2011, 2:35 PM
Really great, especially for 6 months. I have been turning a little longer, but you are certainly ahead of me on the learning curve. Way to go.