PDA

View Full Version : Scarf Joints

Bob Johnson2
02-11-2005, 3:32 PM
Can't find a way to delete this post, I found a jig I can use.

Wondering if anyone has any tricks for making scarf joints, these will have some stress put on them against both axis. I currently bevel the 2 pieces at about 8 to 1 rough cutting on the bandsaw then using a plane. It's been coming out ok but not great and the planning takes me a couple tries and never comes out perfect or even close to it. I've been using 3/4" x 3/4" cherry, epoxy and clamp till dry. This time it's only 3/8"x3/4".

Jim Becker
02-11-2005, 3:59 PM
Make a sled that rides in your saw's miter slot to hold that material steady at the required angle. It should reduce the planing/sanding necessary for a great match in the joint. Like any operation like this, if you can cut the opposite side "in reverse" you'll counter any deviation in the angles from complimentary.

Bob Johnson2
02-11-2005, 4:02 PM
Thanks Jim, that's pretty much what I found.

Steve Jenkins
02-11-2005, 4:04 PM
I'm fortunate to have a 20" disc sander so I clamp a board to the table at a very slight angle with one end touching the sanding disc. I then just push the piece I am tapering between the disc and the board/fence until I get to a feather end. Works great.

Scott Banbury
02-11-2005, 8:21 PM
Bob,

I'd worry that if I planed a scarf and used epoxy the epoxy wouldn't have enough "tooth" to grab or that it would be starved.