PDA

View Full Version : Help identifing these

Steve Clardy
04-17-2003, 8:51 PM
Anyone know what these are and the use they are for? Steve

John Schreiber
04-18-2003, 10:11 AM
I'm sure someone else will be able to identify them exactly, but I've seen things very similar for transmitting morse code via "telegraph" lines. The paddle on the top is pressed down short for a dot and longer for a dash. I suspect the plungers relate to changing or modifying the signal for varying line conditions.

Steve Clardy
04-18-2003, 10:20 AM
These are listed on Ebay under old woodworking tools. They don't know what they are either. They seem to think they are wood working related as someone in the family used to do inlay work. Could be morse code, haven't a clue here.

Steve Clardy
04-18-2003, 11:01 AM
pics again. These things are only 6" long, 2 3/4" high. They look like some kind of a minature vise, with the screw knobs being the a adjustor. The thingies on top look like a vise. The thumb lever is connected to the vise. Hmmmmm

Lee Schierer
04-18-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure what they are, but I'm pretty sure they had nothing to do with Morse Code!. No place to connect the wires.

Dale Sherman
04-20-2003, 7:31 AM
But it looks like the blades are held vertical instead of flat. Looks like two vises on one block, each with a screw adjuster and one side also has a quick-clamp release.

Maybe for setting kerfs?....

Dale

Steve Clardy
04-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Dale Sherman
But it looks like the blades are held vertical instead of flat. Looks like two vises on one block, each with a screw adjuster and one side also has a quick-clamp release.

Maybe for setting kerfs?....

Dale

Hmmm, may have something there Dale. Maybe for setting and sharpening small blades.
Steve

John Schreiber
04-20-2003, 3:13 PM
Looks like I was pretty far off guessing they were Morse code keys. I was thinking the vice jaws looked like wire terminals.

The clincher though is that I've looked at various web sites for collectors of old keys and there's nothing close. Also, keys were almost always designed so the operator's arm would lie flat and the key itself is usually a very light material such as Bakelite.

I'm sure curious as to what they are now.

Steve Clardy
04-20-2003, 8:07 PM
Maybe these things feel off a space ship:D

Steve Clardy
04-20-2003, 8:08 PM
:D

John Schreiber
04-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Ok, I've looked these things up on ebay and I still have no idea what they are. Additional clues are available from these items which appear to have come from the same source.

1st Item (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13874&item=3219245943)

2nd Item (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13874&item=3219252000)

Original item (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13874&item=3219247001)

If these links don't work, go to ebay and search for "TRAVELINTREASURES" as the seller

They all appear to be different versions of an item designed to hold something in place, perhaps for sharpening. I'm tempted to bid on one just as a conversation piece.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-23-2003, 10:04 PM
One of us should e-mail the high bidder and ask what he bought!! or maybe he doesn't know either....

Steve Clardy
04-24-2003, 10:21 AM
and he said they were instrument makers clamps. Makes sense now. Curiosity killed the cat. lol
Steve