PDA

View Full Version : True Confessions......

John Keeton
06-18-2011, 1:12 PM
Events of recent days have weighed heavily on my heart, and I have been overcome with a need to publicly confess my hypocrisy.:o:o Shame has come upon me, and I am deeply humbled by my actions. I publicly apologize for the misrepresentations - nay, pure lies, that I have put forth on this forum. I openly regret the shame it has brought to my family and friends!:o

Notwithstanding that I have openly led others to believe differently, the truth is - I do, in fact, let wood shavings accumulate on my shop floor. And, in order to be fully forthcoming on this confession, the bulk of this mess (my Lord, I can hardly bear to look at the image!!) has been lying on my shop floor since Thursday!:eek::eek::eek:

I want to personally and publicly apologize to David D., and others that may have been misled by my constant berating of them for their own indiscretions. I hope, in some way, to be able to make up to them the loss of time from turning that was absorbed in cleaning their shops, painting their lathes, cleaning the ways on their lathe, and the endless other damage I may have caused.

Please find it in your hearts to forgive me!:o My commitment to each of you is to have this mess cleaned up before the sun sets today!

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2011, 1:17 PM
Sheesshhh John when you get them up to your knee's then you can ask to be forgiven. I did clean mine out somewhat before we left. I took out 17 wheat shovels full of chips. Don't have a pics but ask the LOML it did happen. All is good John.

John Beaver
06-18-2011, 1:32 PM
John, the priest would throw you out of the confessional for that feeble attempt.
There are no shavings covering the tools on the wall, the back shelves are empty (where are the piles of scraps, and rough outs with shavings all over them?) and clearly your feet are touching the floor. Heck, you probably didn't even drag any shavings into the house from that small mound of dust.
Skip the Hail Mary's and get back to turning so you can show us a real mess.

Curt Fuller
06-18-2011, 1:32 PM
;)Just don't text, tweet, or put that picture on facebook. You never know where that might land you.

Roger Chandler
06-18-2011, 1:44 PM
Oh the shame........the Sheriff himself has taken to a life of crime...............what to do, what to do? Confession is good for the soul, and your repentance is duly noted..........I am not a priest............but...........I believe since forgiveness has been sought, I believe that absolution has been given................

Rest easy my son, er, uh, I mean sheriff. I made a mess of shavings this morning........only not at my shop, at the shop where we hold our mentoring meetings..........turned my first piece of the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree........a small limb, but the first of the momentos from the tree for the family members.................had to clean up the mess.......also broke a tool rest post!

Ron Bontz
06-18-2011, 1:46 PM
Hmm. I'll bet you're liking that curly maker, aren't you.

Dale Bright
06-18-2011, 1:54 PM
OH NO!!! It cant be true, shavings on John's floor.

Good looking shop John.

Dale

Harvey M. Taylor
06-18-2011, 2:02 PM
John, your confession will only be accepted if you swear on a large pile of claro walnut burl that you will not try to repaint that white thing the color of a Mustard Monster. Aside, a good looking shop. Max

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2011, 2:03 PM
John... I feel your pain.

David E Keller
06-18-2011, 2:09 PM
Keeton for Congress!

Michael Ginsberg
06-18-2011, 2:18 PM
John, You sound like a particular congressman as of recent with all of your apologies!!!!

Events of recent days have weighed heavily on my heart, and I have been overcome with a need to publicly confess my hypocrisy.:o:o Shame has come upon me, and I am deeply humbled by my actions. I publicly apologize for the misrepresentations - nay, pure lies, that I have put forth on this forum. I openly regret the shame it has brought to my family and friends!:o

Notwithstanding that I have openly led others to believe differently, the truth is - I do, in fact, let wood shavings accumulate on my shop floor. And, in order to be fully forthcoming on this confession, the bulk of this mess (my Lord, I can hardly bear to look at the image!!) has been lying on my shop floor since Thursday!:eek::eek::eek:

I want to personally and publicly apologize to David D., and others that may have been misled by my constant berating of them for their own indiscretions. I hope, in some way, to be able to make up to them the loss of time from turning that was absorbed in cleaning their shops, painting their lathes, cleaning the ways on their lathe, and the endless other damage I may have caused.

Please find it in your hearts to forgive me!:o My commitment to each of you is to have this mess cleaned up before the sun sets today!

David DeCristoforo
06-18-2011, 2:25 PM
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Of course you are forgiven.

You must understand that we realize an object like those you make, regardless of how meticulously crafted they may be, do not appear in a kind of woodworking immaculate conception. There must be dust and shavings somewhere in the process. And much of that essential byproduct, in spite of your best efforts, will inevitably accumulate on the lathe and the floor. Some will even end up in your pockets (don't forget to look there when you are cleaning up).

As to your "berating" me for my "indiscretions", that prompted me to reevaluate my own practices and realize how far I had fallen. That, in turn, led to the rehabilitation of not only my machine but all of my tools which now gleam under a coat of light oil. So I have, to a certain extent, reformed, you have voluntarily humbled yourself and we will both be better for it.

I also have to thank you for laying to rest the rapidly growing rumor that you are "magic" or "superhuman" or an alien being hiding on Earth in the disguise of a mild mannered woodturning lawyer.

charlie knighton
06-18-2011, 2:54 PM
John

nice looking shop, ya got to have some shavings somewhere,when ya see smoke coming from above be sure to clean off lights fixtures, my only question is how ya use that lazer thingie with the hf steady????

see ya soon :)

Bill Bolen
06-18-2011, 3:05 PM
:eek:Ghastly

Tim Thiebaut
06-18-2011, 3:06 PM
We have faith John, you will overcome and gt back on track in no time! Looks kind of good like that though....productive...

Michael James
06-18-2011, 3:55 PM
What mess??? :cool:

Jamie Donaldson
06-18-2011, 4:10 PM
Typical rantings of a devious attorney type, trying to lull us into a guilt trip because of our own inability to see the floor around our lathes!!;)

Billy Tallant
06-18-2011, 4:54 PM
John, I'm not so sure of the direction of your message. I did make the humble attempt yesterday to sweep up shavings & empty the overflowing garbage can in my shop. I'm not sure how many more bags of chips/dust there is to sweep up. Temperature in my shop was sitting over the 100 F mark, so I let that excuse prevent me from doing anymore cleaning. Now after seeing that fine example in the picture, I'm ashamed to walk back out to my shop & see what is waiting on me. I think any pictures I do take, must be a finished product only. No shop pictures after that fine example above. :)

David DeCristoforo
06-18-2011, 5:19 PM
"...get back to turning so you can show us a real mess..."

I suspect that he got these shavings from Mike Smith. Ordered a fifty pound sack of 'em just so's he could scatter 'em around and make it look like his shop was a "mess".

Alan Zenreich
06-18-2011, 6:05 PM
John,

Sorry, "confessions" just don't cut it around here.

How do we know the shavings weren't just cloned in Photoshop from a photo of a "real" shop?

We need notarized affidavits, in triplicate.

Only then can we begin interviewing character witnesses and scheduling the unscheduled inspections.

Scott Hackler
06-18-2011, 6:18 PM
OK, I guess I missed the picture showing the "mess". I do see the picture that looks similar to AFTER I clean up my mess, though! :)

*that does NOT look like box elder on the lathe! :)

David Warkentin
06-18-2011, 6:40 PM
If you think that is a mess, Mr. Keeton, than you obviously haven't seen my shop.

Brian Brown
06-18-2011, 6:51 PM
Mess??? What mess? You can claim a mess after you have a shaving avalanche, and it takes search and rescue 3 hours to dig you out! :eek::D That's how the wife describes my shop.

Keith Burns
06-18-2011, 7:06 PM
John, I too feel your pain but sometimes I just get carried away...................

Dick Wilson
06-18-2011, 9:15 PM
John, It is all in the perception. You call your shop dirty and I call it clean. I call my shop dirty and you have really scary nightmares. I will take a picture of my lathe area tomorrow and post. Young turners should be banned from viewing it.

Terry Quiram
06-18-2011, 9:27 PM
Heck thats not so bad. You can still see most of the floor. I tend to let mine go until the pile gets so deep I can't kick it out of the way.

Jim Underwood
06-18-2011, 9:34 PM
That's no mess. It'd only take a couple minutes to clean up.

Heck last time I "cleaned up" it was only because I couldn't find the tailstock center when I dropped it....

Jim Sebring
06-18-2011, 9:40 PM
Now, boys and girls, let's get a grip on reality here. This exposition from Mr. K seems like a practice run for when he commits an indescretion sometime in the future after he gets elected to Congress.

I'm sure he chose a dark colored wood to litter the floor with, lest we couldn't see anything in the picture.

I am also accused of having a 'clean' shop by erstwhile friends. I just point to a bucket of shavings I keep for such occasions and invite them to scatter them around so they can feel more at home ;-)

Karl Card
06-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I think I smell an attorney.....hmmmm I do, I do....lol

The only time shaving are a problem is that when you drop something and you cant find it for the shavings... See I had a box of 10 square blades for my easy rougher, well that to me is worth about 150.00 bucks and I couldnt find them. Well I ran my fingers thru the shavings, oh it felt so good, and still coulnt find those blades. Well finally when I cleaned my shavings right there on the bench was my box of easy rougher replacement blades...

Harry Robinette
06-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Disgusting, Just Disgusting John shame on you. But we all forgive you for your moment of weakness. Wait a minute 3 days thats not a moment .

Kathy Marshall
06-18-2011, 11:26 PM
John, John, John.... you call that an accumulation of shavings???
I'm sorry to do this, but you're forcing me to take some pics of my shop to show you what a true accumulation of shavings looks like. I'll post tomorrow so you will have plenty of time to prepare yourself and take whatever measures are necessary to handle the viewing of said pics!

Michelle Rich
06-19-2011, 7:08 AM
Just between you & me John, I have it on good authority that this indescretion does not rise to the level of needing absolution. Sorry, John, you will have to have dust & scraps up to at least your ankles, and chaos on the shelving. Try again!

Steve Campbell
06-19-2011, 7:40 AM
Well what do you know. John is learning more than just turning from all of us. Soon he will be turning on his knees like the rest of us. It had to happen sooner or later. Welcome to the world of clutter John............................

Steve

David Gilbert
06-19-2011, 8:10 AM
John,

I feel the same way the others do. This isn't a mess at all. It just shows that you are having some fun. I find that when the shavings are so deep that I am standing too high at the lathe then it's time to move them out from under the lathe. I leave them piled up in the corner and go back later to collect them (sometimes days or weeks later).

See you in St Paul!

Cheers,
David

John Keeton
06-19-2011, 8:55 AM
I want each of you to know how much the public support is appreciated during these troubled times. At the urging of friends, family and constituents, I had agreed to a residential therapy program at the local solid waste disposal site, but given the comments from my fellow turners, I have determined that I am not in need of therapy. Many of you have offered encouragement, but I have been particularly helped by the uplifting examples of Dick Wilson, Jeff Nicol, and a few others - to them I am especially thankful. Their examples are guiding my recovery!

I now realize my actions were harmless, and nothing more than most "normal" woodturners do from time to time - the relief is overwhelming. My self esteem has recovered to the point that, in fact, I am reconsidering my thoughts of resignation.;)

Thanks to all of you!!:D:D:D

Cathy Schaewe
06-19-2011, 9:21 AM
John, lying to the Court is a serious no-no. And trying to cover it up, like you are now doing, is even worse. We may have to have a hearing on sanctions ....

Mark Hix
06-19-2011, 8:20 PM
You know John, most of us use shavings instead of those costly anti-fatigue mats.

Mike Cruz
06-19-2011, 9:33 PM
You call THOSE shavings? HA! I don't clean mine (when I actually get around to making them) until I am shin high in them. That, John, is NOT a pile of shavings... Thanks for your attempt at honesty and pretending to be a mere mortal, though. :)

Baxter Smith
06-19-2011, 10:40 PM
A somewhat sorry excuse for a mess. I do believe this is the first picture of your lathe you have posted without the broom and dustpan to the left. I suppose changing the angle kept them hidden by the bench.:)

Jeff Nicol
06-19-2011, 10:48 PM
John, I cleaned for 5 hours on Saturday in preparation for a fellow turner and customer of mine from Milwaukee to stop in. Even after all the sweating, cussing and sweeping I could hardly tell that I had done anything at all! But you may get to see it soon enough, I might get it spruced up a little bit more by Thursday!

A mess just proves you accomplished something!

Jeff

bob svoboda
06-20-2011, 9:13 AM
John, I don't think you had anything to be ashamed of until you posted this pathetic picture. That is obviously not a mess to be proud of and I think your post is just another thinly veiled cleanliness gloat :D

John Keeton
06-20-2011, 10:57 AM
There just is no compassion amongst this group!!!:confused: I pour out my heart in a spirit of repentance:rolleyes:, hoping for acceptance and forgiveness;), only to receive a calloused response. Where is the justice???:confused::D

Sid Matheny
06-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Wish mine was that clean.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af350/Sidro59/sawdust_1jpg.jpg

David DeCristoforo
06-20-2011, 12:26 PM
"There just is no compassion amongst this group..."

Uhh... excuse me. My response to your "confession" was heartfelt forgiveness and understanding. Being that I was a direct target of your self righteousness I believe that this represented a truly compassionate position for which your ingratitude is unconscionable.

John Keeton
06-20-2011, 12:30 PM
David, you are right:eek: (excuse the sudden twitch in my hand) - I offer my deepest apologies! You, as the lone exception, stood for me when no others would. I will be eternally grateful!:):rolleyes:

Dick Wilson
06-20-2011, 1:24 PM
Wish mine was that clean.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af350/Sidro59/sawdust_1jpg.jpg

Is your lathe under that pile. Jumping gee hossifats!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:: eek: