PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Griz G055P 14" bandsaw vs the PC from Lowes.

Rich Engelhardt
06-18-2011, 7:10 AM
It's either that or the Porter Cable from Lowes.
Since this is probably my last big tool purchase, I want to make sure I get the right thing.

The Griz offers a whole lot of value over the PC for about $100 more.
The only disadvantage of the Griz is that it has to be shipped.
That's a 99.5% deal breaker for me.
I might be able to talk them into letting me have it shipped to my place of work. We have a dock there.
I'd still need to get it home somehow though.

The PC comes in a big box that will fit in my van:I can run over to Lowes right now and pick one up.

The shipped Griz on the other hand could be a huge problem.
Can anyone that's bought one or a similar 14" Griz tell me how they shipped it?
Is it crated upright or is it in some kind of box/crate of peices parts?
I can handle unloading it from the back of a semi myself either way if I have to - but- and this is a huge but - only of I'm home to do it.
If I have it shipped to work & it's crated upright, I'm afraid it might not fit in the back of my van.

Any insights would be appreciated.
I really don't want the PC unless it's the only choice.

BTW - used is out. I've been looking for nearly a year and all there is out there is overpriced junk.

geoff wood
06-18-2011, 8:11 AM
i bought the g0555p when it first came out and was on sale... the box fit in the backseat of my 99 ford explorer. the height of the box was the bandsaw minus the base, by about 3 foot square. it was not crated but the cardboard box was very sturdy. it was easy to put together and get working properly, but when the directions say have someone help you put the saw on the base, do it, as i hurt my back doing it alone. just the other day i was using it with a 3tpi 1" wide resaw blade slicing 10" wide walnut logs freehand, the table kept tweaking under the weight, but the saw did amazing.

David Nelson1
06-18-2011, 8:53 AM
I bought a Jet 14 Pro and it came in 2 cardboard boxes. Really packed well. Like Geoff said get help lifting the saw to the base!! I used a Hyd. lift table and a fulcrum to gain some mechanical advantage on the weight. The trouble was lining the holes up for the base to the saw and balancing the saw while ya tweek it. I got it done but it could have gone sour on me very easily.

Rich Engelhardt
06-18-2011, 9:02 AM
Thanks guys!
This is what I'm after!

As far as lifting heavy stuff,,,no problem.
I'm no Atlas, but, I've found w/heavy stuff you either have time or the right equipment. Both is obviuosly better.
I unloaded a 600 poumd safe from the back of my pickup & got it downstairs into the family room all by myself a number of years ago.
It's not hard at all if you think it through and take things in small steps - and figure it's going to be an all day job.

David Nelson1
06-18-2011, 9:12 AM
1+ on the all day thing

glenn bradley
06-18-2011, 11:11 AM
From the stories we hear on the forum, it definitely depends on the quality of the "last mile" delivery outfit but . . . In my purchases from Grizzly, the local company has always emailed and called me with a date and a 4 hour window. They have never missed. The driver also has called me from no less than 30 minutes away, every time. This was FedEx Freight so I don't know how well others do but, have heard stories of not-so-good service in that arena. I'd go with the Griz over the PC. The quality on the PC on the floor in my local store is pretty questionable but, my opinion is probably tainted in that I have always had good luck with my Grizzly purchases.

Cary Falk
06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
The Grizzly is the better tool. I have never heard a bad thing about it. Customer service will be better if you need it. Shipping is not that big of deal. You can pick up form the shipping company if you like also.

Keith Christopher
06-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I just got the G0555 (see previous post) The box will easily fit into the back of a van. Often the shipping company will allow pickup from their warehouse. I would go with the Grizzly personally. bu if you want instant gratification go with the lowes one. I would expect they operate the same.

Stephen Olson
06-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Call Grizzly and find out what the dimensions of the crate are, that will eliminate that variable from your considerations.

Cary Falk
06-18-2011, 1:02 PM
Call Grizzly and find out what the dimensions of the crate are, that will eliminate that variable from your considerations.
No need to call Grizzly the manual online lists the box dimensions.

Jim Finn
06-18-2011, 4:31 PM
I picked up my Go555 with my pickup and assembled it and set it up all alone. I did not follow the directions exactly. What I did was I put on the riser and attached the saw to the base laying down. I then tiped the whole thing upright. Worked for me.

Neil Brooks
06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Grizzly specs almost always list the carton dimensions, shipping weight, etc.

For the 555, look here (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0555_ds.pdf).

As a 555X owner ... I couldn't be happier with my band saw. Period. Just love it.

Good luck, either way !

Rich Engelhardt
06-19-2011, 5:58 AM
Great info!
Looks like all I have to do is find out @ work if they'll let me have it shipped there & I can cart it home in the van.

Prashun Patel
06-19-2011, 9:28 AM
I have the G0555. It's a good saw.

I moved mine by myself to and from different shops twice, one was in the basement. The base and motor can be removed. Also, because of the ability to install the riser block, the top and bottom of the frame can be easily unbolted and separated. It comes apart in about 4-5 managable pieces.

When I started cutting green wood and resawing more seriously, I wanted more height and power than the G0555 provides. However, the $70 riser block solves the first problem. And by using the right blades, and moving the speed down to 1750, I've found the saw has been able to cut thru even 8" wet oak.

John Coloccia
06-19-2011, 10:07 AM
You can usually puck up at the terminal.

Rich Engelhardt
06-19-2011, 11:07 AM
You can usually puck up at the terminal.
Terminal pickup &/or home delivery are pretty much out for me. I'm not flexible enough in my hours right now.
I have like 6 weeks to go before I retire and all my time off is spoken for.
In another 6 weeks or so I'll have plenty of time - I hope - to either be home or go to the terminal.

The only problem is I need to get this bought before I retire;I'm not sure how long the Griz will be at the introductory price.

Here's one you probably won't ever hear again....

It would be soooo nice if I ordered one from Griz and it was backordered until late August :O !

Paul Wunder
06-19-2011, 1:46 PM
Rich,

Please forgive the obvious, but have you discussed your situation directly with Grizzly re how long the Intro price will hold and whether you can defer delivery? Maybe, with the two variables you and Grizzly may be able to come to a suitable arrangement. I have found them to be helpful.

Doug Donnell
06-19-2011, 6:53 PM
I have ordered two machines at different times from Griz, a G0555 bandsaw and an 8 inch jointer. Your shipper will have a local depot, I went to get both machines at the local shipper's depot and they put them in my truck right off the fork lift. It would probably work fine for your van. Note, DO NOT let them bully you into signing the shipping invoice prior to inspection of the crate. Admission: I did, but it turned out fine, the crate was ok. However I kicked myself for not standing firm on so obvious an issue.

I don't recall the specifics of building the bandsaw, but I did it by myself. I may have used a block and tackle over a joist (local hunting store will have a "deer hoist") but honestly I think I just lifted it myself.

The jointer was another matter. My wife helped my slide it out of the pickup into the shop double doors on to sawhorses. After that I was on my own. That Saturday I uncrated the machine (heavy top and seperate base), then went to the equipement rental and rented a tow behind engine hoist. Took ten minutes to mount the top to the base.

You will enjoy that band saw. I am not certain I could do without it less than my table saw....

D

Rich Engelhardt
06-20-2011, 5:48 AM
Paul,
Not yet. Contacting Grizzly is my next step.

Bruce Wrenn
06-20-2011, 10:00 PM
The PC looks just like the old "Elephant" brand that was sold off the back of trucks, and at flea markets. Basically a POS, IMHO. Either get the Grizzly, or watch CL for used Delta 14". Here when one pops up on CL, others soon follow. In the last 60 days, there has been an open stand Delta (with riser) for $100, and an enclosed stand Delta (also with riser), and mobile base for $300, and a couple of others for $250- $350 range. All American Made machines, with one exception.