PDA

View Full Version : 1st turning from the mesquite haul

Kathy Marshall
06-18-2011, 3:51 AM
Picked up another load of mesquite after work and by the time I got home I only had enough time to cut up one of the logs before it started getting dark. Ended up with a big bowl blank, 5 hf blanks and the center pith section which will be cut up into pen blanks.
Got the smaller blanks sealed and decided to turn the bowl blank.

It's been a little while since I've turned a nice piece of green mesquite, I'd forgotten how much I like it.
I've been wanting to try a chip and dip bowl and thought this blank would work great. I turned the outside then sanded down to 400, even green it sands up like a dream, and not a single crack to be found.
Turned it around and started on the inside. I started by marking where I thought the best place for the oustide of the inner bowl would be, then started hollowing the outer bowl. I used my Easy Finisher to get a nice curve at the bottom where it transitions to the outside of the inner bowl. Then I hollowed out the inner bowl. Then sanded to 400 and applied some walnut oil. It's about 11" x 4".
I'm pretty happy with this one and I think I'll give it to my mom, but I have a feeling I'll be doing another one for my oldest sister when she sees what mom got (she loves mesquite and has latched onto a few of my other mesquite pieces lol).

198360 198361

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Roland Martin
06-18-2011, 5:11 AM
Very nice Kathy. The grain and rich color are beautiful. No time wasted:D

John Keeton
06-18-2011, 7:05 AM
Kathy, as nice as that is I suspect you should do several more! When the word gets out, you will be getting more requests.

Obviously, the mesquite is nice, but what I like about this design is the lack of an undercut on the interior bowl. While I think aesthetically, such an undercut is an improvement - giving the appearance of a separate interior bowl, it is not a very functional design. With your piece, one would not be "chasing" broken chips down into the undercut - much more functional IMO. Well done!

Michael James
06-18-2011, 9:56 AM
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIICE! I cannot imagine an American family that does NOT need one of those for the summer BBQ / grilling sessions with friends, relatives and neighbors. Good job on my favorite wood!
mj

David E Keller
06-18-2011, 10:13 AM
What a great looking piece of wood! I like the form, and it's certainly a wonderful functional piece. Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Kathy that is one beautiful piece and beautiful wood. If people see that you might be making a few more for sure.

David DeCristoforo
06-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Sweet... Bring on the chips and dip!

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Very nice! Love the wood and the flowing curves of the piece really work well! Your Mom is going to love it!

Harvey Ghesser
06-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Well that was quick work! Beautiful and functional!:D

Ed Morgano
06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Kathy,
Beautiful work as usual. I just realized that you are in Phoenix. I was going to leave for there this morning to visit my daughter but the trip has to be posponed. Anyway, if I ever do get there, I'd like to see your work and meet you.

charlie knighton
06-18-2011, 11:29 AM
very nice, somebody will enjoy it

Tim Thiebaut
06-18-2011, 11:57 AM
That mesquite is beautiful Kathy, and your bowl turned out great! My mom just moved to Gold Canyon a little way outside of Phoenix, next time I get down there to see her I am going to have to find some of this wood.

Baxter Smith
06-18-2011, 8:25 PM
Very pretty wood. Nice shape. Very useful. Doesn't get much better!

Rick Markham
06-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Heck Yeah! I NEED one of those for when I am perusing the Creek :D (especially with chips and dip)

That's some fantastic looking mesquite. I like the design improvement, and it's visual impact. It's perfect.

Kathy Marshall
06-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks everyone! Mom loved it!

Kathy, as nice as that is I suspect you should do several more! When the word gets out, you will be getting more requests.

Obviously, the mesquite is nice, but what I like about this design is the lack of an undercut on the interior bowl. While I think aesthetically, such an undercut is an improvement - giving the appearance of a separate interior bowl, it is not a very functional design. With your piece, one would not be "chasing" broken chips down into the undercut - much more functional IMO. Well done!

Thanks John! I agree about an undercut on the inner bowl, but also that this design is more user friendly. Just from wiping off the dust and wiping off the excess walnut oil I can see that it will be a breeze to wipe clean.

Kathy that is one beautiful piece and beautiful wood. If people see that you might be making a few more for sure.
Thanks Bernie! I showed it to my tree trimmer friend and the 1st words out of her mouth were "ohhhhh I want one!" So looks like I'll be making more.

Kathy,
Beautiful work as usual. I just realized that you are in Phoenix. I was going to leave for there this morning to visit my daughter but the trip has to be posponed. Anyway, if I ever do get there, I'd like to see your work and meet you.

Send me a message when you're going to be here and leave room in your luggage and I'll send you home with whatever you can fit.

That mesquite is beautiful Kathy, and your bowl turned out great! My mom just moved to Gold Canyon a little way outside of Phoenix, next time I get down there to see her I am going to have to find some of this wood.

Thanks Tim, ditto for you, let me know next time you're here and I'll load you up.

Billy Tallant
06-19-2011, 2:12 AM
Very nice job Kathy! I can see a lot more requests coming your way. That grain pattern is simply amazing. Your Mom will be proud of that bowl for sure.

Steve Campbell
06-19-2011, 7:00 AM
What a nice pleasing shape. The wood is some of the best I have seen in a while. I'm sure you will have many more requests

Steve

Cathy Schaewe
06-19-2011, 9:23 AM
Boy, I like that! Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to be copying the design!

Dick Wilson
06-19-2011, 9:31 AM
Kathy, You used Walnut Oil of the bowl. Obviously it is food safe, but I was wondering how the oil holds up to acidic foods like salsa and some types of dip?

Nate Davey
06-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I was wondering the same thing as Dick mentioned. I was thinking of turning a similar bowl, but making the salsa area designed to fit an insert bowl for the dips.