PDA

View Full Version : First Picture Frame

Jerry Lawrence
06-18-2011, 2:14 AM
So a couple months ago my wife took our 10 y/o daughter to see Orla Fallon, formerly of Celtic Woman, give a small concert near our hometown. Since we know one of the people who put the concert together, she got to go backstage afterwards and meet Orla and talk to her for awhile. She also signed a poster for my daughter, which she loved! Well, not wanting the poster to get damaged, she asked if I could make a frame for it. Anyone with daughters knows you just can't say no to a request like that (especially when they're 10), so here's what I came up with.

It's my first attempt at making a frame, but overall I'm pleased. Outer frame is a beautiful piece of bird's-eye maple, 2" wide, about 7/8" thick finished. The 'mat' is purpleheart, 1 1/2" wide, about 1/8" thick. Overall size is 18" X 24". As you can see, I didn't go the distance on the back, but could always go back and revisit that later. The maple is rabbetted out and the mat and picture are held in against the glass just by a piece of 3/16" plywood. The circles that hold the plywood in place are just drilled out circles from a 1/8" piece of pao amarillo i had handy. The bit cut the circle and the spur left the hole in the middle, slightly tapered, just right for the brass screw. I sanded part of the circle off so when rotated they will let the plywood come out.

Sorry for such a long description, and even moreso for the lousy pics. It's funny how the flash and lighting really changes the look and color of the woods.

Comments and critiques greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
06-18-2011, 9:14 AM
Nicely done!

Peter Harbin
06-18-2011, 9:51 PM
Very sharp Jerry!

Jerry Lawrence
06-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys! Also, it's hard to tell from the pics, but the frame is tapered in toward the glass. It is flat for about the first 3/4" from the outside edge, then tapers in to about 3/16" against the glass.