PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Hickory

Gary Hodgin
06-17-2011, 3:35 PM
Just got back from the BORG where I bought a small 10 oz "Genuine Hickory" handled hammer for my grandsons to bend nails with. I don't know what "genuine hickory" is, but I bet it's not hickory.

Michael James
06-17-2011, 10:26 PM
That's probably up there with "certified angus" beef. Personally, Im more concerned with the grade than the breed.
I'm sure mom and dad are delgihted grandpa sent them home with hammers, regardless of handle! :rolleyes:

Gary Hodgin
06-17-2011, 11:11 PM
And genuine leather. Yep, they'll like the hammer. Just got a book by Craig Stevens entitled Woodworking 101 For Kids. Nice projects.

I just wondered if there is some hickory that's not genuine hickory. Usually when you see wording like that something is up. Looks like hickory would work just fine.

Bryan Morgan
06-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Guess you'll have to smoke some ribs with it and see how they taste. Replace it with a certified genuine maple handle.

Kevin W Johnson
06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Guess you'll have to smoke some ribs with it and see how they taste. Replace it with a certified genuine maple handle.

Or replace it with an Applewood handle that can be used to smoke bacon at a later date.

curtis rosche
06-18-2011, 1:19 AM
replace it with orange osage, they will love the rebound on the swing. i replaced a masons hammer handles with osage and he loves them

Bill Cunningham
06-18-2011, 5:10 PM
Hickory? Maybe that's how the Chinese pronounce what ever kind of mystery wood it really is?

Gary Hodgin
06-18-2011, 6:05 PM
Hickory? Maybe that's how the Chinese pronounce what ever kind of mystery wood it really is?

I'll bet that's it. It was made in China, of course.

ray hampton
06-18-2011, 6:43 PM
genuine hickory might include any wood except petrified wood, bamboo or the wood use for models

Roger Newby
06-18-2011, 7:17 PM
How 'bout faux hickory? Ya never see that advertised.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-18-2011, 8:13 PM
This "genuine" stuff reminds me of a gift from my grandfather about 55 years ago. It was a zippered wallet with a likeness of a cowboy riding a bronc. On the inside was a tag that said "genuine imitation leather". I asked dad what that meant--go see your mother. Asked mom--go see your gramps, he gave it to you. Gramps said that means it's for cowboys. Boy was I happy. Why can I remember this in detail when I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning????:confused:

Tom Winship
06-18-2011, 9:29 PM
I'll bet that's it. It was made in China, of course.

Nonsense! I'm sure we ship hickory to China, for them to put in the hammer head and ship back. I bet it is genuine American Old Hickory!

Zach England
06-19-2011, 8:25 AM
How 'bout faux hickory? Ya never see that advertised.

I think consumers have been conditioned by "faux" products, compelling marketers to make a point when their products are indeed not "faux".

Russ Filtz
06-21-2011, 8:25 AM
Nonsense! I'm sure we ship hickory to China, for them to put in the hammer head and ship back. I bet it is genuine American Old Hickory!

You forgot the "Insert Emerald Wood Borers" step.

Chris Kennedy
06-21-2011, 8:37 AM
The "Genuine Hickory" replacement axe handle I bought a month ago looks like hickory and feels like hickory. So, it might just actually be hickory.

Gary Hodgin
06-21-2011, 3:00 PM
The "Genuine Hickory" replacement axe handle I bought a month ago looks like hickory and feels like hickory. So, it might just actually be hickory.

Chris,
You're probably right. My hammer handle looks like hickory with a lacquer finish. If so, Workforce ought to just put "Hickory" on it.

Roger Newby
06-21-2011, 4:35 PM
Nonsense! I'm sure we ship hickory to China, for them to put in the hammer head and ship back. I bet it is genuine American Old Hickory! That's Amelican Hickolee