PDA

View Full Version : Headboard Updates & Question

Teresa Jones
02-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks to all the helpful advice received here, the headboard is progressing.

I have a question about making the legs. I have two pieces of solid cherry. Both are rough lumber, eight feet. One is 5/4, just 6 inches wide, the other is 4/4, 8 inches wide.

I am going to attempt to make what I know as quadralinear legs. My mockup is shown below. The plan called for making solid legs from 12/4 cherry - right.

Should I go quadralinear and if so which piece of cherry would you use?
If not, how would you make the legs?

Thanks, TJ.

Keith Christopher
02-11-2005, 1:08 PM
Thanks to all the helpful advice received here, the headboard is progressing.

I have a question about making the legs. I have two pieces of solid cherry. Both are rough lumber, eight feet. One is 5/4, just 6 inches wide, the other is 4/4, 8 inches wide.

I am going to attempt to make what I know as quadralinear legs. My mockup is shown below. The plan called for making solid legs from 12/4 cherry - right.

Should I go quadralinear and if so which piece of cherry would you use?
If not, how would you make the legs?

Thanks, TJ.
That will work fine of course. very common. I always use a solid pine or maple core when I do them. I do help the glue up using a lock miter bit though. Here is a technique I use also you may find helpful (makes good looking faces. easier. IMHO).

Here is what I'm talking about.

Keith Christopher
02-11-2005, 1:09 PM
OOPS I missed the fact you're using plywood. My technique won't work you'll have exposed edges.

Jim Becker
02-11-2005, 1:13 PM
Teresa, the leg design you propose is a great way to control grain presentation while making a strong, larger profile. Good choice, IMHO, as long as "what goes on top" works design-wise for you.

Jerry Olexa
02-11-2005, 5:22 PM
Teresa, I completed a cherry headboard a few months ago. I used a similar approach on the posts as Keith said and added spacers inside to insure the "squareness". I also chamfered the edges to blend the joints. I gather the ply in your pic is for a mock up but actual stock will be solid hardwood so it should work! I'll try attach a few pics.