PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Haul!

Kathy Marshall
06-17-2011, 2:47 AM
Got a call from the tree trimmers yesterday, they had cut down a large mesquite tree, was I interested in any?
Ummm...YEAH!
I was down to just a couple small pieces, so I was definitely interested in stocking back up. Picked up a truckload today and will go back tomorrow for another. Lots of big pieces. Couldn't find my big tape measure, so had to settle for the little one, don't know if you can see it or not but the center piece is about 20" diameter. The 2 smaller pieces standing upright in the left corner are native Az mesquite, the big pieces are chilean mesquite and there are a couple of evergreen elm logs (ulmus parvifolia) also known as chinese elm.
Now if I could just find a little wood fairy to come around and cut it all into blanks and seal it for me :D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Tim Thiebaut
06-17-2011, 3:46 AM
Great load of wood Kathy....nice license plate to!

Donny Lawson
06-17-2011, 6:51 AM
Nice haul. I too noticed your license plate. I need one like that.

John Keeton
06-17-2011, 7:46 AM
Now if I could just find a little wood fairy to come around and cut it all into blanks and seal it for me :DThat is the part I dislike most about this hobby!!! Nice haul, Kathy! You will be cranking out more spectacular forms in short order.

David E Keller
06-17-2011, 9:16 PM
Nice haul, Kathy! Looking forward to seeing some finished work, too.

Billy Tallant
06-17-2011, 9:28 PM
Nice load of wood! Be interesting to see what you turn out of that. :)

Jeff Fagen
06-17-2011, 9:55 PM
I never get any takers but I am always offering to trade Box Elder for Mesquite:)

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2011, 9:57 PM
Nice load of mesquite Kathy. Great bunch of tuning wood. Love the license plate.

Michael James
06-17-2011, 10:05 PM
uhhhhh.. do you ever rest? ;) Nice haul; you seem to have the tree folks trained pretty well. No mesquite up here, but TONS of chinese elm. Looking forward to your turnings.
mj

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Wow! Nice gloat! Sure is some pretty wood - get all you can! Great license plate!

Kathy Marshall
06-18-2011, 3:18 AM
Thanks everyone!

uhhhhh.. do you ever rest? ;) Nice haul; you seem to have the tree folks trained pretty well. No mesquite up here, but TONS of chinese elm. Looking forward to your turnings.
mj
Rest is highly overrated :O
It helps when the tree folks receive turnings now and then ;) and the wife (who I usually deal with) is soon to become a victim of the vortex. Plans are being made to enclose one of their sheds and add some A/C then get some equipment this fall once their season slows down a little.