PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" Glaser Oval Gouge 15V Critique

Harvey Ghesser
06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I have almost been obsessive/compulsive with bowl turning these past two years.:eek:
Lots and lots and lots of bowls. :eek:

So when I got the Glaser I thought to myself, this can't possibly be better than what I'm using now! Or could it?:confused:

It's all about the oval shape! I kid you not! From the moment I put gouge to spinning wood I knew it was different. I have both the "U" gouge and the "V" gouge and they both don't hold a candle to the Glaser oval! There is no comparison.....The Glaser gouge cut where I wanted it to....smooth as silk. I just can't believe the difference!

And if it sounds like I'm ready to jump up and down....I am! When you've turned as many bowls as I have in two years and you just found a tool that makes your hobby so much more pleasureable you want to jump up and down!:D

The 15V has 50 more vanadium than the 10V so it goes longer without the need for sharpening. So far, I've done two bowls. Both were Big Leaf Maple Burl which were completely dry when I received the blanks. I was told by Paulo Marin at Glaser HiTec to use a diamond card hone to refresh the edge. That's all I've done! and it's still scary sharp! I'm not kidding! And it's a dream to hold!

If any of you have a chance to turn with a Glaser, you'll know what I mean right away!

And I'm not on the Glaser HiTec payroll either! I'm just really elated that I found a great tool.198201198200:D

P.S. The bowl isn't finished yet, but I couldn't wait! Had to share! (12" X 3 1/2")

Michael James
06-16-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't need a new gouge..I don't need a new gouge..I don't need a new gouge..I don't need a new gouge..I don't need a new gouge..
Ok, maybe I could use a decent gouge. All right, my PSI BB's are not the best, but they get the job done and I really don't NEED one....
But I work hard, and maybe I should just get myself a nice one, you know just to try it out. Not that it's almost father's day and I probably deserve one.... hmmmmm
It wouldn't hurt to go online "window shopping", I mean it's not a real commitment, despite the fact I have been faithful to my plastic usage... heck I dont even spend money on beer. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh, by the way.... NICE bowl!
mj off to shop

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Harvey - glad to hear you like using your new gouge! Beautiful bowl! Looking forward to seeing it again once it is finished!

Jon Prouty
06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
You guys are killing me! My tool arsenal is looking more impressive than any turnings I have done. I have a 3/8" and 5/8" V from the other master... Now you got me needing a 1/2" Glaser.

JP

John Keeton
06-17-2011, 7:55 AM
Harvey, nice writeup! I am concerned though, that your gouge is dirty - don't you clean and wax your gouges after working with them??:rolleyes::D (Just thought I would throw that in for David D's sake!)

Nice bowl, too - very nice!

Harvey Ghesser
06-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Harvey, nice writeup! I am concerned though, that your gouge is dirty - don't you clean and wax your gouges after working with them??:rolleyes::D (Just thought I would throw that in for David D's sake!)

John, thank you for your concern, however, I have found, though painfully I might add, that I am best suited to a life where only my sons (ages30 and 32) see the hurricane mess their father lives in. I would, however, remove my shoes if I were to be invited to enter your's or DD's house!

Harvey Ghesser
06-17-2011, 12:15 PM
You guys are killing me! My tool arsenal is looking more impressive than any turnings I have done. I have a 3/8" and 5/8" V from the other master... Now you got me needing a 1/2" Glaser.

JP

Jon, I switched to a different gouge profile because after many, many turned bowls, I could see that something wasn't working for me. The Glaser was the fix! It's unbelievable!

Harvey Ghesser
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't need a new gouge..I don't need a new gouge..I don't need a new gouge..I don't need a new gouge..I don't need a new gouge..
Ok, maybe I could use a decent gouge. All right, my PSI BB's are not the best, but they get the job done and I really don't NEED one....
But I work hard, and maybe I should just get myself a nice one, you know just to try it out. Not that it's almost father's day and I probably deserve one.... hmmmmm
It wouldn't hurt to go online "window shopping", I mean it's not a real commitment, despite the fact I have been faithful to my plastic usage... heck I dont even spend money on beer. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh, by the way.... NICE bowl!
mj off to shop

Michael, did you forget about the vortex?

But sometimes, there really is an item that makes a difference. It did im my case. I guess that's why I'm on this soapbox. The oval profile really works!

Dick Wilson
06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Harvey, My seat belt is on. I have many ropes securely attached to my house which are securely knotted to D Rings on a special vest I had made. I sort of look like a Seal Commando except for the big belly.:D:D:D I refuse to be sucked into the Vortex any further.:eek::eek: I can truly make a buffalo scream on a nickle.;). Someday when my ship comes in, or Lotto number wins whichever comes first, I will join all of you machine and tool fanatics on the Creek at the bottom of the vortex. Now, all of you LEAVE ME ALONE!!:)

The bowl you turned is beautiful.

David DeCristoforo
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM
My advice is DO NOT BUY A GLASER TOOL!!! It will ruin you forever. You will never be satisfied with anything else. It's not about "need". You can get to the grocery store just fine in a Kia. But it's so much nicer to go in a Porsche!

Actually, the 15V 1/2" Glaser gouge I got recently is more than likely going to become the most often reached for tool I have. I also recently "discovered" spindle gouges! I have some Sorbys but I'm already drooling over the Glaser spindle gouges and can easily foresee my "net worth" declining even further!

allen thunem
06-17-2011, 1:06 PM
Dont you people have better things to do than come on here and pontificate about the wonders of another tool that none of us clearly dont need and ruin an otherwise wonderful day??????
Now i have to go tool shopping thanks alot. get a life find an different less expensive hobby take up knitting get me out of this vortex.
gouges what gouges i dont need no more stinking gouges

Michael James
06-17-2011, 1:09 PM
Michael, did you forget about the vortex?

But sometimes, there really is an item that makes a difference. It did im my case. I guess that's why I'm on this soapbox. The oval profile really works!

Actually, I'm in denial. I can see how it affects you all...but this is different!:rolleyes:
I did have a conversation with Doug T this morning and have a couple 1/2 in bowl gouges coming my way. At my stage of development, I think it was a prudent move.
I may be there someday..... time will tell!
mj

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-17-2011, 1:09 PM
and can easily foresee my "net worth" declining even further!
Yes, but your net happiness will soar every time you step up to that red lathe with your black bowl gouge in hand.
faust

David DeCristoforo
06-17-2011, 9:08 PM
"...but your net happiness will soar..."

I'm not so sure. You have to be careful because there are those that are always looking at how clean you keep your stuff. They can drive you nuts, making you feel guilty because you got some dust or a scratch on your expensive new tool. There's more to this vortex than meets the eye!

John Keeton
06-17-2011, 9:45 PM
... there are those that are always looking at how clean you keep your stuff. They can drive you nuts, making you feel guilty because you got some dust or a scratch on your expensive new tool.David, I even sleep with one eye open on your shop....just to make sure.....;):D:D:D

Roger Chandler
06-17-2011, 10:05 PM

aah, ............the sheriff rides again! :D

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Folks,
"Big Brother" finally has a face. If you see a nice white haired man looking through your shop window and shaking his head in disapproval at the piles of chips on your floor and scorning the sap on your tool edges, it's not Santa of Kenny.
faust

Harvey Ghesser
06-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Thank you, Steve! I've got two coats of WOP so far.

A question please....I return the bowl to the lathe held by a vacuum chuck then I lightly sand with 600 grit on a drill at slow speed. Is this step necessary or will 0000 steel wool work as well?

I look forward to finishing this bowl as it is my first one with my new Glaser gouge!:D

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Couldn't tell you as I do not use steel wool for anything when finishing. I have had good success using the drill/slow speed method you described!

Harvey Ghesser
06-18-2011, 1:12 PM
Couldn't tell you as I do not use steel wool for anything when finishing. I have had good success using the drill/slow speed method you described!

Thank you Steve...There are no shortcuts to a beautiful finish!:(

Bill Bolen
06-18-2011, 6:22 PM
So Harvey what is the difference between an "oval" gouge and the "U". I'm not noticing a difference in the pic between the two?...Bill....

Harvey Ghesser
06-18-2011, 8:43 PM
Hi Bill,

A picture is worth a thousand words so here it is. You can see that the gouge on the left (Glaser) is more of an oval than the gouge on the right (Thompson) which is a "U". If you look carefully you'll see that the Glaser has more flute to hog wood than the Thompson. More flute means more cutting angle. That's why Glaser gouges cut differently than Thompsons. BTW, they are both 1/2", both ground to 45 degrees.
Paulo Marin, the owner of Glaser HiTec says that Jerry Glaser told him that the U and the V shapes are not the correct shapes. I switched because I always had trouble with the Thompson gouges but everyone loved them. Then I tried the Glaser:D and I realized it wasn't me....

Hope this answers your question.

Gary Max
06-18-2011, 9:04 PM
Talk about apples and oranges----what a difference. I would love to put some laps on one of those.

Harvey Ghesser
06-18-2011, 9:33 PM
Yup! The oval geometry of the Glaser made a big difference in my woodturning! I notice it especially when I'm hollowing out a bowl. Much more control.

Bill Bolen
06-19-2011, 2:03 AM
Thanks Harvey, the difference is plain as day in those shots! I poked around on the web a bit looking for them but the suppliers seem to be hiding out from me. Do you have a link? Thanks a ton for the answer also...Bill...

Harvey Ghesser
06-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Bill, I bought mine at the Glaserhitec dot com.

Jake Helmboldt
06-19-2011, 2:22 PM
So can these Glasers be mounted in a standard tool handle, or can they be bought without a handle? $200+ for a tool hurts.

Question for Doug Thompson (if he sees this): I see you have an oval gouge listed for the Glaser handles. Does this mean the flute and bar stock profile are similar to the Glaser oval gouge? Or is it simply oval shaped where it enters the handle?

David DeCristoforo
06-19-2011, 3:09 PM
"...can these Glasers be mounted in a standard tool handle..."

The Glaser tool "come complete". They do not sell blades or handles separately. The "oval" gouges are not oval in cross-section. They are ground from round bar stock. The oval refers to the depth and shape of the flute. I like the deeper flute because with a "swept back" wing, there is a nice long cutting edge that can be used for fine shearing cuts.

Gary Max
06-19-2011, 4:17 PM
Guess that's why my Ellsworth is my Go-to tool and my second is a P&N.

Paulo Marin
06-19-2011, 6:17 PM
Harvey,
I am truly happy you are satisfied with your 15V Glaser tool. Lots of research by Jerry on that one..
I have been working with him on new metals and very soon we will introduce what I believe is a phenomenal steel into this mix.
On another post I copied a reply from Dr, Jerry Wright on the history of the CPM steels. It is a great opportunity for everybody to understand the history behind it.
Be careful not to drop the tool on your toe if you get too excited... As you said it is scary sharp. If that happens, it will chip it (the tool not the toe... the toe will be history :)...

Paulo Marin
06-19-2011, 6:29 PM
David,
I hope you have a stash account to support your tool vice :)
As for the blades they will be out very soon. People who prefer to use them in their own handles will have an opportunity to purchase our high quality blades to mount them in their handles.

David DeCristoforo
06-19-2011, 6:34 PM
A stash... that's what I need! Gonna have to work on that. I am addicted! Been using the 15V for two days now in hard maple and it's still super sharp. But I would rather buy my tools with handles. I like making handles but these "high tech" handles are sweet.

Paulo Marin
06-19-2011, 7:08 PM
It happened to me... It reminds me of that electric shaver guy... I liked the product so much that I decided to buy the company:p

The unfortunate thing is that I hardly have time to turn now.. It is like working at See's Candies... all that chocolate but you can't eat it..

Jeff Nicol
06-19-2011, 11:14 PM
I guess I am with Gary on the Ellsworth gouge, looks to be pretty much the same shape and with any of the gouges out there you can regrind them to find a better grind to suit your every cutting situation. I for one will never spend that much for one gouge, the $100 I spent on the Ellsworth was scary enough!

From BB to Packard, Pinnacle, Henry Taylor, Thompson, and others I have in my arsenal each has a favorite task that I use them for, keep them sharp and presented to the wood correctly and you will be rewarded with tons of pretty curls!

One can never have too many tools,

Jeff