PDA

View Full Version : Milano Doors

George Gyulatyan
06-16-2011, 7:58 PM
Hello,

I am very, very new to woodworking and currently as someone else had put it, I am learning through destruction :)

At the moment, I am reading as many books I can get my hands on, visit forums, and read, read, read.

In the coming months, I will be working on some projects throughout my house so I am sure I'll have a bunch of questions. Hopefully, after a while, I'll get to a point where I can answer more questions than ask them.

So, my first question, and this is pretty much more of a curiosity, can anyone figure out how those Milano Doors are put together? They have stiles, but no rails. Looks like they're being held together by metal rods from behind, but how would you keep it straight, and prevent the glass from sliding?

Here are some pics of what I am talking about:

Here's the link to the site:
http://www.milanodoors.com/catalog/interior/gallery/254/

Thank you all in advance.

George

Peter Quinn
06-16-2011, 8:36 PM
looks like stave core thermofoil stiles and acid etched tempered glass with metal stick on with tape (a special glazing tape most likely, but perhaps silicone). The glass is thick enough and strong enough to be structural, thus you need no rails. In fact, you need no stiles either if the glass were just a bit thicker! That is my guess. The stave core part is not a guess, that you can see in the photos.

George Gyulatyan
06-17-2011, 2:45 PM
Thanks for the reply Peter. I was thinking of this as a wooden door with glass, but I suppose it's better to think of it as a glass door with wood trim. My initial difficulty was that I was trying to figure out how the glass is held in place between the stiles through friction. But after your answer, I am thinking that they're just glued together with epoxy.

Thanks again.