PDA

View Full Version : Two lidded boxes.

Ed Morgano
06-16-2011, 5:19 PM
I'm going to AZ to visit my Daughter, Granddaughter and Great Granddaughter so I wanted to take some little something with and I needed them to fit in my suitcase. These are 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" tall. Poplar wtih cherry finials. Both are dyes with solvent dye and 3 coats of spray laquer then wetsanded, waxed and buffed. Thanks for looking. C&C most welcome.

Jim Burr
06-16-2011, 5:52 PM
Ed...im not sure about the finials...but the HF's and coloring are great...just looking at it on my fone...but the color really struck me.
OK...had the chance to view these on a real screen...they look like great fun!!! The little ones will no doubt cherish them! Finial shapes are well designed for kids...any thinner and ouch!!. I'm still drawn to the shape and coloring, no doubt due to my lack and your ability to make it pop!!

Ed Morgano
06-16-2011, 6:05 PM
Jim,
I'm new to finials. I turned these as thin as I could....even broke the ball off the red one......I need more practice!

Nate Davey
06-16-2011, 6:07 PM
I think they are great. One thought, if they are for younger children, the finial may need to be a little thicker for durabilities sake. I know they are going to love them

Tim Thiebaut
06-16-2011, 6:32 PM
Very nice Ed, your family will love them I am sure.

Rick Markham
06-16-2011, 6:58 PM
I think they are great Ed, I actually like the point on the red one's finial better, you just had a creative accident is all ;) I'm sure the family will love them! The colors are great!

John Keeton
06-16-2011, 7:13 PM
Ed, these will make excellent gifts! All the better that they came from you. Cherry is not the best wood for finials. Under any stress and it will fracture. I would suggest that you consider holly, African Blackwood, or even some very hard and straight grained maple if the other woods are not available to you. Walnut is not great, either, because it is more open grained, but it probably would not break as easily as cherry. Are you completing the finial from the tip back? Once you get the tip turned, you really can not go back to it later, so it is good to completely sand it and get it ready for finish as you go and do that for each section of the finial. You will get the hang of it quickly, I suspect!

Steve Schlumpf
06-16-2011, 8:20 PM
Ed - very pretty colors! The girls will love them! Have fun on your trip!

Harvey Ghesser
06-16-2011, 8:45 PM
They both look great, Ed! I'd love to see the look on their faces when you show it to them!:D

Michael James
06-16-2011, 8:53 PM
Nice job all around, and for my .02 that looks like lacquer done right! I don't find a spayed finish that isn't leveled attractive at all. Nice one, they'll love em.
mj

David E Keller
06-16-2011, 8:54 PM
Neat little gifts! I think your design opportunity on the red finial was a good one... I like the pointy shape.

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2011, 9:07 PM
Really nice gifts. They are going to love them.

Lori Kleinberg
06-17-2011, 1:08 AM
Those are beautiful pieces, the colors just stand out. They will love them.
Where in Arizona are you going? I hope nowhere near the fires.

Ed Morgano
06-18-2011, 9:17 AM
Those are beautiful pieces, the colors just stand out. They will love them.
Where in Arizona are you going? I hope nowhere near the fires.

Lori,
I was going to visit my Daughter in Phoenix but the trip has been posponed. My wife has been having problems and had a heart catheterization yesterday. She is fine but they still don't know what is causing the chest pains, tightness in her chest or general weakness. More tests to come. In the mean time, I'll be sending my girls their little boxes via the US Postal service.

John Keeton
06-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Ed, I hope your wife does well - so sorry to hear about her problems.

Baxter Smith
06-18-2011, 8:28 PM
Very nice boxes Ed. Glad your wife is doing fine. You will just have to make some others to deliver later!

Harry Robinette
06-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Ed
Those are BEAUTIFUL just BEAUTIFUL, Robert Chapman from UK I think has a book with this sort of box in it. If you like doing these check out his book I believe the title is Robert Chapman A Fresh Approach he'll give you some more ideas.
I really like these and the dye and finish is unbelievable.

Ed Morgano
06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Ed, these will make excellent gifts! All the better that they came from you. Cherry is not the best wood for finials. Under any stress and it will fracture. I would suggest that you consider holly, African Blackwood, or even some very hard and straight grained maple if the other woods are not available to you. Walnut is not great, either, because it is more open grained, but it probably would not break as easily as cherry. Are you completing the finial from the tip back? Once you get the tip turned, you really can not go back to it later, so it is good to completely sand it and get it ready for finish as you go and do that for each section of the finial. You will get the hang of it quickly, I suspect!

John,
Thanks for the tips on the finials. I found a local source of Holly and will give that a try.