PDA

View Full Version : Question on military seal copyright.

Cathy McCullough
06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
We are getting ready to do work for a organization that deals with military families. Are the official seals for the US military covered under any copyright laws or are they considered
public domain? We are laser cutting out ornaments and pins and they were wondering if we could include the seals on them. I thought someone on the forum has dealt with this.
Thanks

Martin Boekers
06-16-2011, 1:16 PM
Here is a sight that may help you plus the have many different file types.

Most branches you are fine with as long as they are not used deragatorally
or to imply endorsement.

Certain shields are off limits, such as the Presidential Seal and the DOD.

Check with Lazer Buzz here (do a quick search) I believe he has software packages
you will be interested in.

Marty

www.defense.gov/multimedia/web_graphics/ (http://www.defense.gov/multimedia/web_graphics/)

Mike Null
06-16-2011, 1:20 PM
The official seals of the armed services and the DOD are proprietary and may not be used. But that is all. In other words you are free to use all the other military insignia as long as the use is respectful. If you want formal authorization you can get it by contacting each branch of the military. You can also become an authorized dealer on the Air Force site by simply making a request and agreeing to guidelines.

Some people are confused about what the seals really are and I was going to give you a link but I've lost it. Anyway, as I recall each seal says something like "dept of" and is not something worn on a uniform.

Cathy McCullough
06-16-2011, 1:39 PM
The seals would be for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. The ornaments and pins are for an organization called the Blue Star Mothers. Each blue star represents someones son or daughter in the military. A gold star for anyone that has lost a family member, hopefully not many of those to do.
Thanks so much, can post up pics when we get them designed if anyone is interested.

Mike Null
06-16-2011, 2:05 PM
Cathy

I don't think you will need the actual seals to do the job. You can use more recognizable symbols and shields which are commonly associated with each of the services. Here's a link to show the AF seal. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Seal_of_the_US_Air_Force.svg

Martin Boekers
06-16-2011, 2:22 PM
The official seals of the armed services and the DOD are propietary and may not be used. But that is all. In other words you are free to use all the other military insignia as long as the use is respectful. If you want formal authorization you can get it by contacting each branch of the military. You can also become an authorized deaker oin the Air Force site by simply making a request and agreeing to guidelines.

Some people are confused about what the seals really are and I was going to give you a link but I've lost it. Anyway, as I recall each seal says something like "dept of" and is not something worn on a uniform.

Your right Mike on the Dept of... Those are the official seals. (Department of Defense) Most the ones people use will say at the top
United States and below the emblem the branch of service. Similar, but not the same. Even the Dept of can be used with permission,
but I believe the the seal of the Department of Defense and the seal of the President cannot be used except for official porpose.

Doug Griffith
06-16-2011, 2:24 PM
The official seals of the armed services and the DOD are propietary and may not be used. But that is all. In other words you are free to use all the other military insignia as long as the use is respectful. If you want formal authorization you can get it by contacting each branch of the military. You can also become an authorized deaker oin the Air Force site by simply making a request and agreeing to guidelines.

I requested permission from the Marine Corp a while back and it was a very speedy and painless process. They just needed to see an example of usage.

Cindy Rhoades
06-27-2011, 10:10 AM
yes you need copyright permission from each branch if you are going to charge them for your work, also if you are going to use the "Star" Mothers logo you must get permission from them also I just did some award plaques for two Gold Star Mothers chapters and had to call the headquaters in D.C. to get permission to use the logo for that. The application process is quick and painless aside from having to send samples to some of the branches.

Tim Bateson
06-27-2011, 7:57 PM
Most are public domain with a few exceptions - Presidential, Congress, House, & Senate.
Public domain from a copyright standpoint, but other restrictions apply. 18 U.S.C. § 713 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000713----000-.html) states that nobody can knowingly display any printed or other likeness of the Great Seal of the United States, or any facsimile thereof, in, or in connection with, any advertisement, poster, circular, book, pamphlet, or other publication, public meeting, play, motion picture, telecast, or other production, or on any building, monument, or stationery, for the purpose of conveying, or in a manner reasonably calculated to convey, a false impression of sponsorship or approval by the Government of the United States or by any department, agency, or instrumentality thereof.