PDA

View Full Version : London's Wood Stool

Gordon Eyre
06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
This stool is a favorite of my grandkids. This one is just the latest of 15 that I have made. The wood is Alder and was just some scraps that I had left over from other projects. The design was copied from one I saw in a magazine and redesigned by me for the size that I wanted. My children all have one that they use constantly with their own family. This particular one is for a great grandchild and has kind of an interesting story that goes along with it. My granddaughter and her husband had to live with my daughter for several months while her husband was looking for work. When he found a job they moved and my great granddaughter, London, started to cry because she could not take "her" stool with her. When they told me this story I quickly agreed to make this latest edition.

London's Stool:

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/135627401/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/135627404/original.jpg

I put my own mark on everything I make. I use a penny with the correct year it was made.

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/135627402/original.jpg

Princess London on a visit to Disneyland. Could you turn this beautiful little girl down?:

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/135244036/original.jpg

Jim Rimmer
06-16-2011, 1:58 PM
Great looking stool. I just saved the pics so I can "steal" the idea.

lowell holmes
06-16-2011, 2:45 PM
What a princess London is.

Gordon Eyre
06-16-2011, 5:03 PM
Great looking stool. I just saved the pics so I can "steal" the idea.

Hi Jim, glad you liked the stool. If I can be of any help with measurements, let me know.

What a princess London is.

That she is Lowell. I just dropped the stool off at their house and little London gave me a big hug. She is a cutey for sure.

lowell holmes
06-17-2011, 2:15 PM
I showed your photos to SWMBO. She immediately placed an order for two Grandsons. I know what my next project will be. I have some curly maple I was going to put in a table, or maybe some of the cherry scraps I have. Hmmm?

Gordon Eyre
06-17-2011, 3:14 PM
I showed your photos to SWMBO. She immediately placed an order for two Grandsons. I know what my next project will be. I have some curly maple I was going to put in a table, or maybe some of the cherry scraps I have. Hmmm?

You won't regret making this stool. Hope your grandsons enjoy it as much as my grandkids do.

gary Zimmel
06-17-2011, 8:36 PM
Great little keepsakes for the grandchildren Gordon. I'm sure they will be showing their friends the penny. Looks like they are kid proof and with the joinery hold up to anything they will throw it them.
Nice work again.

Dave Hasson
06-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Just an FYI for anyone interested. The original plan is from WoodSmith #111 and is also available on Plans Now. I just finished one also!! Nice work and I like the scaled down version.

http://www.pbase.com/blucrsr/image/135454198.jpg

Gordon Eyre
06-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Great little keepsakes for the grandchildren Gordon. I'm sure they will be showing their friends the penny. Looks like they are kid proof and with the joinery hold up to anything they will throw it them.
Nice work again.Hey Gary, thanks a bunch. Your right about the sturdiness of the stool, they will be around long after I am gone.

Just an FYI for anyone interested. The original plan is from WoodSmith #111 and is also available on Plans Now. I just finished one also!! Nice work and I like the scaled down version.

Thank you Dave that is for sure where I saw the plans for the stool. I think that for children my cut down version is much more practical.

Peter Harbin
06-18-2011, 9:56 PM
Nicely done Grandpa!

Nick Marmalejo
06-19-2011, 9:01 AM
Awesome-looking stool! Nice work!

Gordon Eyre
06-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Nicely done Grandpa!

Thank you very much Peter.

Awesome-looking stool! Nice work!

It was a fun build Nick, thanks.

Paul McGaha
06-19-2011, 8:09 PM
Beautiful piece Gordon.

You're grandaughter is lovely.

Giving something you made to someone you love is probably the best thing about the hobby. Extremely satisfying.

Well done grandpa.

PHM

Gordon Eyre
06-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Beautiful piece Gordon.

You're grandaughter is lovely.

Giving something you made to someone you love is probably the best thing about the hobby. Extremely satisfying.

Well done grandpa.

PHM

Thanks Paul, your post makes me a little nostalgic as I think back four years ago when London was just a baby. Here is a picture I took of her during a visit to our house:

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/75739486/original.jpg

Hopefully she, along with many of my other grandchildren and great grandchildren will remember me through some of the things I have made over the years. Perhaps it is fathers day that make these thoughts spring to mind. That and the fact that I am 77 in a few days.

Cody Colston
06-19-2011, 11:21 PM
What a wonderful gesture and a great looking stool. You did good Great-Grampa.

That great-granddaughter is absolutely precious. I know my biggest thrill these days is a hug from my 2 1/2 yo grandson. Grandkids are an old man's delight. :)

Gordon Eyre
06-20-2011, 10:19 AM
What a wonderful gesture and a great looking stool. You did good Great-Grampa.

That great-granddaughter is absolutely precious. I know my biggest thrill these days is a hug from my 2 1/2 yo grandson. Grandkids are an old man's delight. :)

Hi Cody, thanks for the nice comments. London is a keeper that's for sure.

Prashun Patel
06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
All 4 pix are perfect. Nice work.

Gordon Eyre
06-20-2011, 3:35 PM
All 4 pix are perfect. Nice work.

Thanks Prashun, photography is my "other" hobby and I have some major $$ tied up in that. I often think that I should sell a lens or two so that I could afford to get a good bandsaw.

John Thompson
06-25-2011, 1:33 PM
Nice job Gordon... sturdy indeed..

Bobby O'Neal
06-26-2011, 7:04 PM
Great pics of a great piece.

Gordon Eyre
06-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Nice job Gordon... sturdy indeed..

Thanks John, it certainly is made to last.

Great pics of a great piece.

Hey Bobbie, thanks a lot.