PDA

View Full Version : Elio Drive from One Good Turn-Langer Craft Works

Michael Ginsberg
06-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Tool Junkies...Has anyone ever tried the Elio Drive from One Good Turn- Langer Craft Works? It has two screws (pins) that can be adjusted to different depths for irregular shaped blanks. Seems like a great idea.

Jim Burr
06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
We had a review of this on our chapter website...CoC prevents me from providing a link, but if you look up the AAW chapter in Fresno, Ca you can get there!

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I saw one yesterday and in use. I will be ordering one as soon as I get home. It is pretty slick and can be used as faceplate. I am going to get just the 3.5".

Michael Ginsberg
06-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Bernie, I was thinking the same thing. Try it and please let me know how you like it.
Michael

John Keeton
06-16-2011, 12:03 PM
We had a review of this on our chapter website...CoC prevents me from providing a link, but if you look up the AAW chapter in Fresno, Ca you can get there!Jim, I don't see anything wrong with a link to a club website. The TOS states this -

"Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek."

Since your link would be for informative purposes, not for commercial benefit, and not to a commercial site, nor a forum, it would not appear to be inconsistent with the TOS.

Alec Moseley
06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
I have one of these and like it a lot, especially for starting a log or very uneven blank

Michael Ginsberg
06-17-2011, 3:00 PM
I just ordered the 3.5" model. I will let you all know how it works out.

Jon Murphy
11-16-2012, 3:05 AM
I'm a bit late on this thread, just discovered the Elio Drive in one of Langer's newsletters. I think I'll buy one, but my question is the size. My lathe is a 12" swing midi so my max log is a bit under that in practice. I also do a lot of smaller work, but most of that doesn't involve the uneven surface at the headstock that is the specialty of the Elio. Can I drive a 12" log at the natural edge with the 2" Elio, or should I go for the 2 1/2". Which is more generally practical for a midi lathe.

Best, Jon

Jerry Marcantel
11-16-2012, 8:53 AM
Jon, go to the Articles page, click on tools, and scroll down to "How to build a Chuck Plate", and build your own Chuck Plate. It's basically the same except it it used in a chuck instead of using it in your spindle taper. The advantage is you don't need to remove your chuck when roughing... If you do decide to make one, change your screw size to #12's, 1/4" or combine those with the Tapcon (the blue one for concrete) screws.... . I am always pushing my limits, called Product evaluation, and have bent or broken several of the smaller screws. I have started using the larger screws and haven't had any break yet......Jerry (in Tucson)

Reed Gray
11-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Well, I googled it and found it on You Tube. I will pass. I don't use spur drives. I have found it easier to use a forstner bit on the drill press, set the depth stop, and drill out a flat space. Then attach a face plate or drill a larger recess for expanding dove tailed jaws into. Looks like it works fine though.

robo hippy

Michael Mills
11-16-2012, 2:11 PM
I think I will have to go with robo on this one. My main concern is turning large items with an MT. At least per Grumbine (he uses a large spur in a chuck) if the item comes loose at all it can really bugger up your MT in the headstock, makes sense to me.
I even purchased a 3” faceplate to make a drive and haven’t gotten around to it. My points would be fixed and I would also flatten the bearing side of the points once installed.
I currently use the Pin jaws on an SN2 for under 12” (just drill a 1” hole at least 1” deep and slide the jaws in and expand) or use a forstner bit and faceplate for larger. I do realize these methods do not allow you to adjust your “center” as you turn the item.