PDA

View Full Version : Banksia Pod and maple lidded box... or hollow form?

Rick Markham
06-16-2011, 2:00 AM
So this is my third hollow form. Banksia pod with maple burl neck and foot, inlayed with turquoise. This is my first lidded form, also my first experience with inlaying crushed turquoise. I haven't decided if I like it as an amphora, or as a lidded box. (Good thing a cap can be on or off :p)

I saw a photo where someone had inlayed turquoise in banksia pod, and I wanted one. (This one is MINE :D) I don't keep much of my work, so I'm excited to keep this one. As always Critique and Criticism is welcome and appreciated.

somewhere less than 1/8" thick, 4 1/2" high (without the lid), 5 1/3" high (with the lid), 2" diameter at the shoulder. finish is CA, with 2 coats of WOP, buffed, and waxed with Ren wax.

Not sure I intend to do anymore turquoise inlay, I think I will make one of these minus the inlay. I love the contrast, but I think I would like the holes more IMHO, it's just more "my thing". (beauty is in the imperfections ;))

I hope you enjoy! Thank you for looking!

With lid...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0234.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0233.jpg

Without...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0215.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0212.jpg

Tim Thiebaut
06-16-2011, 3:47 AM
Very nice Rick, that has a nice form to it, and the turquoise adds a nice touch. How did you keep the turquoise from just falling into the form? I read somewhere, dont remember where, this person blows up a ballon on the inside of their banksia pods, fills the seed holes with whatever material they want to use...once it sets up they pop the ballon and take it out, sounds like a good idea, is this what you did? I turned my first pod a few weeks ago for a xmas ornament, will post it soon.

Rick Markham
06-16-2011, 4:03 AM
Tim, I turned the outside to shape, overfilled all the holes with turquoise and thin CA glue, sanded it to finish and then turned the inside. I never considered the balloon trick... I'd be afraid that the balloon would be permanently glued inside (that would be my luck) might be worth a try though. uh yeah, hollowing turquoise stone, hardened CA glue, and rock hard banksia wasn't particularly fun... lots and lots and lots of sharpening. I'm just glad I somehow managed not to glue myself to myself or something else LOL so in that respect it was successful.

John Keeton
06-16-2011, 6:37 AM
Rick, this is really a very neat piece - lots of contrast, and an excellent idea. Hard to choose, but I think I like it better without the lid.

Michelle Rich
06-16-2011, 6:46 AM
interesting concept..I like best with no lid, but with lid, something tickles my brain & egyptian popped into my mind. Hmmm...See thru would be OK too..I've seen Cindy D's open pods & they look good that way too.

Tim Rinehart
06-16-2011, 7:57 AM
Rick,
Nice shape to this form, and as others said, go lidless. I prefer not filling the holes in these personally, they have a unique character that gets masked when the holes are filled. If you decide to fill them again, you may want to try filling the holes with some filler (shavings, etc) down to about depth you want final thickness, then put in your crushed stone to keep from wasting too much stone.
Great work on keeping the eyes intact and the finish looks flawless.
Nicely done!

Jim Burr
06-16-2011, 9:16 AM
I'd say it could make a fine martini! I'm not sold on the turquoise, maybe some red coral? Over all...a fine job!

Tim Thiebaut
06-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Rick,
If you decide to fill them again, you may want to try filling the holes with some filler (shavings, etc) down to about depth you want final thickness, then put in your crushed stone to keep from wasting too much stone.
Great work on keeping the eyes intact and the finish looks flawless.
Nicely done!

That is a great tip, will keep that in mind for when I try something like this.

Steve Schlumpf
06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I like the contrast! Amazing how much the overall look changes when using the cap/lid or not! I like it each way but tend to go with the cap on version just because it is so different! I agree with Michelle - cap on gives it an Egyptian flavor!

Scott Hackler
06-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Really cool. I much prefer the no lid option.

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Rick that is a nice piece. Love the contrast of maple and banksia pod. I really like the form and do like it both ways but the lid I really like more. The turquoise inlay really sets that piece off. Well done.

Dick Wilson
06-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Rick, I never thought about filling the seed holes. Great idea and a very stricking piece. Top or no top works great.

Alan Trout
06-16-2011, 2:22 PM
Rick,

Great work. Good form and the lid does make it look kind of like a martini shaker. I have cast these before but I hate the fuzz that comes off of the pod as it is very itchy to me so I avoid messing with them.

Alan

James Combs
06-16-2011, 2:36 PM
Some really nice work Rick. You just gave me an Idea for a pod like thingy that I have had lying around for awhile.

Rick Markham
06-16-2011, 3:26 PM
Thanks guys (and or gals, as the case may be)! Tim, I will give the shavings a try if I ever do this again. Red coral might have been a good choice. I personally think the open holes would have been the best.

Shaken not stirred, it reminds me of a martini shaker too. I also see the egyptian flair. I see the group as a whole is torn between lid on or lid off. (uh oh, John K and Steve S, have opposing opinions regarding the lid :eek:) I think I prefer it without myself, though I am torn between the two. Since it's mine, I guess I can put on, or take off the lid as "the mood" suits me LOL

Alan, the fuzz is a little strange, i guess I'm not sensitive to it (thankfully) I don't really want to have another wood allergy LOL I can't say I blame you for steering clear of them if your sensitive to it.

James, give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised what you come up with :)