PDA

View Full Version : "Put a little light on the subject"

Roger Chandler
06-15-2011, 9:55 PM
Could not resist a second trip to the WoodCraft Store on the way out of town from the conference I attended for the last few days.............

Pic 1 is the magnifying lamp I got today, 198115

Pic 2 is a piece of claro walnut that will most likely be a HF in the future.......

198116 pic 3 is a swing arm lamp I put in place a couple weeks ago....

You can't have too much light, especially when trying to do fine detail work............thanks to John Keeton for the idea on this....[magnifying lamp].......I saw his posted and I liked the idea..........had a chance to make it happen today for my setup.

I also have overhead a shop light [48"] with daylight florescent tubes.

Chris Colman
06-15-2011, 10:07 PM
I have one of those magnifying lights. I do not use it. I tried it but found it kind of cumbersome and difficult to work around.

I prefer to use bifocal safety glasses.

For lighting I use a cheapie incandencent magnetic spotlamp to suppliment my florescent shop lighting.

John Keeton
06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Roger, you are going to enjoy that lighted magnifier!! I wear 3.0 diopter full lens magnification safety glasses, and the 5x magnifier to do finials - makes a huge difference for me. Nice chunk of Claro, too. Of course, I have never seen a bad chunk of Claro!;):D

Steve Schlumpf
06-16-2011, 12:09 AM
I have one of those magnifier lamps and they work well! Looking forward to seeing your Walnut hollow form!

Roger Chandler
06-16-2011, 6:52 AM
Steve & JK............

I am hoping I will like this..........I don't know why I would not..........I think it will be a matter of getting it mounted correctly so as to be able to utilize it when needed, and out of the way when not needed............should work fine. Thanks for your input.........any tips on how you mounted your magnifying light? Pics would be good.....:)

John Keeton
06-16-2011, 7:03 AM
Roger, I have both of my lights on a 2x4 "bar" that was originally installed like this -
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=190057&d=1301877418

But, I have moved the bar up to about 5.5'. It is perfect for the lighted magnifier, but the task light just doesn't have enough "flex" for me to put it where I want it. I think it is more of a need for a gooseneck light than location.

Roger Chandler
06-16-2011, 9:52 AM
Thanks John.........your 2x4 mount is something I was thinking I would have to do something similar with.........I will have to play with positioning ..............appreciate the pic!

Roger Chandler
06-16-2011, 1:07 PM
I just came back to the thread to take another look at John's set up with the lighting..............it also struck me that this picture shows what our "Chief of Shop Police" :D {that one was for you DD! ;)} does when not turning........notice the broom, dustpan and well you see the clean floor and immaculately kept lathe...........:D

I guess I could be at least considered part of the shop police force..........mine is not quite as clean as John's..........well maybe the white of the Jet just shows better than my Grizzly green!

Nice lookin' setup there Sheriff!!! ;):D:D

Jamie Donaldson
06-16-2011, 1:49 PM
That magnifier/light also works very well over my grinder, and the magnifier really helps me see what the ol' eyes can't see alone!