PDA

View Full Version : How would you make this?

Cliff Newton
02-11-2005, 9:40 AM
I was surfing the net for ideas and found this chess board. I'm trying to figure out how they made it.

Donnie Raines
02-11-2005, 9:48 AM
Not sure....but...

If you have ever made a Cabriole leg, the therory might be the same. The "base" curve could be cut on the band saw, then the waste taped back on and the other curve cut to make it look like it rises and dish's at the same time. The checker board effect could be made the same way, only after cutting some of the squares to a thicker demension. Take it to the table saw(most likely the band saw) and cut to width.

Maybe..... :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-11-2005, 9:50 AM
If I were to make it, I would make the Chess board with the staggering square hieghts first. Then I would glue on a thin slice of veneer to make the outer curves.

Doug Shepard
02-11-2005, 10:07 AM
If I were to make it, I would make the Chess board with the staggering square hieghts first. Then I would glue on a thin slice of veneer to make the outer curves.
That was my first thought too. But looking hard at the top edge of the curve, I'm thinking it's not just glued to the surface?? I'm thinking maybe it's something a bit thicker then let into the sides slightly with template routing??

Cliff Newton
02-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Jeff, this is what I was thinking. It seems like the least amount of work.

Rick Castrios
02-11-2005, 10:15 AM
I agree with the veneer theory. It does not look like there is any endgrain on any of the sides of the base.

Rick

Chris DeHut
02-11-2005, 10:17 AM
It is a great design and very eye catching. Due to the complexity of the curves and the matching curves needed on the bases of the blocks, I have to reduce the concept down to an illusion.

It looks very much to me like 1/16" ~ 1/8" Veneer applied to the sides of the assembled pieces to give the illusion of mating parts (blocks on a curved surface).

With a CNC machine and some 3D CAM software, this type of machining would be rather simple to do but would still require a lot of hand fitting and finishing.

Very cool design.

Chris

Sam Blasco
02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Definitely veneer over blocks, and the pieces look store bought. Could have been slicker, maybe if the veneer had been inlaid into the blocks to make the optical delusion stronger. Very eye-catching design, an excellent jumping off point from a design perspective.

Chad Pater
02-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Very nice. I would agree with the veneer opinion....see how the edge maple doesn't match the block maple color very well...if you could slice your own veneer it would match and look even better.

Donnie Raines
02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I see end grain on the block s near the front of the picture. The growth rings are visable on both the walnut and the maple. If you look at the caseing jointery, it appears to be a lock joint or rabbet of some type(with the end grain exposed).

Byron Trantham
02-11-2005, 11:25 AM
All I can say is WOW!