PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet vs Card Scrapers

John Coloccia
06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Are they the same? Different? What say you?

Chris Fournier
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
They are when I respond to Prashun's thread! I've understood card scraper to be the handheld cutting tool with no body. Is the cabinet scraper the same as a scraper plane? Hmmmm.

Zahid Naqvi
06-15-2011, 11:23 AM
you can argue both ways, choice 1 and 2. Basically the cutting element in both is the same, just that a cabinet scraper adds a holding mechanism. Sometimes the terms are used interchangeably.

Chris Fournier
06-15-2011, 11:55 AM
If the terms cabinet and card scraper can be used interchangably can we then call a chisel a plane iron and a plane iron a chisel? Pretty heady stuff!

Frank Drew
06-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Different tools to achieve the same end. I used card scrapers a lot and I bought an old cabinet scraper mostly because it has a lovely rosewood handle but I never became very skilled at using it, or, more like it, never spent the time to get it working correctly.

I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but my tool (a cabinet scraper?) had a single turned handle running across the width of the tool, but a scraping plane (?) has a somewhat longer sole and two handles (one front, one back) like smoother and up bench planes.

Jim Koepke
06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
My old hunk of saw blade gets pulled out occasionally. It does the job.

jtk

lowell holmes
06-15-2011, 12:35 PM
If you sharpen the cabinet scraper in accordance with the Charlesworth article in Popwood last year, the difference will be profoundly obvious. :)

Jim Rimmer
06-15-2011, 1:10 PM
My vote made it a 3 way tie.

Alan Schwabacher
06-15-2011, 1:39 PM
There are two quite different tools that are called cabinet scrapers. One of these is also, more specifically, called a card scraper. Since the other doesn't have a more specific name, I prefer not to call a card scraper a cabinet scraper. Of course, if you start at the card scraper, go to the cabinet scraper and keep going, you will get to the scraper plane.

Andrew Yang
06-15-2011, 2:32 PM
If the terms cabinet and card scraper can be used interchangably can we then call a chisel a plane iron and a plane iron a chisel? Pretty heady stuff!

I like it! I'm surprised someone hasn't been cheeky enough to pick the belt sander yet...

glenn bradley
06-15-2011, 7:22 PM
I call them card scrapers (the ones that don't have training wheels . . . OK just kidding about that . . . no wait; don't get mad, it was a joke) I have often looked at scraper planes in their "plane" body format and the wing-handled versions. Both tools are wonderful to use but, I have only played with the handled ones. The plain old cards work great for me.