PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Safety is Highlighted in Business Week Magazine

Paul Wunder
06-15-2011, 9:36 AM
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_25/b4233032712156.htm?chan=magazine+channel_news+-+politics+%2B+policy

This week's Business Week magazine has a major article on the table saw safety debate and mentions that the Consumer Product Safety Commission will take up the idea that the government should legislate additional safety devices such as the Sawstop cartridge. I have linked the article without further comment.

Paul

Dan Hintz
06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Its founder, Stephen Gass, an inventor and—importantly—a patent lawyer, likes to demonstrate his product by pushing a hot dog into a whirring blade. The weenie comes away with barely a scratch.
I found this grammer ambiguity somewhat amusing... the ambiguity obviously being Mr. Gass being the possible weenie ;) :p

Callan Campbell
06-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I found this grammer ambiguity somewhat amusing... the ambiguity obviously being Mr. Gass being the possible weenie ;) :p Yes, there REALLY was alot to read into that one sentence for how they worded it.........

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Folks,

I will remind everyone that this website it viewable by people of all age. We cannot control the viewers....we can control what is posted here. Please show a little self discipline and stop the slightly off colored references.

They are not apprpriate at this website.

Joe Angrisani
06-15-2011, 1:22 PM
I just want to know what safety guards Chris Hackler removed from the saw before dimensioning his fingers. How exactly are your fingers "yanked into the spinning blade" when using proper technique, push sticks and safety guards? I don't understand how a jammed piece of wood yanks anything. Might cause a kickback, but that won't yank any fingers toward the blade.

glenn bradley
06-15-2011, 7:28 PM
Heh-heh. I find it interesting that one of the complaints is that Mr. Gass has apparently come up with the ONLY decent way to do this sort of thing. Where would the aerospace, automotive or computing industries be if they all thought the first workable good idea was the last?