PDA

View Full Version : Another odd question, steel to concrete sealing?

Larry Edgerton
06-15-2011, 7:12 AM
Ok, this is my week for odd problems.

I have to build an elevator shaft on a house that is built on steel pilings. This shaft goes in a corner with a wood basement wall on one side and steel pilings on the other. The steel to cement junction has me stumped, and the architect has not gotten back to me. I don't want a leak in an elevator shaft.

So...If anyone has had to do this, lets hear it...

Larry

Marty Paulus
06-15-2011, 9:04 AM
Larry, I would use a 3M product called 5200. It is a below the waterline marine adhesive sealer. A tube runs about $6-7 at the orange borg. It takes a week to fully cure but you will never have to worry about it again!
Marty

Stephen Cherry
06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
One more vote for 5200. Strong stuff with some flexibility.

Larry Edgerton
06-15-2011, 7:44 PM
Thanks gentlemen.......

Larry

Rob Fisher
06-15-2011, 10:07 PM
As an architect I think that sealants are one of the most confusing and difficult things to get right. I don't have experience with 5200, but after reading a little bit, it seems like pretty good stuff. I am not sure if it will work with concrete. There is not mention of concrete in the technical literature http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtlx&EO8TVEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

It is designed to work on wood, fiberglass and metal joints in a marine environment. But being that it is a polyurethane product it can probably stick to almost anything if the substrate is prepared correctly. Also technical literature says a metal primer may be required.