PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1020 15" Planer questions

Ed Barnes
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
A local school is having an auction soon, of some surplus equipment. One of the items listed is a Grizzly G1020 15" Planer. I have not been able to visually inspect the planer yet. Has anyone had experience with this machine? Is this 220V? What might be the approximate age of this model and what might be a reasonable price for it.

TIA, Ed

david brum
06-15-2011, 12:34 AM
The Grizzly owners manual archive shows the G1021. If the one you're looking at is similar, It looks like a classic Taiwanese generic 15" planer from the '80s. I have one that looks identical. It's a workhorse. It is definitely 220V with a 2hp motor. I paid around $400 for mine. I had to replace a few bearings and replace some belts, so I felt the price was fair. Unless somebody has already done it, you should expect to do some similar maintenance to get it up and running. Grizzly recently closed out similar planers for around $800 new.

Aside from fit and finish, the main difference between older 15" planers and newer is the motor placement. The older planers work great and parts availability is good because so many were manufactured.

Ed Barnes
06-15-2011, 8:00 AM
David, thanks so much for your input. I'll definitely try to make it to this sale.

Richard Galloway
06-15-2011, 8:56 AM
I concur with David, good machine if a bit rough around the edges. Yes, 220 and Heavy. Make sure you have some extra help to load and unload this thing. I have had to replace the gear/ pin and adjustment bar that changes the height of cut, but other than that, mine is great.