PDA

View Full Version : Sander

Jack Burgess
06-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Would like information on a sander that is quite and easy to use. I have worn out a small belt sander. Would like to know if there is an economical sander that is very quite.

Jack

Callan Campbell
06-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Jack, I'm assuming you meant quiet, as in, a quiet tool/machine. I've owned two different 1x 42" belt sanders, first one was a Grizzly that has been superceded by their current 1 x 42" machine. Cheap, but fussy on belt tracking and had plastic wheels. Noisier than my current Jet, but not bad for the price I had paid at the time. My Jet, was way more than the Grizzly in cost, is quieter, and tracks dead-on, even if I don't use the machine for months, then start it back up. Belt changes take little time, and there is dust collection port at the side of the belt to work with my vacuum if I need to have it hooked up. The wheel are smooth metal, with ample sized bearings inside of them.
I wish you could stroll in a store and try several machines to compare them, esp for noise level, but these little sanders never seem to be on display anywhere as their larger cousins take center stage for store shelf and floor display space most of the time.
Were you looking for a 1x 30", or a 1x 42" machine, or a larger belt size than those two?