PDA

View Full Version : INitial impressions of the Biesimeyer Home Edition Fence

Tim Morton
02-10-2005, 11:08 PM
I am installing my new fence tonight. I went with the 40" Home edition as it was cheaper than the 30" commercial edition. I am waiting on the shipment of the biesmeyer table to arrive. I ordered the "old style" table from the Bies website close out special. Its 27x32 and I believe it was $64 bucks. I asked about warpage and was told that the new style tables are warping because of a design change to make it fit more tables. He assured me the old style had much more support and would not be warped, so I ordered it. However if it does not arrive soon i will build my own. Back to the fence.

The first thing that surprised me was that i was expecting the actual fence to be the same as the commercial only 36" instead of 42...I was surprised to see that it is also not as "high" either. I'm guessing its as much as 3/4 to an inch. It sits at 2" high...I believe the commercial fence is higher?

Install was a snap, although i bought the "delta" edition and the instructions point to a third bolt that was supposed to bolt to the extension wings both front and back...not bolt and no bolt hole on the rail. I'm sure once i get it installed i could drill one with no problem...it seems to make sense to have it locked into the extension table too?

No mounting bracket was supplied for the power switch...this was pointed out in the manual, I will work around that ...looks like an easy bracket to find in the hardware store. I think they should throw that in...but no biggie.

Last comment is the main mounting bolts are way to easy to strip..I stripped one on the back and will be going to the hardware store to replace the main bolts with better ones. Again I think they should throw in the best bolts possible IMO.

However...even though I can't use it till I get the table installed...it is SWEET!!!!!! :D

Most important...no major surprises and i think I actually prefer the smaller home fence, as in reality I find the commercial fence to be a bit heavy handed..I think this one will be easier to work with.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...I will post pics once the table arrives.

Norman Hitt
02-11-2005, 2:47 AM
I am installing my new fence tonight. I went with the 40"

Install was a snap, although I bought the "delta" edition and the instructions point to a third bolt that was supposed to bolt to the extension wings both front and back...not bolt and no bolt hole on the rail. I'm sure once i get it installed i could drill one with no problem...it seems to make sense to have it locked into the extension table too?

Tim, you definitely want to place bolts through to lock the table in place, (I would suggest 3 at both front and back. One about 3" from each end of the ext table and one in the middle) so it "Rides Properly" on the table, especially at the rear of the saw/table.

I have the 52" commercial, so I used 4 bolts at both the front and rear to lock it in place and eliminate Any future Sag or Swell along the sides.
Seems like my Commercial is about 3 1/2 " tall, (would have to measure), and I do like the taller model (although heavier, it hasn't been a problem), as it gives more support to "Jigs", but I'm sure yours will work well also.

Tim Morton
02-11-2005, 6:48 AM
Tim, you definitely want to place bolts through to lock the table in place, (I would suggest 3 at both front and back. One about 3" from each end of the ext table and one in the middle) so it "Rides Properly" on the table, especially at the rear of the saw/table
I was talking about not having a large bolt or large bolt hole to lock in the "left "hand cast iron wing. I have a couple small holes for the left side. And all the holes drilled for the right side table. I wasn't clear enough in my intitial explanation.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-11-2005, 7:55 AM
Thanks for the review, I have looked at this fence in the past..... Any chance of getting some pics of your set up?

RichMagnone
02-11-2005, 12:17 PM
what is the difference between the commercial and home fence?

Tim Morton
02-11-2005, 1:04 PM
what is the difference between the commercial and home fence?

The "home" fence seems to be a "lite" version of the commercial fence. Kind oa a "mini-me". But it is VERY robust...just that the rails are little less beefy, and the fence itself is smaller.

Bob Johnson2
02-11-2005, 2:49 PM
I just got done putting the 52" Commercial on my CS and didn't have any holes to both the Iron wing to the wood table, did I miss something? Nothing in the instructions either. While were talking fences, what do folks do to attach temp sides to the fence for close in work?

Norman Hitt
02-11-2005, 6:11 PM
I just got done putting the 52" Commercial on my CS and didn't have any holes to both the Iron wing to the wood table, did I miss something? Nothing in the instructions either. While were talking fences, what do folks do to attach temp sides to the fence for close in work?

Bob, you will have to drill (normal procedure) 3 holes in the end of the CI extension wing and 3 matching holes in the extension table, (CI drills easily, just be careful as you get close to Drilling "Through", as the bit will try to grab, and might break out a small chunk). Drill a small hole first, then a larger hole to fit the bolt. To make it easy to get the ext table "Even/level" with the top surface of the Ext wing, set and tighten the "center bolt first", then you can either push down or pull up each edge of the ext table to get it even and tighten.

There are several ways to attach temp fences, from just clamping a fence on, (if the clamp won't hinder the operation, to making a clamping jig that slips down over the fence and from the end, it looks like a small letter h, to placing two or three "huck nuts" in the top of the fence to attach jigs with a bolt.

Norman Hitt
02-11-2005, 6:40 PM
I was talking about not having a large bolt or large bolt hole to lock in the "left "hand cast iron wing. I have a couple small holes for the left side. And all the holes drilled for the right side table. I wasn't clear enough in my intitial explanation.

Heck Tim, I just misread it, but just for your information, I checked mine (52" Commercial) on the PM-66, and it has two of the counter sunk machine bolts into the left CI wing, 4 into the main saw table, 2 into the right CI ext wing, and 6, (not 4 as I previously posted) in the extension table. Since mine was made at the time for use on more than one type of saw, there were also 4 holes lower on the angle iron that were not used. All holes though were for the same size countersunk machine bolt, (1/4" I think).

I also measured my fence, and it was 2 1/2" tall x 4" wide x 42" long. (I would have sworn that fence was taller than that, but it's just right. Dern these Trifocals.) The angle iron for mounting the Rail, was made from 3/8" angle, is yours the same, or different?

Bob Johnson2
02-11-2005, 8:05 PM
Thanks Norm, and here I thought I had finished.

Tim Morton
02-11-2005, 9:21 PM
I also measured my fence, and it was 2 1/2" tall x 4" wide x 42" long. (I would have sworn that fence was taller than that, but it's just right. Dern these Trifocals.) The angle iron for mounting the Rail, was made from 3/8" angle, is yours the same, or different?

I don't think my angle iron is a full 3/8" but its plenty thick enough. I was comparing the install manual of the commercial to the home version and I see that jig measurement for the home is 2 3/16" compared to 2 17/32" for the commercial, so the actual angle iron of the commercial is almost a 1/2 wider. But I think the home version is plenty rugged...no complaints there. No real complaints at all with the fence. All in all i think it is almost as well made as the commercial version. Cost is similar...I think I got 10 more inches to the right, and saved $15 bucks over the 30" commercial.

Tim Morton
02-11-2005, 10:11 PM
as a somewhat related side note....I am building the extension table and I was not wanting to spend $50 bucks for the adjustable legs biesemeyer sells. Seaching through the hardware store to find some kind of adjustable legs and came across a 3/4" gas pipe(30 inches long) that was threaded on both ends. I bought that, along with a 3/4" to 1" threaded coupler to be used for the "feet" and they also had a screw on top plate that had 4 screw holes to mount it to the table. All very heavy duty and cost less than $15 bucks. IAC's :D

Jim Weisbo
01-30-2015, 9:42 AM
I am new to this site so not sure if this post is too old to ask a question. Got an old Delta Unisaw (right tilt) with a 52 inch Unifence. Although it is locks perpendicular to table and parallel to blade, it doesn't slide easily from the extension table to surface of saw or even across the surface of the saw ... the nylon glide is catching on the surfaces (I already adjusted fence so bottom is 1/16 inch of top of table). Everything is nice and clean and I believe I have proper adjustment of the fence. Based on comments I read above, perhaps the Biesemeyer is for me ... I am assuming it glides easily from side to side when the locking lever is released? Can I add the Biesemeyer "T body" fence without getting the new front Biesemeyer rail(s)? Also want to change the original magnetic off/on switch to one that has a paddle and relocate to front of saw (want to be able to hit the off button with my knee). Anyone know where I can get either enough parts to rework my existing switch box or a replacement.

I am guessing due to popularity of Unisaw many people have already done upgrades I am interested in ... would like to go to school on their experience.

Harold Weaver
01-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Jim,
Not sure if I understood you correct about "adding" the Biesemeyer rails, but the Biesemeyer T Square fence would not be compatible with Unifence rails you say you currently have. You would need the rails or get the proper raw steel and make your own. The Vega Pro model fences are outstanding fences for the price. You may look into that as well. The Unifence is supposed to be a very good fence. Maybe someone with more experience with the Unifence will chime in and offer some assistance in getting your current fence dialed in.

Dick Brown
01-30-2015, 11:47 AM
This is a very old thread but interesting subject. As near as I can find, the Home Shop fence is not available from Delta. My guess is when they bought Biesemeyer they dis-continued it as it would be in competition with the T-2. I have had both and the choice would have been a no brainer as the H-S is way the better fence even for the higher price that they sold for. I thought enough of the H-S that I built a clone for my C-Man saw as well as several "for sale" saws. I put an angle iron rail across the back of the saws to support the right table extension and put a block of UHMW on the fence to ride on that rather than on the saw top. Also put adjusters on the front of the fence "T" to keep it straight when moving it as some of the Grizzly and I think Saw Stop have. I have a commercial Biesemeyer on my big saw and love it but is a bit of over kill for contractor saws IMHO. As mentioned in another post, The Vega deserves a long look also. Nicest moving fence I ever was around was a Shop Fox original with the wheels both ends and a few other neat features but had it's down side also like conflict with motor on C-man when tilted to 45 deg., had to go off over the end to remove fence, etc.

Jim Weisbo
01-30-2015, 1:01 PM
This is a very old thread but interesting subject. As near as I can find, the Home Shop fence is not available from Delta. My guess is when they bought Biesemeyer they dis-continued it as it would be in competition with the T-2. I have had both and the choice would have been a no brainer as the H-S is way the better fence even for the higher price that they sold for. I thought enough of the H-S that I built a clone for my C-Man saw as well as several "for sale" saws. I put an angle iron rail across the back of the saws to support the right table extension and put a block of UHMW on the fence to ride on that rather than on the saw top. Also put adjusters on the front of the fence "T" to keep it straight when moving it as some of the Grizzly and I think Saw Stop have. I have a commercial Biesemeyer on my big saw and love it but is a bit of over kill for contractor saws IMHO. As mentioned in another post, The Vega deserves a long look also. Nicest moving fence I ever was around was a Shop Fox original with the wheels both ends and a few other neat features but had it's down side also like conflict with motor on C-man when tilted to 45 deg., had to go off over the end to remove fence, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts .... I just went thru 10 pages of Google search engine results and can't find a "Home Shop" fence. Found Jet's "Xacta" fence II system at CPO tools. Were you referring to Jet or some other manufacturer?

In the case of the Unifence I have, the fence contacts the saw at 5 points. Two along front of rail (adjust perpendicularity to miter gage slots), two on top of rail (adjust perpendicularity to top of table) and the fifth is the nylon glide which slides along the table top - kinda near the back of blade. I will look and see if I can replace the nylon glide with UHMW either in same spot or see if I can find some spot along back of tables for it to work against (as you suggest) until I decide on a new fence. My Unisaw is equipped with the factory over arm blade guard and can't recall whether there is a solid piece of angle iron the runs across the table top and extension table. Thanks again for feedback/suggestions.

Dick Brown
01-30-2015, 5:27 PM
Sorry I didn't make it more clear. The H-S was Biesemeyer Home Shop. It had 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 inch tube for fence and rail rather than the 2"x3" tube of the commercial Biesemeyer.

Dick Brown
01-30-2015, 5:32 PM
http://toolmonger.com/2006/07/09/biesemeyers-home-shop-fence-systems/

This link seems to be about all I can find on the H-S (Home shop by Biesemeyer)