PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Jig

Greg Hines, MD
06-14-2011, 8:42 PM
I have found myself with some extra cash on Amazon, and am in the market for a dovetail jig. I have looked at the Porter Cable, and the Leigh jigs. I guess I am drawn to Leigh just because it it the kind that Norm always used, but would the PC better? I would love to hear from the owners of both. I particularly like being able to space the joints individually like the Leigh can do.

Thanks in advance.

Curt Putnam
06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
IMO, just go for the Leigh. Is there any other jig that can do something that the Leigh cannot do? To my knowledge, there are no jigs that are more flexible or more accurate. I don't think any have more capability. Others are cheaper for a reason.

Mark Valsi
06-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Check the AKEDA, very easy to use !!

Vijay Kumar
06-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Check the AKEDA, very easy to use !!
Sorry to say that the Akeda as not been available for a about a year and no promise of future availability.

Vijay

Greg Hines, MD
06-15-2011, 9:38 AM
Any views on the various Leigh jigs? I am leaning towards this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B0XM30/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A19VW1BL9ZXZVA

It appears to have all the versatility that I could ever use. I cannot imagine needing over 18" width, so don't think that the 24" model is needed.

Doc

Charles Lent
06-15-2011, 9:46 AM
You should get the 24".
When making boxes up to 12" high the 24" jig will let you set up for both the right and left end cuts at the same time. I debated this, and finally went with the D4R Pro and I'm very happy that I did. Being able to set up for both ends at the same time makes a huge difference in production, even if your production run is just a few boxes, or drawers.

Charley

Prashun Patel
06-15-2011, 9:59 AM
Most blanket/toy chests will exceed 18". I think you'll appreciate the 24" flexibility down the line. Further, if you determine you want to resell this, I believe the 24" will be a hotter commodity.

jonathan eagle
06-15-2011, 6:17 PM
Greg,
For drawers, you don't need a wide jig. If you don't need variable spacing, then just get the PC4212. I had a predesessor and now the leigh D4. It's a lot more complex to deal with. It was all the rage when Ibought it, but there with certianly defects in it. With wide joints, you really have to make sure it doesn't move in the jig. They fixed this in the D4R. I'm actually thinking of getting a pc4212 myself , going full circle. The setup is just a lot easier for those of us who use a dovetail jig once a year. For the price, getting into dovetail jigs, it's a better solution.
Jonathan

Greg Hines, MD
06-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Interesting discussion. If I am understanding the differences, besides price, the main difference between the one that I referenced above and the D4R is the ability to vary the widths of the individual pins and tails? And this would be beyond simply skipping one or two, or doubling them up on the other jig. I guess it would be nice to be able to do that, but am not sure that I ever would. Same thing for the 18" vs 24". I am planning on mostly making boxes and drawers, not sure how much I need the 24" width.

jonathan eagle
06-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Interesting discussion. If I am understanding the differences, besides price, the main difference between the one that I referenced above and the D4R is the ability to vary the widths of the individual pins and tails? And this would be beyond simply skipping one or two, or doubling them up on the other jig. I guess it would be nice to be able to do that, but am not sure that I ever would. Same thing for the 18" vs 24". I am planning on mostly making boxes and drawers, not sure how much I need the 24" width.

Greg,
Ease of use is the biggest one for me. Unless you are doing them often, the Leigh takes more re-learning time each time you use it.
I had the pc4111 or something like that. It couldn't do thru dovetails. The pc4212 can with an extra template, I think.
Jonathan

Will Blick
06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
leigh web site has a link called comprison, check it out, good matrix of features of all their jigs..

Tom Horton
06-17-2011, 6:50 AM
I have a PC jig. Correction: I HAD a PC jig. When my bit started to get loose, and I didn't realize it, I ruined the jig, and the bit. Plus, it was only 12" wide, and I had to make 12 drawers..... it was a tremendous amount of time spent on setting, re-setting, then re-setting......... It was only after getting the 24" Leigh jig, that I realized I could have saved at least half the time. And, it helps to make sure the bit is still in place after each run. Very important. My PC jig ended up in the trash, after having an unfortunate encounter with a concrete floor and an anvil.