PDA

View Full Version : Engraved bricks in the news

Scott Shepherd
06-14-2011, 7:04 PM
Anyone else see this article....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/14/california-school-district-cancels-fundraiser-after-submission-scripture/

I'm not posting it for a debate on the article, but rather as an example of how to market these bricks. Note the price that they were sold at. You can imagine if you got $20 each for them, you'd do very well, and the school was doing even better.

No need to lowball on these things!

Frank Corker
06-14-2011, 8:19 PM
Personally I think that for this sort of thing, the writing is on the wall.

Tom Bull
06-16-2011, 3:12 PM
Frank, that is good for mene, mene laughs.

Mark Conde
06-16-2011, 11:38 PM
I saw the same news clip on the TV. When I first saw the vid I said hey, I can do that" Good article. What a great fundraiser.

Mark Ross
06-17-2011, 2:45 PM
Okay, after reading the one thread about the foam...i gotta...

You CANT do that...there are patents on it...lulz... not making it up...lulz...

Chuck Stone
06-17-2011, 2:48 PM
on a related note, I just filed a patent for stacking bricks with stuff in between them.
I'm thinking maybe mortar or cement, not sure yet. Surprised nobody thought of it yet.
I'm gonna go back to New York and sue everyone who lives indoors.

Michael Hunter
06-17-2011, 3:19 PM
I heard somewhere that either Synrad or Coherent have patents on lasering wood and plastic. If you buy their laser tubes, then you sort of "inherit" a licence to process the materials.
So anyone with a Chinese laser should watch out!

I suspect that the people working at the patents office got through school doing drama (or on a football scholarship) and have never seen inside a science lab, factory or workshop in their lives.

Martin Boekers
06-17-2011, 4:10 PM
OK, if anyone here has never searched SMC for patents of any kind..... Bricks, Marking
Solutions, Color Engraving. Please do. You will find many, ahem... heated discusions on
such, same with copyrights.

Maybe it ought to be in the TOS that before you can post you have to read the
discussions on these. :D

We go through this every couple months. Scott knows! he even addressed it as such. (good man!)

I have fiddled with bricks years ago and never found consitancy and short enough times
to deleve into this end of the business. One such companies guarentees replacements
for life! :eek:

If I get a call for such I do granite pavers quicker and easier!

Oh and yes there is even a patent on laser engraving cigars! :D

Mark Ross
06-20-2011, 8:38 AM
I have just patented an oxygenation transfer system whereby oxygen is fed into various bloodstreams and waste gas is expelled. Everyone pay up or hold yer breath! I think somewhere on here there is a thread, sandblasting still seems to be the way to go on this if you are going to use bricks. Deeper penetration into the brick and much shorter time per piece. I am wondering how long that black color fill actually lasts and what it is composed of to take the abuse of weather and UV etc.

Belinda Barfield
06-20-2011, 8:41 AM
I have just patented an oxygenation transfer system whereby oxygen is fed into various bloodstreams and waste gas is expelled. Everyone pay up or hold yer breath! I think somewhere on here there is a thread, sandblasting still seems to be the way to go on this if you are going to use bricks. Deeper penetration into the brick and much shorter time per piece. I am wondering how long that black color fill actually lasts and what it is composed of to take the abuse of weather and UV etc.

Mark, are you asking about color fill in the lasered bricks? If so, that's not color fill, it's vitrified brick and should last as long as the brick lasts. That's the beauty of lasered bricks over sand blasted with color fill.

Larry Bratton
06-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Mark, are you asking about color fill in the lasered bricks? If so, that's not color fill, it's vitrified brick and should last as long as the brick lasts. That's the beauty of lasered bricks over sand blasted with color fill.

On the note of color filling it though..my research says to use Lithochome stone paint, made for filling and painting tombstones. Should have good longevity.