PDA

View Full Version : Easter, Family and Prayers

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-17-2003, 8:37 PM
Hello,

I wanted to post a quick thank you to Ray and his wife for having us all over at his place last weekend for the Pond bash. I was thrilled to meet so many friends that I had never met; it was an incredible feeling to feel so welcomed and so accepted.

I have come home to some difficult and unexpected news so I will post more later, next week.

I lost an uncle this week, Gord was a wonderful man. He had been a pilot for Air Canada dating back to the early 60’s, flew Viscounts, DC-8’s, DC-9’s, 747 and later was the first to fly AC’s first Airbus. Gord was an avid sailor and golfer, a kind and sincere man. My first memory of him is about a time putting hay away in the barn at the family farm, he drove up in the late evening and we needed light to see what we were doing, he drove his Austin Healey MKIII across a field to put light where we needed it, what a car! He passed away after a long illness, we are grateful for the passing of his pain.

We also received some very troubling news about a family we are very close to. Alice and Jeff (early 40’s) adopted a child like we did, from China. Their daughter Christina is 6 months younger that our daughter Dana. Christina and Dana play violin and piano together and we socialize with them quite often. This past weekend Alice had a seizure at home and was rushed to hospital, there she was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer, she has been given 2 months to live. We are devastated for them, mostly for Christina who will loose her mom at such a young age; they are each others best friends.

This weekend, at Easter, please take the time to appreciate what you have, your children, your families, your friends…..it can all be taken so quickly from us….please take the time to remember and appreciate how special each person is who you have in your life…….and say a little prayer for a little girl who has faced a great deal in her short life and will need incredible strength to understand why her mom is dying…….suddenly so little matters right now in our hearts except what we feel for them.

Take care,
Jim

Tom Sweeney
04-17-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the news.

I will keep you & your friends in my prayers. I have friends that have addopted two beautiful little girls from China. Laura is probably about the same age as your daughter. I know from talking to them that families that have gone through the process stay very close. I hope & pray that that little girl will be protected & loved enough to get through this - I know she will be.

Von Bickley
04-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Jim,

Your post was very touching to me in a special way. Three weeks ago, my 86 year old mother almost died. The doctors told us they had done all they could do for her. Today she is at a nursing home and hopes to be home in about two weeks. Our prayers are being answered and I know that prayer works.

With all the bad news that we are faced with every day, people dying with cancer, people contracting cancer, our soldiers dying in far a way places, people dying on our highways by drunk drivers, people living in areas where they are in fear for their lives, and the list goes on and on. With all this going on, let us be thankful for what we have and pray for those that need our prayers.

When we stop and think about everything that is going on, it's hard to imagine some people complaining about forum rules, and fussing about posting a web site address or not. Lets get real people, there's more important things to worry about.

Jim, I will pray for your friends and family tonight.

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-17-2003, 11:00 PM
I couldn't have said it any better Von. We will remember this family in our prayers this Easter Weekend, and throughout the upcoming months. It is always hard to hear of someone who is taken in the prime of life by some unforgiving illness, regardless whether you know them or not. It is especially hard when young children are involved, because they are so innocent and do not always understand the sometimes cruel, unexplainable things that life holds in store. Jim, be assured that your friends and family will be the focus of my family's prayers. May the good Lord hold them in his hand and guide them through the trying times ahead.

Bob Lasley
04-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Jim,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle and your friend, Alice. I lost a good friend to brain cancer about 15 years ago and he left two little ones. Rest assured my thoughts and prayers are with your family and Alice's family.

Bob

David Rose
04-17-2003, 11:26 PM

Glenn Clabo
04-18-2003, 9:17 AM
PAX VOBISCUM
Peace be with you

Charles McKinley
04-18-2003, 9:36 AM
Hi Jim,

It was nice meeting you last weekend. My prayers go out to your and your friend's family. I look forward to seeing you again and maybe our families meeting.

Peace be with you,

Charles McKinley

Dale Sherman
04-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Jim, it was good to see you again at Ray's Ponder gathering. Sorry you came home to so much sad news.

Your uncle sounds like he was a wonderful man with a rich and full life. Yes, it is both sad and comforting that he has passed away. Peace will be with him.

Two families in Syracuse recently adopted girls from China, but they came with SARS. Thankfully, they are expected to recover fully. I am posting this from our friends' house in Brooklyn. They have two deli.ghtful young girls from China. I can only pray that your friends will receive much support and prayers at such a difficult time. I am especially sad for Christina who must learn to cope with so much at such a young age.

Thanks for the reminder to be thankful for what we have this Easter.

Peace to all,
Dale

Lee Schierer
04-18-2003, 12:38 PM
It was great seeing you again. Sorry you came home to sad news.

As always, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends.

Lee

Gary Hern
04-18-2003, 3:07 PM
Sorry to hear that you went home to this. It was very nice meeting you in person finally. Hope to do so again one day.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your close ones!

Take care,

Gary

John Miliunas
04-18-2003, 8:45 PM
Thank you, Jim. I believe you've made many of us realize how truly lucky and blessed we are. I know I am. So, my "Thanks" and my prayers go out to you, your family and to the family of Alice. Peace be with you.

Jason Roehl
04-19-2003, 6:20 PM
Ask and you shall receive...our prayers are most certainly on their way on behalf of your family and your friends and their family.

It was good to finally meet you at Ray's.

So much for the Red Wings.