PDA

View Full Version : Lasering Sterling Sliver

Terry Swift
06-14-2011, 6:09 PM
Looked at a couple of "old" posts from people asking the question; but nothing really current - so does / will Cermark laser okay on Sterling and other precious metals or is that best left to diamond drag / rotary style engraving?

Bruce Volden
06-14-2011, 7:59 PM
Cermark does not do well on these types of metals. Looks great till you wipe it off and then it's gone! These types of metals dissipate the heat necessary for the cermark to "bond". I also have never had consistent results on chrome, brass, aluminum or copper, not to say I haven't tried.

Bruce

Mike Null
06-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I have stopped trying to do aluminum and brass with Cermark and wouldn't even consider sterling silver. I might try silver plate but am skeptical of that.

Michael Wintermute
06-14-2011, 11:10 PM
A few years back I attempted a sterling silver bracelet, But as Bruce mentioned looks good but wipes off.
Soooo, I slowed down the speed ... it reflected back onto the window and left a nasty scar, I did not change the window as it is not too deep and it is a good reminder that the laser is NOT an end all, do all tool ... somethings just need to be treated differantly ;)
Mike

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I have stopped trying to do aluminum and brass with Cermark and wouldn't even consider sterling silver. I might try silver plate but am skeptical of that.

Tried it. It didn't work! Half of the cermark stuck and the other half just rubbed away. The problem with the plate that I ran into was it tarnished everywhere the cermark was. Thankfully the product was inexpensive when we replaced it!