PDA

View Full Version : Wood scaffolding?

Eric DeSilva
06-14-2011, 6:03 PM
I've got a painting/lighting project that has to take place within reach of a 20' ceiling. I'm thinking I need 14' tall scaffolding spanning about 20'. One problem, however, is that the last 4' or so is over a stairway.

So... got me thinking about just building a wood platform. I was thinking using two lines of 14' tall 4x4 posts, spaced 4' apart, with posts every 4'--essentially a 2x5 array of posts. I would bolt 2x4s (2x6s?) to the top front/back of each pair of 4x4s, sandwiching the 4x4 between the long sides of the 2x4--sort of forming five arches in a row. I could put 2x4 braces diagonally on the long run to keep the arches from falling over. Then put some 2x4s down flat on the top so each spans a couple arches, and put OSX on top of the whole thing.

Notwithstanding that I'm a former trad rock climber, getting on a 17' or 21' stepladder gives me the heebee-jeebies (I'm not sure I've got the floorspace to move a big a-frame ladder around anyway). And I can't figure out how to get conventional scaffolding to deal with the stairway. I realize this isn't your average woodworking project... Any reactions?

dave toney
06-14-2011, 6:21 PM
I would think that renting scaffolding would be the way to go.

Walter Plummer
06-14-2011, 7:10 PM
See if you can rent bakers scaffold like this. http://www.scaffoldingdepot.com/scaffolding-rolling-bakers-scaffold.htm It is 30" wide by 6' long by 6' tall. One section with the guard rail would get you 6' + high, so with a 8' pole you could roll it. I have used them a lot and really like them.

ray hampton
06-14-2011, 7:15 PM
the rental scaffolding can be disassemble and move inside then reassemble

Bill McDermott
06-14-2011, 7:22 PM
Hard to envision the set-up, but what about two plain old extension ladders, a pair of ladder jacks and a scaffold -- same as painting outside? Clearly, this ties you to working within safe reach of a wall, or a beam, etc..
http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/g/ladder-accessories/werner-ladder-jack.jpg

Steven Wahlert
06-14-2011, 7:38 PM
And I can't figure out how to get conventional scaffolding to deal with the stairway.

We have a two story foyer. After mulling over some of the same issues as yours, I used an extension ladder on the stairs with a 2 x 4 bolted to one leg of the ladder.
Leaned the ladder against the wall on the side of the stair with one leg two steps lower than the other.

Not sure if that fits your situation, but it worked for me. It was a lot easier then the different scaffolding arrangements I was considering.

Paul McGaha
06-14-2011, 8:00 PM
We had to paint the walls and ceiling around our stairwell a few years back. It's 2 story. I think about 17 ft high. We rented a couple of sections of baker scaffolding and I made some plywood boxes to support one end of the scaffolding from the stairs. A lot easier to paint off a scaffold than a ladder.

PHM

Larry Fox
06-14-2011, 8:07 PM
the rental scaffolding can be disassemble and move inside then reassemble
+1 to the rental

Ole Anderson
06-14-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.scaffoldingdepot.com/images/stairs.jpg

This is a baker style scaffold.

When working in a stairwell I will set up an extension ladder at the bottom of the stairs leaning on the wall with with one end of a extendable wood scaffold plank resting on a step of the extension ladder with the other end resting on the top step of the stairwell or even on a step ladder step for taller ceilings. Quick and easy.

For less than you would spend on the 4x4 wood and other material, you can rent a scaffold designed for the job.

Ole Anderson
06-14-2011, 10:39 PM
See if you can rent bakers scaffold like this. http://www.scaffoldingdepot.com/scaffolding-rolling-bakers-scaffold.htm It is 30" wide by 6' long by 6' tall. One section with the guard rail would get you 6' + high, so with a 8' pole you could roll it. I have used them a lot and really like them.

Cutting it in with an 8' paint brush takes a deft touch though.

Paul McGaha
06-15-2011, 3:42 AM
http://www.scaffoldingdepot.com/images/stairs.jpg

This is a baker style scaffold.

When working in a stairwell I will set up an extension ladder at the bottom of the stairs leaning on the wall with with one end of a extendable wood scaffold plank resting on a step of the extension ladder with the other end resting on the top step of the stairwell or even on a step ladder step for taller ceilings. Quick and easy.

For less than you would spend on the 4x4 wood and other material, you can rent a scaffold designed for the job.

This is similar to what I did except in my case the scaffold had to be turned 90 degrees. One end of the scaffod supported from the floor and the other end supported from the stairs (on some plywood boxes I made).

Eric DeSilva
06-15-2011, 8:59 AM
[QUOTE=Ole Anderson;1722240]http://www.scaffoldingdepot.com/images/stairs.jpg

Thank you--that was exactly what I was missing. Scaffolding newbie here. That configuration completely did not cross my mind.

ray hampton
06-15-2011, 9:23 AM
is it okay to ask a stupid question ?
what kept the scaffolding from tipping over when you climb the ladder ?

Eric DeSilva
06-15-2011, 9:28 AM
Are extension ladders OK to use as long walkboards horizontally? Is that safe? Is there a particular rating to look for to do that?

Charles Lent
06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Both Northern and Harbor Freight sell the scaffolds shown in the above pictures for about $200 per 6' section (2 verticals with locking wheels and one platform). Two of these can be stacked for a platform height of up to about 16'. Back in March I bought 2 sections and they have paid for themselves already. They are being used frequently. The height adjusts easily and the sections can be easily carried and set up by one person. Northern sells safety railing for their model for both the long and short sides of the platform, a great safety addition that gets used when not working against a wall. We are building some acme threaded posts to replace the wheels when working on uneven ground, since this has recently been a problem. Each will be an 18" X 1" acme thread rod with a flat plate welded on the base end, and a washer and acme nut to hold the base of the scaffold at the desired height. Neither company seems to carry a ready made solution for this.

Charley

Paul McGaha
06-15-2011, 6:28 PM
Ray, You could climb up either end of it as it sets in that picture. It's got a little weight to it. One full section with ends, braces, and board is probably something around 100 pounds. Very useful scaffold. Works well out in the open and can get into some tight spaces also.

PHM

is it okay to ask a stupid question ?
what kept the scaffolding from tipping over when you climb the ladder ?