PDA

View Full Version : generals salad bowl finish

cal thelen
06-14-2011, 4:48 PM
anybody ever use generals salad bowl finish? I Have used it alot and i like it but just wondering if I should be buffing after. right now i just usually put on 4 or 5 coats sanding with 800 in between coats. comes out very nice but would like a deeper gloss. any ideas. or is it what you see what you get? thanks

Jim Burr
06-14-2011, 4:54 PM
Any finish (so says the USDA) is safe once cured, if you can't smell it...it's cured according to several previous responses to similar questions. That being the case, you may want to try different finishes and see what the results behold.

Rich Aldrich
06-14-2011, 8:24 PM
Cal, So far, that is the only finish I have used. I emailed them about how long to wait before buffing and waxing. They said 2 weeks. I have turned about 40 bowls and have always done the process after a minimum of 3 days. If it was t weeks, it was the first bowls because I didnt have the buffing system yet.

I now need to start branching out using different finishes.

Cathy Schaewe
06-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Bill Neddow uses nothing but General's Salad bowl finish, according to his blog. That says a lot, for me.

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2011, 9:25 AM
I quit using Generals Salad bowl finish becuase I had some bowls I did 3 or so years ago and these got used 3 or 4 times a week start going bad. Thank goodness I had a foot on them as I took them back out to sand down to the wood and refinished with Antique Oil. Have not had any problems with it. Ernie Conover told me he also quit using it for the same reason and now uses strictly Antique Oil. The bowls I use the salad bowl finish on that are just used for fruit or candy display bowls are still ok but not the ones used often and washed.