PDA

View Full Version : An Unexpected Creeker Visit

James Combs
06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
This past Saturday I got together with one of our local club members, Frank H. to take down a couple Honey Locusts on a friend of mines farm. I met Frank at the local McD's and what do you know, Creeker Rex Guinn was with him, a pleasant surprise. Rex is also a member of our club, www.bluegrassareawoodturners.org (http://www.bluegrassareawoodturners.org).

Here are some photos of the project. After I took the photos I realized I should have got a couple of the standing trees.:o Oh well...

Here is Rex and our host "Guy(first name)" cleaning up some the debris.

Here is Frank getting down and "scratchy":eek:

Here is everyone pitching in. Hey me too, I have the really hard job behind the camera.:D

In case any of you haven't seen Honey Locust ala natural, check out those thorns.

We took down a second tree that was dead hoping to get some dryer wood but it was too far gone so we stacked it up for burning.

This is Rex hard at it:rolleyes:

Some of the results of the effort. There was a couple more pieces in my truck.

John Keeton
06-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Sure is a "thorny" subject you brought up in this thread, JD!!:eek: Good to see that Frank, Rex and Guy were there to help, but I imagine holding that camera was tough work, too!:cool:

Looks like you guys ended up with a nice haul - I expect to see some posted work from all of this!

Steve Schlumpf
06-14-2011, 4:23 PM
Always great to hear of Creekers getting together - specially when they are getting some turning wood!

WOW! First I have seen of Honey Locust and those aren't thorns - them are spikes! Would sure want to make you pay attention as to where you are grabbing that stuff!

Looks like some really pretty wood though and I look forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Jim Burr
06-14-2011, 4:48 PM
That stuff sure is scary!! Hope the meeting wasn't...and yes, head photog is hard work!!

David E Keller
06-14-2011, 8:16 PM
Man, I've got it bad... I found my self studying the 'burn pile' photo and picking out the pieces I'd turn first.:o

Sounds like a good gathering!

James Combs
06-14-2011, 9:40 PM
Man, I've got it bad... I found my self studying the 'burn pile' photo and picking out the pieces I'd turn first.:o

Sounds like a good gathering!

It is quite punky but stop by tomorrow and I will help you load all you want.:D

David E Keller
06-14-2011, 10:01 PM
It is quite punky but stop by tomorrow and I will help you load all you want.:D

If I were closer, JD, I'd take you up on that offer.

Mike Cruz
06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Always fun getting together with others to cut up some wood, isn't it? Even better when it is with turners. And even better yet when you get to meet a Creeker in the process. Nice haul. Looks like you guys had fun.

Gary Conklin
06-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Looks like fun. I'd love to get my hands on a bunch of those thorns.

Donny Lawson
06-15-2011, 6:46 AM
I've never turned any of that before but it looks to have some great color in it. Creeker visits are always nice.

Mike Cruz
06-15-2011, 7:25 AM
Gary, if you were closer, I'd tell you to come by and clean 'em off my sweet locust. I have to do it every year on the one in one of our horse fields. Don't want a horse getting stabbed with those!

Scott Lux
06-15-2011, 8:13 AM
I've never turned any of that before but it looks to have some great color in it. Creeker visits are always nice.

Donny, it's beautiful wood, but some where between concrete and titanium on the hardness scale when it's dry.

If I recall correctly, Leo Van Der Loo has done a of of great work with honeylocust.

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2011, 9:19 AM
James a creeker visit is priceless in my book. Looks like some nice wood there. I have turned quite a bit of honey locust and when dry it is some hard stuff requiring sharp tools for sure. The thorns can be used as nails.LOL

Dick Wilson
06-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Jim, Great haul for some sweat equity. The first thing I thought of when I saw the log with all the thorns was, hmmmmm, I wonder if the thorns might be incorporated into the final piece.......a thorny "finial" perhaps.