PDA

View Full Version : My First Post - Finishing Question - Streaks in African Mahogany

Danny White
02-10-2005, 10:31 PM
This is my first post on this forum. Hello everyone! I've got a little problem with some African mahogany. I am testing different finishing options on scraps of African mahogany. As you can see in the photo, there are very pronounced streaks in the grain.

This African mahogany is sort of a pain, the grain direction changes wildly and the wood tears a lot even with sharp tools. I'll go back to Honduran next time. I've always used Honduran in the past and for some reason I bought African last week!

The piece at the top has been treated with a mild solution of Red Devil lye. The streaks have been subdued slightly. The middle piece has been stained with Minwax golden oak. The bottom piece has been treated with tung oil. The streaks in the African mahogany seems really pronounced, and I would prefer to not have them. I searched past threads but had no luck.

I've only started experimenting, and I would appreciate any suggestions to remove the streaks. I want an even, aged-looking, dark brown finish.

http://www.friendswoodworks.com/images/mahogany.jpg

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-11-2005, 2:35 AM
You've already answered your own question...go back to Honduras next time. :(

I'm not sure what you can do with what you've got, other than live with it.

KC

Alan Turner
02-11-2005, 5:02 AM
Danny,
I have never worked this wood, so take this comment cum granna salus. The streaks are probably coming from the grain since they occur in all 3 finishing methods. Try a coat or two of shellac, clear, followed by toned shellac to gain your desired color, and then clear on top. Use dewaxed shellac, and you can then use any finish on top without fear of debonding. Best method of applying the toned shellac is to spray. I would recommend against sanding gthe shellac once the color starts going on. Wait till there are a couple of coats of clear on top. Otherwise, you will find that the sanding, being necessarily uneven, will make the color uneven.
Let us know how this comes out.
Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2005, 9:27 AM
Danny...don't have an answer for your finishing problem but.......Welcome to the 'Creek. I'm sure some of our more experienced members will have some good suggestions for your quandry! Again....Welcome!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-11-2005, 9:44 AM
Danny, I don't have any experience with Mahogany, but I did want to welcome you to the creek! I am sure that you will enjoy your stay here! Good luck on getting your finish perfect.

Paul Dwight
02-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I have some experience with this "problem," but I came at it from the opposite direction. I used quartersawn African mahogany because I wanted the ribbon-stripe figure, and was a little disappointed that my finishing schedule ended up making the figure rather subdued.

Anyway, I think the key to "taming" the ribbon stripe figure in your wood is to fill the pores with a colored pore filler. As you have found out, the "stripes" in the wood occur where the grain changes direction. My theory is that the pore filler reduces the prominance of this figure because (1) it gives a more uniform surface so that light tends to reflect off the wood the same way, even in the "striped" areas; and (2) the filler just plain obscures the wood grain to some extent.

On my project I was aiming for a dark, reddish-espresso color for the final piece and I filled the pores with Behlen's walnut colored Pore-O-Pac. The whole finishing schedule went like this: Stain wood with a medium mahogany NGR dye; seal with dewaxed shellac; fill pores with brown-tinted pore filler; seal with dewaxed shellac; topcoat with Fuhr 375 waterborne acrylic varnish.

If you don't want a filled-pore look, I expect you could obscure the striped wood figure with a heavy pigment stain like a gel stain. Or you could try sealing the wood with shellac and then applying a glaze (a heavy gel stain would work OK as a glaze). Applying a glaze over sealed wood makes it easier to manipulate the color.

Hope this helps. -- Paul

Mac McAtee
02-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Try a solution of Potassium Dichromate in water. Say 8 oz of water and a tablespoon of Potassium Dichromate. If there is any tannins in the lighter color areas it should turn the whole piece of wood a nice mahogany red/brown color. Wet and sand before using the solution so you don't have to do much sanding after applying the solution.

Byron Trantham
02-11-2005, 11:21 AM
How about aniline dye? I have used it on cherry which tends to bloch and the dye makes a very even result. Just a thought.

Wes Newman
02-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Danny, Why not make lemonade out of lemons. Use the Streaks as part of the design. I kind of like the look of the streaks, it doesn't look blotchy and highlights the grain.;)

Ernie Hobbs
02-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Danny, is it just as easy to find Honduran mahogany? The last time I tried to find some, I found it to be quite difficult. I used the african mahogony with excellent results. For about half the price of honduran, I thought it was a good alternative. I haven't stained it yet- I'm not finished with the chest-on-chest I'm working on. I probably will dye it to even out the wood somewhat. I'd be interested in what you end up doing.

Danny White
02-11-2005, 6:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm going to town tonight any purchase some dyes / stains for some experimentation. One thing I'm going to try is blending some dye in lacquer. I'll post a followup in a few days.