PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Question

Larry Klaaren
06-14-2011, 9:49 AM
Hi everyone!

After about five years of being downsized, working extra hours, etc., etc., and moving 200 miles, I haven't been in the shop (well it is in the garage now) much for about that length of time. I am working on a project and see that my drill press table is rusty. What is the best course of action here?

BTW, I have all the basic stuff, but my dad is giving me his planer and lathe and some other equipment, so I am kind of excited to get going again. My sanders and a few other tools got stolen (I left the back door to the garage open while I was gone one day) so I am kind of lucky to have some of these "new old" tools.

Larry

Gordon Eyre
06-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone!

After about five years of being downsized, working extra hours, etc., etc., and moving 200 miles, I haven't been in the shop (well it is in the garage now) much for about that length of time. I am working on a project and see that my drill press table is rusty. What is the best course of action here?

BTW, I have all the basic stuff, but my dad is giving me his planer and lathe and some other equipment, so I am kind of excited to get going again. My sanders and a few other tools got stolen (I left the back door to the garage open while I was gone one day) so I am kind of lucky to have some of these "new old" tools.

Larry

Well Larry, I would start with a rust remover (sold at any Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.). Apply per instructions and then brush with a wire brush, preferably brass. You can get a wire brush at the same stores as listed above. Once that is complete assess where you are at. Using a fine wet or dry sandpaper, work in one direction with the paper mounted on a good flat block. Once the table looks good dry it thoroughly and then apply a coat of paste wax and buff it out. I use Minwax furniture wax for this purpose and keep a coat on my jointer and table saw as well.

Larry Klaaren
06-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks Gordon,

One question. (I am good with some things and stupid about some) What do you mean by "wet sandpaper"? Is that as simple as wetting a piece of regular paperbacked sandpaper, or is it a specialized type of sandpaper? Thanks.

Larry

Gordon Eyre
06-14-2011, 1:46 PM
Thanks Gordon,

One question. (I am good with some things and stupid about some) What do you mean by "wet sandpaper"? Is that as simple as wetting a piece of regular paperbacked sandpaper, or is it a specialized type of sandpaper? Thanks.

Larry

Wet or dry sandpaper can be obtained at most auto supply stores. It has a special backing that stands up to being used wet. The grits on wet or dry sandpaper (at least the ones I have) range from 400 to 2000). I would use the 400 to 600 grit to start and then 1200 grit to finish it off. It will put a nice polished look on your table.

Don Jarvie
06-14-2011, 1:53 PM
You can also use WD40 with Scotch Brite pads. The red and gray are the coarsist and green semi-course. Spray some WD40 and scrub.

The rust is probably surface rust so you won't be killing yourself. It should come off in a jiffy.

John Thompson
06-14-2011, 3:16 PM
I've used both methods decribed by Gordon and Don... both will work. I would probably go the Scotch Brite pad with WD-40 method then follow up with wet-dry using WD 40 again as the lubricant.. Good luck..!!

Larry Klaaren
06-14-2011, 4:05 PM
Thanks guys. I will get on it tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I really appreciate your help.

Larry

Rodney Walker
06-14-2011, 6:02 PM
You can also use a single edge razor blade with WD40 or some other light oil followed with scotchbrite. Finish with a coat of paste wax to prevent more rust.