PDA

View Full Version : Self centering bits - Rockler vs VIX?

Rich Engelhardt
06-14-2011, 7:56 AM
Rockler has a special going on right now $13.99 for a three bit set of self centering bits & also free shipping for a limited time.

I have or should say I had a Ryobi that suddenly flew out of my hand one day and ended up in the field behind the house. Darndest thing I ever did see. One second I'm using it to butcher some hinge holes & the next thing it's flying through the air headed for the field.
(It would have travelled farther - but - I don't throw as hard as I used to years ago ;). )

I picked up a Hitachi #5/#6 at Lowes last week & it seems to do a fair job.

I've been waiting for Hartville Hdwe. to run a sale on the real VIX bits,,,but,,,who knows when that'll happen.

The Rockler sale seems to be a good deal - but - only if the bits are decent.
Anyone use the Rockler ones?

Harvey Melvin Richards
06-14-2011, 9:02 AM
I've never used the Rockler's, but I own and use several other Vix knock-offs. The knock offs are all usable, but no where as smooth as my Vix. I have a couple of Vix from the 80's, and they still work great.

Dave Gaul
06-14-2011, 9:19 AM
I have the Rockler ones, only used a few times, but they seem to work just fine...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2011, 9:21 AM
I just bought the Rockler ones but haven't used them yet. They seem to be just fine. It will be several weeks before I get to the point in my project where need them.

Alan Lightstone
06-14-2011, 9:23 AM
I have the Rocklers. Seem fine also. Never used the Vix, however.

Mike Harrison
06-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Bought a set of these 8 or 9 years ago, and have hung a truck load of doors using them. On sale for 7 bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_931.jpg (http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-hinge-drill-bit-set-41907.html)

Larry Edgerton
06-15-2011, 7:00 AM
I have both. The USA made Vix bits are better, seem to plug up a lot less, and I have some that have been in use for 25 years. If you are a homeowner I guess you could get by with the imports just fine though.

Larry

Curt Harms
06-15-2011, 8:38 AM
I have both. The USA made Vix bits are better, seem to plug up a lot less, and I have some that have been in use for 25 years. If you are a homeowner I guess you could get by with the imports just fine though.

Larry

Pretty good assessment. I bought a set of 3 from MLCS. They look identical to Mike's above. They work but don't clear chips well so the sliding center guide will sometimes stick in the retracted position and I have to work it a time or two to get the chips out. They're fine for a half dozen holes a day or so. If I used 'em a lot I'd want better.

Alan Lightstone
06-15-2011, 9:30 AM
I agree. The Rockler's do plug easily.

Dustin Brown
06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Can't comment on any of the others, but I purchased the VIX brand bits based on the idea they plug less. I don't know how much other brands plug up, but mine plug every single time on hard maple. Pain in the butt to clear them. Haven't tried them on other woods.

Quinn McCarthy
06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I have the Dewalt vix bit kit. It has a barrel with an open end that a double ended insert goes into. Vicks on one side phillips on the other. You pull a barrel down to release the head. I think it is the slickest thing since sliced bread. Easy to release and flip head. You can do it one handed if need be. Way quicker than changing bits.

I hold that helps.

Quinn

Charles Wiggins
06-15-2011, 2:49 PM
Never used VIX, but I have the Rockler set. They're OK, as others indicate, but my biggest issue with them has been that sometimes the tip of the bit seems to get stuck and I have to bear down a bit harder than you'd expect to get the sheath to retract and expose the bit. When you have to do that there's a greater chance that you'll push the tip out of center. If I used them a lot I'd look for a better brand.

glenn bradley
06-15-2011, 7:19 PM
The VIX bits are nice but, I am still using a set of the Rockler ones I got 5 or 6 years ago. I think they were about $10 then. The drills are replaceable with standard jobber length bits or you can buy the special flat sided ones. I've only replaced one of the smaller bits once with whatever I had sharp, handy and the right size and its been in there ever since. Very handy for me.

Larry Edgerton
06-15-2011, 7:35 PM
Tip: Keep a can of TopCote handy and spray them once in a while, helps with the chip clearance.

Rich Engelhardt
06-16-2011, 6:00 AM
Thanks all - I ordered the Rockler set. We'll see how they do.
I don't need to use them all that often, so, I'm probably all set.