PDA

View Full Version : My name is John, and I misuse tools...

John Coloccia
06-14-2011, 12:18 AM
When I need to sand curves smooth, and it needs to be very precise, I often go to my belt sander....but I leave it turned off. I just use it as a large sanding form. Added benefit is when the paper loads up, I twist it a couple of inches and keep going. When it's completely full, I turn it on and clean it for a second. I have two different size sanders so I have two radiuses to play with.

I use digital calipers for layout. When I want an exact center point, I measure the width with calipers, divide by two, set the calipers to that number and mark the center from the edge using the inside measuring points as dividers. To really get it exact, I put something up against the edge so that the outer point has something to index to (a point doesn't balance well on an edge). Ditto for layout work from a centerline. Most woodworking occurs from edges, but most of mine is from centerlines. One day, I may wear out the points but I think that will take a LONG time on wood.

I'm curious what oddball uses other people have found for their tools? I'm not looking for anything dangerous. I know that other people out there have found "alternate" uses for their tools that we might all find useful.

Karl Card
06-14-2011, 12:27 AM
yours was a useful comment. I am not even going there....

Dan Hintz
06-14-2011, 6:41 AM
Hmmmm... using long levels as straightedges for saber saws, clamps instead of chisels for removing waste by snapping the grain, screwdrivers as at-hand chisels, and on and on.

John Coloccia
06-14-2011, 7:59 AM
Hmmmm... using long levels as straightedges for saber saws, clamps instead of chisels for removing waste by snapping the grain, screwdrivers as at-hand chisels, and on and on.

What's the thing you do with clamps?

Dan Hintz
06-14-2011, 8:54 AM
Difficult to describe, but image a few intersecting cuts in an end-grain piece... instead of pulling out the chisels and slicing away cleanly, I've been known to grab a clamp that was close by and crank down on it. It's not a clean snap, but I get enough of it out of the way to continue on (obviously this isn't a portion that would show).

Larry Fox
06-14-2011, 9:01 AM
- I use the butt of my cordless drill to "bump" pieces when fitting them on occasion when my mallet is not around.
- I do the same thing as op with dial calipers (I see nothing wrong with it either).
- I use scrapers for a lot of stuff where I need a spacer. I have one that is on the thick side that I put under the top part of the fence on my Domino when I need something to be just a smidge (sorry for the technical term) proud. I also have one which I have ground a sharp edge on one corner of which I use for widening the slot for string inlay where necessary.
- I use my tablesaw as an assembly table
- I use the top of my Biesemeyer fence as something of a tool tray.
- I use my bandsaw as a holder for anything with a magnet on it. It's am MM-16 so it has a lot of surface area.
- Sliding table on shaper is used as a desk (and sometimes an impromptu bar) when not in use as a sliding table
- I use the intersection of the sole and the side of my #7 jointer plane as a strait-edge sometimes
- I have a Magnaswitch feather board and I often lower it down into my table saw through the throat taped to a broom handle to retrieve the arbor nut that I have just dropped in rather than remove the side panel.
- My 9" Klein linesman's pliars are used as a bottle opener WAY more often they they are used to cut wire.

Let's not even start talking about household items. My wife has stopped even trying to keep a decent set of measuring cups / spoons etc in the kitchen because I take them to scoop and measure finishes and you can't return them to the house after that.

I look at it this way - tools tend to have a primary purpose but there is not rule saying I can't use them for something else so long as it is not dangerous or abusive to the tool.

Alan Lightstone
06-14-2011, 9:25 AM
When we were first married, I caught my wife using a brass duck bookend as a hammer to put up a picture. She still laments when we sold that house with the duck still in it. Does that count?

Mark Ashmeade
06-14-2011, 9:29 AM
I use anything and everything as an impromptu bottle opener when I crack a beer having cleaned up the shop. Years ago I learned in the Army to use a lighter as a lever under the cap with my thumb as a fulcrum. Not always a lighter to hand, but there's always something!

Thomas L. Miller
06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
My wife (when "unsupervised") has been known to use a socket wrench ratchet as a hammer........
Tom

Mike Cruz
06-14-2011, 1:30 PM
I use a screwdriver to open paint cans...you and I may not have a problem with that, but to a painter, it is like nails on a chalkboard.

My disc sander is often a pencil sharpener.

I'll think more on this, John. I'm sure there are a ton...

David Weaver
06-14-2011, 1:35 PM
I like to choose a few victim chisels to flush curves on infill planes - steel sided. They usually come out totally obliterated, but they get me close enough that I can sand whatever is left of a transiting from wood to metal and have a flush fit.

I will use any object that has mass as a hammer. Anywhere, any time, no matter how expensive it is or how poorly suited. If you ever loan a tool to me, it will probably come back with dents in the handle from me using it as a persuader in some project.

I love to use the drum on the end of a belt sander to shape curves in metal. You'd be *shocked* how well that works with a coarse belt. You can work right up to a scribe line. It's hard on belts, but the money saved on the tool instead of buying the "right" tool to do the job (a mill?) makes burning through a belt or two on a plane small potatoes.

Love to use wood rasps to hog brass, too. Once they get a little dull, even better. they work great.

Jim Rimmer
06-14-2011, 2:12 PM
I, too, use the top of my TS fence as a tool tray sometimes. And my router table seems to be a great clamp storage for small clamps. I have a couple of benches in addition to my worktable; the benches collect everything. The only saving grace is I have some clamshell cabinets above them so the stack of "stuff" has to be lower than the door so I can get them open.

Ben Hatcher
06-14-2011, 2:17 PM
I use my 1/4 sheet sander as a make shift concrete vibrator when making concrete countertops. The rest of my tools I use to convert expensive stock into dust and firewood.

Chip Lindley
06-14-2011, 3:57 PM
My 1"-wide Japanese laminated chisel makes a great scraper for rusty machine tops. It really does not dull the scraper and works great.

Andrew Hughes
06-14-2011, 7:13 PM
I used my irwin quick clamp to scratch my back just the other day.Then i used it to swing at a large bumble bee that was flying thru my shop.I know i wasnt be safe but thought the bumble bee was teasing me.

Myk Rian
06-14-2011, 8:39 PM
My 1"-wide Japanese laminated chisel makes a great scraper for rusty machine tops. It really does not dull the scraper and works great.

I use a 2" Stanley chisel for that.

Peter Quinn
06-14-2011, 9:13 PM
I use my 6" starret scale as a glue scraper for inside corners. I have never found a better tool for this, and its always in my pocket. Sometimes I even clean it when I'm done. I have even used it as a scraper on a few rare occasions when it was young and sharp. I use my DP as a beer capping station during brewing sessions..........ok, I'm lying about that, but I wonder if it would work? I have used a jointer with carbide blades to clean up an aluminum straight edge on occasion. Not my own jointer mind you, but it works well. Last week I used my block plane to shave some soft aluminum hardware that had shifted a few thousands during an installation, becoming proud rather than flush. I had no bearing surface for a router, so block plane it was. Turns out tool steel beats aluminum in a game of rock-paper-scissors!

Stephen Olson
06-15-2011, 2:59 AM
I don't consider it "misuse", I think of it more as "capability enhancement".

Brett Clark
06-15-2011, 8:38 AM
I don't consider it "misuse", I think of it more as "capability enhancement".

Or in software parlance "an undocumented feature."

Dan Hintz
06-15-2011, 9:24 AM
Or in software parlance "an undocumented feature."
My software doesn't have bugs... it has random features. If it's really noticeable, it's a feature with precedence.

Frank Drew
06-15-2011, 11:43 AM
IMO, some of these "uses" are abuses... just a couple of letters, but what a difference.

Steve Friedman
06-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Just "Off Label" use

Frank Drew
06-15-2011, 8:24 PM
Sure, some of the suggestions are simply "off label" uses, often very creative and or at least entirely harmless, nothing wrong with that; others, not so much.

Of course, any is free to use or abuse their own possessions as they see fit, but, not trying to be either a killjoy or a scold here, I can tell you that you'd get your ass handed to you in many professional shops if you used someone else's tool is some of the manners mentioned. Just sayin'....

Larry Edgerton
06-16-2011, 6:52 AM
I ran over my chain saw with the tractor yesterday. Set it on the tire to sharpen it. Can't see the tire because of the loader, and you know the rest of the story........

David Weaver
06-16-2011, 7:59 AM
I ran over my chain saw with the tractor yesterday. Set it on the tire to sharpen it. Can't see the tire because of the loader, and you know the rest of the story........

That makes you wish they were made of rubber (the chainsaws) after you find out how much damage they take. Hope it wasn't an XP or an MS660 or something!

Mike Cruz
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Larry, I ran over my Poulon 20" chainsaw with my tractor. It fell off the loader while bringing up some wood and I hadn't noticed it missing until it was too late. $25 in parts and it was right as rain! Go figure...

Max Coller
06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I've used my dust collector as a wasp collector. The repurposing of the technology makes it more satisfying than resorting to the more pedestrian flyswatter. Plus I enjoy the "Oh Crap" look on their angry little faces as they approach the event horizon.

John Coloccia
06-16-2011, 10:56 AM
I use my 6" starret scale as a glue scraper for inside corners. I have never found a better tool for this, and its always in my pocket. Sometimes I even clean it when I'm done. I have even used it as a scraper on a few rare occasions when it was young and sharp. I use my DP as a beer capping station during brewing sessions..........ok, I'm lying about that, but I wonder if it would work? I have used a jointer with carbide blades to clean up an aluminum straight edge on occasion. Not my own jointer mind you, but it works well. Last week I used my block plane to shave some soft aluminum hardware that had shifted a few thousands during an installation, becoming proud rather than flush. I had no bearing surface for a router, so block plane it was. Turns out tool steel beats aluminum in a game of rock-paper-scissors!

I haven't used mine to scrape but I do use it to spread epoxy when I'm doing inlays. I've found nothing better for getting the epoxy to squish into the little crevices. I suppose I could just buy a small piece of spring steal, but a quick wipe with alcohol is all it takes to bring the rule back to new, so why bother? I imagine that if I just let it dry, it would just crack right off, but I haven't been brave enough to try that because I really do like that little rule.

David Nelson1
06-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I've used my dust collector as a wasp collector. The repurposing of the technology makes it more satisfying than resorting to the more pedestrian flyswatter. Plus I enjoy the "Oh Crap" look on their angry little faces as they approach the event horizon.

Ok Steven Hawkins LOL:D

Jim Rimmer
06-16-2011, 2:10 PM
On my current project I have a row of 8 mortises of 1/2". I made them with a plunge router and now have to turn round holes into square holes (BTW, there are 4 pieces with 8 mortises each). Last night I used my hollow chisel mortiser and a rubber mallet to "mark" the holes so I can chisel them out. :o It worked pretty well.

Chris Padilla
06-16-2011, 3:17 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned but I use rubber scrapers (spatulas...made of soft rubber for kitchen...useful for removing all the batter from the bowl) to facilitate the same idea only with paint and finishes. I just buy my own rather than upset the LOML. :)

Larry Edgerton
06-16-2011, 5:39 PM
That makes you wish they were made of rubber (the chainsaws) after you find out how much damage they take. Hope it wasn't an XP or an MS660 or something!

It is an XP. But to its credit, all it needs is a new handle. Well, it does have a few "Character" marks.....

Jim Finn
06-16-2011, 8:13 PM
At the end of a great day of making sawdust I lean back in my chair and use the work bench to set my wine glass on ......just sippin' and dreamin'...

Tom Horton
06-17-2011, 6:57 AM
Paint brushes make great dusters..... and my shop vac is usually the blower to get the wood chips out of the shop. Easier than vacuuming them up and then emptying them into the compost.....

Tom Walz
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
ice picks - start screw holes, small drift punch, scribe, clean small holes
dishwasher for cleaning stuff - no recommended for married guys

Tom Cornish
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
I have an enormous pair of Channel-lock pliers that often get used as a Crescent wrench, a hammer, an oil filter remover, and a home invasion deterrent.

Jerome Hanby
06-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Everyone needs that enormous pair of channel locks. I call mine the persuader!

Frank Drew
06-18-2011, 12:55 AM
I've used my dust collector as a wasp collector... I enjoy the "Oh Crap" look on their angry little faces as they approach the event horizon.

Too funny, Max! :D

Peter Scoma
06-18-2011, 1:28 AM
I use a screwdriver to open paint cans...you and I may not have a problem with that, but to a painter, it is like nails on a chalkboard.

Interesting. What should one use to open a paint can?

PJS

Keith Harrell
06-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I have a pocket knife and the blade is getting shorter all the time and has to be reground. It happens mostly when I use it on Philip screws

Harvey Pascoe
06-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I use and icepick to push small pieces of wood through the table saw. It never slips.

I like nice looking tools so my tendency to abuse them is very limited. But as long as it doesn't disfigure the tool, wouldn't hesitate to use it for any other purpose. Does clamping a plane in the vice and dragging the piece of wood over it qualify? Or how about using my plane irons to cleanly cut veneers with a tap of a hammer?

To spread epoxy or any glue, I cut strips of clear plastic bubble packaging (from the back, flat side) with scissors. Makes great throw away applicators in any size needed. So save your bubble packs! They're good stuff.

Frank Drew
06-19-2011, 4:08 PM
I use and icepick to push small pieces of wood through the table saw. It never slips.

I've done that; I think I read it was an old pattern maker's trick. I've also nailed a 4p finish nail into the end of a dowel, cut it off to about 3/4" long and sharpened the end, for the same purpose.