PDA

View Full Version : My chuckle of the evening

John Coloccia
06-13-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm listening to the John Batchelor show, and David Livingston from "The Space Show" is on talking about NASA, and he mentioned that they've had problems when they tried to rush things...

"like forgetting to convert from metric to regular numbers".

LOL.

I know he misspoke, but really didn't he just finally say what most of the country feel in their hearts?

Greg Peterson
06-14-2011, 12:14 AM
True dat!

On another note, how is your shop holding up now that you've had some time after the rearranging?

John Coloccia
06-14-2011, 12:33 AM
True dat!

On another note, how is your shop holding up now that you've had some time after the rearranging?

Very well, actually. The only things that's shaking things up slightly is I'm adding a spray booth in a corner, so I had to knock out some of my shop made benches. Oh well. Other than that, I'm generally pretty happy with the layout. Making that smaller room my main "studio" has really helped. It's so much more comfortable to work in there. Even when I need to go to the power tools, I do all my layout and thinking in the comfy part of the shop, and then I just walk into the other side and just quickly crank it out.

Having that separation has definitely brought a sense of deliberateness to everything. Now, I do a lot more preliminary layout work and my machine time tends to be a marathon of get in there get'r done. Before, I would constantly scramble back and forth between drawing lines and cutting, sometimes drawing my lines with a whatever power tool was handy....LOL. Tell me we haven't all been there where we just start cutting until it looks right :) I guess reorganizing wasn't necessary for this, but it certainly helps to have a comfortable place to do "quiet" work were the tools aren't calling out...

Greg Peterson
06-14-2011, 9:54 AM
A quiet space for design and hand tool work is an fantastic idea. Glad to hear that the unintended consequences were a positive.

I just finished moving back into my shop. I had everything stored in a POD while I finished the drywall and painting. Aside from the space being bright and defined, there is space. I no longer have to brisé volé my way across the shop. This is due in large part to the piles of scrap wood and other junk that were previously in the shop that now reside in the POD. Oh bother.

Your shop re-organization thread resonated for me and I kept that in the back of my mind during the construction phase. I like the arrangement now.

Now to figure out what to do with those scraps. I just know as soon as I get rid of them I'll need one.

Jim Rimmer
06-14-2011, 2:29 PM
I'm listening to the John Batchelor show, and David Livingston from "The Space Show" is on talking about NASA, and he mentioned that they've had problems when they tried to rush things...

LOL.

I know he misspoke, but really didn't he just finally say what most of the country feel in their hearts?

Didn't they actually have a deep space probe go way off course because of not doing the metric conversion? Or was that an urban legend? :confused:

John Coloccia
06-14-2011, 2:39 PM
Didn't they actually have a deep space probe go way off course because of not doing the metric conversion? Or was that an urban legend? :confused:

Slammed into Mars, I believe. I just thought is was funny that he referred to it as "regular" numbers. :D

David Cefai
06-14-2011, 2:50 PM
Both NASA and ESRO have had problems with conversions between sensible numbers and those weird "one number over another" ones that you lot use :-)

However I think the classic one was the first European rocket where sections were built in different countries. They all used their own (standard) plugs and sockets!

After a massive redo of the connections the darn thing went out of control shortly after lift off.

Kent A Bathurst
06-14-2011, 5:19 PM
Slammed into Mars, I believe. I just thought is was funny that he referred to it as "regular" numbers. :D

Yep - powered right in. The lesson: 1 newton-meter does not equal 1 foot-pound.

Rod Sheridan
06-14-2011, 6:14 PM
Both NASA and ESRO have had problems with conversions between sensible numbers and those weird "one number over another" ones that you lot use :-)

LOL................Yep, sounds about right............Rod.