PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow of Some

Scott Hackler
06-13-2011, 11:38 PM
...emerges from the foggy dark and so looms the shadow of grace.

This piece came to me in a vision, as they say, from studying my last finial. I have attempted to capture the feminine form in its base. To me those curves define elegance.

African Blackwood. 6 3/4" tall x 1 3/4" at the base. Finished with black shoe polish only.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks

I will be interested how this one goes over with the group. I know its pretty "artsy". :)

Tim Thiebaut
06-14-2011, 12:23 AM
I like it alot, it reminds me of the clay mother figures that have been found in france from the caveman period, although yours is much more elegant obviously. I would put this on my fireplace mantel.

John Keeton
06-14-2011, 7:03 AM
Neat pic, Scott!! Not only are you experimenting with form, but you are having fun with that new photo setup, too!

I like this piece, and I think you captured the concept you were after very well. If you do another, I would elongate the "head" portion to pick up on the "hip" portion a little - perhaps even with a little rolled flare as at the bottom to reflect flowing tresses. I believe it would add to a very elegant piece. Up close, I bet the Blackwood really looks nice on this one.

Scott Hackler
06-14-2011, 8:52 AM
John, you and I are exactly on the same page. I took this one off the lathe and brought in inside for the LOML opinion. I specifically asked, shouldn't I elongate the head and what about drawing down the bottom of the "dress" to a wine glass flare. lol. I guess the men see the shape different than the ladies. IF I do another one of these, those two changes will be incorporated. This was just an experiment and a kinda wierd thing in the sense that holding it in your hand doesn't produce the required effect as looking at it against a contrasting colored background.

Thanks for the comment from you and Tim. It is interesting to see what others think about experiments.

Steve Schlumpf
06-14-2011, 9:15 AM
Scott - this is pretty cool! I can see what John is saying about elongating the head and flaring the base but this piece works as is! If it were mine - I probably would be more concerned with the head area as it doesn't quite follow the same flow/curve as the body - mainly the curve at the 'forehead' area. I do like the silhouette concept and have seen a variety of turnings that play with the idea. I can see this - like Tim mentioned - sitting on a mantel. Very cool idea - kind of a turned statue! Looking forward to seeing where this takes you!

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Very nice work Scott and a beautiful piece of wood to do it from. As others mentioned, elongation of head would be nice, and I wonder what softening the shoulders would also do?
Again, as an experiment with form, you really nailed the key elements and you've done a superb job with the lighting to really make the form take on more shape and emphasis.
You just keep setting that bar higher...and that's refreshing.

John Keeton
06-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Scott, just checked back in to see what kind of comments you are getting on this one. I probably should clarify my comment on the head area - when I said flare the bottom I was referring to the bottom of the head area to represent hair settling on the shoulder. One could use a smaller version of the lower torso for the head - such that the "hip" area was the head, and the "dress" area was the hair. I think that would pull it all together with flowing curves, but as I said, it is an elegant piece as turned.

Scott Hackler
06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Ah ha, I see what your talking about now. I struggled with trying to figure out the head portion. Your idea makes perfect sense NOW! Where were you last night? lol. I wan't planning to make another but maybe I will make one more and try to refine the shape. Its kinda hard to visualize the correct proportions when you are just going for a silhouette and not a true carved form. I think the next one needs to be incorporated on a base WITH a lighter background attached, so the silhouette is forced immediately. I dunno. I am just messing with forms. :)

Greg Ketell
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I Really like it. You were very successful in representing the woman-form with it!

Harvey Ghesser
06-15-2011, 1:16 PM
Scott, that is just awsome and very, very creative!