PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a Starrett square?

Matthew Bobek
06-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi all, I recently finished a rather large project and noticed that both my double square and combo square were pretty grimy. I know my hands were pretty dirty and there seems to be some staining on the squares, I guess there officially broken in! But there was a small spot that looked like some rust. It was pretty humid a couple days and I think that may have done it. I took some fine steel wool and gently buffed the surfaces that I was concerned with and they seem to be fine now. My question is: is this how you guys would go about this or is there another way? Also, would doing this have any potential to damage the accuracy of the square? It doesnt seem like it would because the contact is so isognificant, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I checked them for square afterwards and they're right on, but I'm just curious. Thanks!

Bob Wingard
06-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I can't remember where or even when I got them, but I have a handful of some eraser-sized thingies that are impregnated with an ultra fine abrasive. I think they were called RUST ERASERS ... they work just fine in the humidity here in East Tennessee. I'm sure they are still available somewhere, probably at an industrial supply house or such.

Bruce Page
06-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Gray scotchbrite will make them look better than new. Apply paste wax after cleaning.

Ben Abate
06-14-2011, 6:18 AM
Matthew

I worked as a layout person for a large fabrication shop and have used Starrett products for over 30 years. when my items needed clean I used any type product similar to turpintine. Don't worry about taking the japaning out of the grooves, it you clean it and rinse it off and dry it they will be fine. They're Starretts not some cheap thing you find for $10.00. They're made to be used and to be cleaned. Also if you want to coat them after cleaning I used to use Boeshield 9 I believe it's called. Sometimes they do get pitted and it happens. Clean it up and see how it works, if the pits don't effect the sliding I wouldn't worry. If they do then you could do as the gentlemen above have recommended.

Matthew Bobek
06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've never given paste wax or T9 Boeshield any thought for my squares, I use it on my table saw, jointer, and planer, but not the small stuff. There's always something new to learn!