PDA

View Full Version : This weekend's turnings

Greg Ketell
06-13-2011, 9:07 PM
Our "Turner's challenge" for the next meeting is eggs. I came home and watched a few Youtube videos and they all used skews so I thought it would be good practice to try to do it using a skew too.

This was my first attempt. It looked good and felt good while the lathe was spinning but when it stopped....

Dang, I thought I had turned that out. Now mind you, the egg is now only about 1.5" tall and started out at least double that. The skew is not my friend. But I persevered.

This is my second attempt. Same blank stock as the last one but after many catches the egg was only about 1" long. But it was very nearly done I just wanted to refine the pointy end a touch and smooth out the finish. So I sharpened up my skew to "shaving sharp" and....

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Ok, put the skew back into its bucket of shame and grab my 3/8" spindle gouge. My first successful egg! Made out of "found wood" and only 1-3/8" tall by 1" wide. Finished with one coat of BLO and then rubbed with beeswax. (I wasn't going to bother finishing it but my wife insisted.)

But, I have proven I can make an egg with the spindle gouge so let's try something a bit bigger with a bit better wood. This one is made out of a chunk of a branch of hairy oak that a friend gave me. It is 2.5" tall and 1.75" wide. Finished with two coats of frictioned-in polyurethane followed by one coat of Renaissance Wax.

Greg Ketell
06-13-2011, 9:14 PM
Having proven yesterday that I can make eggs (even if I do have to finish the shaping with the 80-grit gouge) I decided to try a bit better wood. I had a block of old, very very dry spalted mango. I successfully turned the egg but it was fairly "blah". But, knowing my wife, I decided to go ahead and finish it anyway.

Since it was very dry and very powdery I hit it with a heavy dousing of thin CA. "OH WOW!!!" It is no longer boring wood. I hit it with several more coats of thin and medium CA, sanded it smooth and hit it with a couple of coats of Deft rattle-can gloss lacquer. It is 2.5" tall and 1.75" wide.
197958 197959 197960

Again, I apologize for the cell-phone picts.

cal thelen
06-13-2011, 9:42 PM
that is some awsome looking wood!

Jerry Marcantel
06-13-2011, 9:45 PM
That Mango egg is absolutely gorgeous.....Jerry (in Tucson)

David E Keller
06-13-2011, 9:47 PM
That mango egg is phenomenal, and the hairy oak is a looker, too!

Just curious, is that palm in the second photo?:eek: If so, you're crazy for trying to turn your second egg with a skew using that nasty stuff!:p

BTW, nothing wrong with that 80 grit gouge... One of my favorite tools!:)

Baxter Smith
06-13-2011, 9:49 PM
Practice makes perfect eventually. At least its supposed to!(except with skews) The mango is stunning!

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2011, 9:53 PM
Nice work Greg! Really like the Oak version because of the grain! The spalted Mango is amazing - lots of color! Thanks for sharing!

Greg Ketell
06-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Just curious, is that palm in the second photo?:eek: If so, you're crazy for trying to turn your second egg with a skew using that nasty stuff!:p

No, not palm. Remember that top part is only an inch tall: that is red oak. I'm not sure I would ever try an egg out of palm. Yikes!

Michael James
06-13-2011, 11:39 PM
That spalted mango is mesmerizing..................:eek:
oh.... good job on the eggs....fwiw, the skew is not my friend either, but I can get nice cuts with the sorby spindlemaster.
mj

Ted Calver
06-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Some very eggciting turnings!! The Mango is a beauty.

Rick Markham
06-14-2011, 1:45 AM
Those last two are spectacular, especially the mango. That is seriously some incredible looking stuff. +1 on mesmerizing!

John Keeton
06-14-2011, 7:08 AM
Greg, neat progression of pics! As noted, the mango and hairy oak eggs are great. While the mango is striking, I am with Steve on the oak - it is my favorite as the grain adds to the egg shape. The mango is distracting from the form - beautiful, but one does not notice the form, which is very nice, BTW.

Every time I have a session with my skew, it ends up being a "skating party" and I rarely pick one up. It has its place, but not often!

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2011, 8:47 AM
Great looking eggs. I like them all but the mango sure catches my eye. Love my skews, all 7 of them. Keep practicing and they will come.

Greg Ketell
06-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice work Greg! Really like the Oak version because of the grain! The spalted Mango is amazing - lots of color! Thanks for sharing!

Greg, neat progression of pics! As noted, the mango and hairy oak eggs are great. While the mango is striking, I am with Steve on the oak - it is my favorite as the grain adds to the egg shape. The mango is distracting from the form - beautiful, but one does not notice the form, which is very nice, BTW.

After reading these comments I spent more time looking at the eggs side by side and I definitely see what you mean about the Oak egg showing the shape better. I think the other part of it is the finish; to me the Mango is so shiny that the shine hides what is underneath (both the wood and the shape). But that is what my spouse requested so...

Greg Ketell
06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Great looking eggs. I like them all but the mango sure catches my eye. Love my skews, all 7 of them. Keep practicing and they will come.

I wish you were closer, I'd love to come spend a weekend/week/month with you and come home a master of the skew. Or even an apprentice with the skew. Right now the only thing my skews are useful for is for throwing across the garage.

Joel Albert
06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Greg,

Looks like we are pretty close to each other. Just curious about the "Turner's Challenge"? Which group is sponsoring the challenge? I am a member of the Diablo Valley WoodTurners and the Bay Area Wood Turners...

Joel

Greg Ketell
06-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Greg,

Looks like we are pretty close to each other. Just curious about the "Turner's Challenge"? Which group is sponsoring the challenge? I am a member of the Diablo Valley WoodTurners and the Bay Area Wood Turners...

Joel

Hi Joel,
Where do you hail from? It isn't in your profile.

It started out as a bunch of IAP folks getting together to show off pens. But some of us kept sneaking in non-pen stuff and now it is pretty much everything. We still organize on IAP in the Northern/Central California Chapter forum.

Several of us are members of the Bay Area Woodturners Association. I wish they would do challenges too!