PDA

View Full Version : Last month's turnings

Greg Ketell
06-13-2011, 8:49 PM
So our local group tries to get together ever 2-3 months. Since most of us are either pen turners or don't turn very often (me) we recently we implemented a "turner's challenge" to get everybody back to the lathe and to expand our capabilities.

We had a meeting this past Saturday and the challenge for that meeting was to turn lidded boxes.

Here is my first attempt at a lidded box. It is made of redwood burl, about 2-1/2" tall by 2-1/4" diameter at the base.

It looked really good so I decided to part it off and finish the bottom. I should have paid more attention....

Oh well. I have a basic understanding of what I am doing so on to #2.

Greg Ketell
06-13-2011, 8:55 PM
This one is Red Gum Burl. It was going to be basically the same shape as the first but bigger. Mother nature had a different idea for this box, though.

It ended up being just under 2" tall and 3.5" in diameter.

It is finished with a simple beeswax rub and friction polish. Hint, don't use beeswax when you have big open voids like that. Took me days to dental-pick out all the chunks of wax! :p

Looking at these close-ups it definitely needs some more sanding. Which will give me an opportunity to give it a real finish.

Pardon the cell-phone picts.

Baxter Smith
06-13-2011, 9:57 PM
Those are some very pretty things out of some small pieces of wood!

David E Keller
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Nicely done, Greg(except for the hole in the first one:p).

I think it's cool that your club does turning challenges... I've often thought that would be a cool exercise for this forum as well. I've seen some photos of your club meetings on IAP, and it looks like a good group. I've gotten some wood from Larry in the past, and it was beautiful stuff!

John Keeton
06-14-2011, 6:56 AM
Looking at these close-ups it definitely needs some more sanding.For whatever reason, this is a common occurrence - not seeing the sanding errors until the pics are done! I am not sure if it is because we are concentrating on the overall piece, aging eyes, or what, but it happens - too often!

Nice work, though, and a really nice piece of wood. Good detailing.

Jim Burr
06-14-2011, 7:05 AM
Beautiful wood Greg...challenges sound like fun!

Greg Ketell
06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
For whatever reason, this is a common occurrence - not seeing the sanding errors until the pics are done! I am not sure if it is because we are concentrating on the overall piece, aging eyes, or what, but it happens - too often!

For me, I think it is the "WOW! It didn't blow up yet!! Let's stop before my luck runs out!!"

Nice work, though, and a really nice piece of wood. Good detailing.

Thanks!

Greg Ketell
06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Beautiful wood Greg...challenges sound like fun!

Challenges really are. It "forces" you to expand your comfort zone. And for those of us who don't like doing the same thing over and over, it gives us(me) something new to try. And it gives the group something to discuss at the meetings: trials and tribulations, problem solutions ("how the heck do you hold the egg to sand the tenon area?"), success stories, etc.

Greg Ketell
06-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Nicely done, Greg(except for the hole in the first one:p).

I think it's cool that your club does turning challenges... I've often thought that would be a cool exercise for this forum as well. I've seen some photos of your club meetings on IAP, and it looks like a good group. I've gotten some wood from Larry in the past, and it was beautiful stuff!

Thanks David. Yes it is a good, diverse group. It is fun to see the creativity that each brings to the table. The only downside is we are so spread out. It is a 5-6 hour drive from one end to the other so we seldom get everyone in the room together.

Steve Schlumpf
06-14-2011, 4:30 PM
Nice work on both of these Greg! Really like the first one! Cut a piece of felt and throw it in there and you are good to go!

Challenges would be fun at club meetings and I may have to bring it up and see if there is an interest. I am sure it is just our club... but motivation (involvement?) seems to be in short supply... sometimes.

Greg Ketell
06-14-2011, 4:49 PM
Nice work on both of these Greg! Really like the first one! Cut a piece of felt and throw it in there and you are good to go!
I may do that! And/or maybe add a 1/8" piece of something dark to the base and to the base of the lid. But the felt will hide the hole nicely. Thanks for the idea.

Challenges would be fun at club meetings and I may have to bring it up and see if there is an interest. I am sure it is just our club... but motivation (involvement?) seems to be in short supply... sometimes.

One way to go about it is to demo something interesting then have that as the challenge for the next meeting. People show off what they made after the demo, see a new demo, go home and turn. I can attest that it really works for building motivation. The only turning I've done for a long while has been for our challenges.