PDA

View Full Version : A new high mark in good customer service from two great companies!

Dell Littlefield
06-13-2011, 7:46 PM
Would you believe a company would stand behind their product for 30 years? I just experienced that from ShopSmith. A year or so ago, I bought a 1982 model ShopSmith planer. Although it had been used very little, it needed a lot of work. It had evidently suffered from a bad fall. I got it up and running but continually had problems with keeping the pulley in place on the cutterhead arbor. The pulley was held in place only by a set screw on a flat spot on the arbor. I tried drilling a shallow hole for the set screw to go in but that still didn't hold it. I called the company and they asked me to send it in and they would grind a woodruff key slot in the arbor--AT NO COST TO ME! How about those apples?

My new Home Depot bargain Worksharp started making a thumping noise. I called the company and they sent out a complete new unit with accessories along with a UPS shipping label. My instructions were to keep the accessories and send the old unit back using the same box. Now I have spare glass plates, some more sanding disks etc., again at NO COST TO ME! I feel both companies went the extra mile to provide great customer service.

Mac Cambra
06-13-2011, 8:03 PM
I like hearing stories like this......

Tom Ewell
06-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Congrats on relaying the good will, most times only the bad stuff gets out there.

Karl Card
06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I guess if all the companies did this then these particulars companies would not be special. In other words there has to be bad to be good... hope that makes sense.

Gene Howe
06-14-2011, 5:26 PM
As a 40 year customer, I can vouch for Shopsmith's excellent service.
I'll take your word about Work Sharp. I haven't had to use them yet.

Zahid Naqvi
06-14-2011, 6:29 PM
Thanks for sharing Dell, I agree the good needs to be shared as well, the bad will almost always be shared/propagated.

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2011, 12:45 AM
I know some woodworkers like to make fun of us Shopsmith users but this is the reason why us owners just love the company.

When we call Shopsmith we talk to Jan. "Hey Jan when will my new belt sander ship? Dave, It was sitting on the dock when I came into work today waiting for FedEx to pick up.:)

Send an e-mail about a service parts, Dave will call you on the phone and make sure you get what you need.

My Shopsmith planer was purchased around 1990. Still like new after 20+ years. Made in Dayton Ohio